spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AllanR

@rogers.com

international credit expires

Be wary: hidden in the terms of service for international credit is a 6 months after purchase expiration. This is not stated anywhere on their web page, nor in the purchase confirmation email.
You can read this only in the TOS after you have given them your financial information, and it is well hidden among with the gobbledygook.

Caveat Emptor.

NObama
Premium
join:2005-11-09
Nashua, NH

MJ also keeps that money if your hardware dies. Not only is it non-refundable, but if your adapter craps out and you transfer your number to a new one, MJ keeps you money.

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to AllanR

said by AllanR :

Be wary: hidden in the terms of service for international credit is a 6 months after purchase expiration.

This is a total crock. I bought $40 worth of International Credit 10 months ago and still have a $35 balance.

Perhaps you only lose it if you don't use it, the same as Skype credit?

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to AllanR

I was right. International credit only expires after 6 months of inactivity. It's written clearly in the FAQ section which you can access without giving any personal or financial info before you purchase. And this FAQ page has not been modified since May of this year.

»magicjack.com/faq/

quote:
Your Question

How do I purchase International prepaid minutes?

--------------------------------------------------

Answer

To purchase prepaid minutes for International calling:

Click the bottom left corner of your magicJack SoftPhone on your computer where it reads "International"

OR

CLICK HERE

Note: Your prepaid miuntes expire after six months of inactivity.

Last Update: May 2, 2012

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25

I just checked mine and the $10 I had is gone. Long ago I assume. I do not recall reading that it expired at all (And I read those thing, not the ToS tho, scan a little maybe). For me it's not a huge deal but this is the first time I am disappointed with magicjack. I knew all the other caveats before getting a 5 year plan (two years remaining) I would still recommend it in the right situation for the person looking at it.

I would not have a issue at all if they sent a email saying it would become inactive in ***

lugnut

@look.ca

Like I said, the FAQ was updated in May. It's entirely possible they changed their TOS at that time. Nothing unusual about that. The agreements on my ISP and my Credit Card have changed easily a dozen times since I first got them. As far as notification goes, all I ever receive or expect is one simple message that the contract has changed, and it's up to me to read it and accept it or else cancel my service.

In this respect, Magicjack is no different than a million other companies out there. If ya don't like it, vote for your communist party candidate in the next election

MagicalPig

reply to AllanR

Yes and No. Since everything with Magicjack is prepaid I think there could be a legal argument that they can't force you to accept something that has already been agreed upon. It is not like when your cell phone company changes your contract. You have the right to leave with no ETF due to the material change clause. You can not leave Magicjack as you already paid for it.

I do not know if it was in the original TOS or not so the point may be moot.

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT
reply to AllanR

Small things have been happening with MJ's business practices near since inception which should have been red flags with regard to trusting the business. To the point that I'm embarassed to have renewed that second year.

But I did save a grundle... Plus, now that I use the device with GVJack it works well for me. At leastuntil Google gets greedy.

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to MagicalPig

said by MagicalPig:

Yes and No. Since everything with Magicjack is prepaid I think there could be a legal argument that they can't force you to accept something that has already been agreed upon. It is not like when your cell phone company changes your contract.

I dunno how it works in the US but I have a prepaid cellphone with about $100 of credit on it. And in the case of my dad with prepaid on another company he also had about 1000 rollover minutes on his cell that went *poof* when the company changed their TOS.

It may be on shaky legal ground but unless you're willing to lawyer up and drag them into a class action what you see is what you get.

The simple fact of the matter is that for $30 a year you have unlimited North American phone service with Magicjack and if you can find any better deals out there I'm ready to hear it.

As an American example, Skype has pretty much the same policy anyway. Any pre-purchased Skype credit that remains unused for 6 months goes *poof*.

I honestly don't think any judge would agree with your arguments on this one in today's business climate.

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to MagicalPig

Even on my own prepaid cellphone with Virgin, my $100 credit evaporates after twelve months.

Phone companies steal from consumers. It's a fact of life.

MagicalPig

I do not know if MJ did this but also remember in the US many companies are now forcing consumers to go to arbitration and not allowing class action lawsuits. (SCOTUS upheld this)

I personally do not care. It just irks me. I don't mind if the stuff is done up front even if it is buried in the TOS but I do not like when they change something that already has been serviced.

Also remember Skype send a email reminder.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
reply to lugnut

said by lugnut :

The simple fact of the matter is that for $30 a year you have unlimited North American phone service with Magicjack and if you can find any better deals out there I'm ready to hear it.

The MJ device used with GV via GVJack, at least for now.

said by lugnut :

Even on my own prepaid cellphone with Virgin, my $100 credit evaporates after twelve months.

Phone companies steal from consumers. It's a fact of life.

I don't know anything about Virgin, but T-Mobile has a similar policy. BUT if you recharge your prepaid minutes, even with their cheapest card, it starts the countown clock over again.

Also, I agree with your theft comment. But especially when it comes to cell phones, only because the customer allows them to do it! I stopped paying 'em, but one voice cannot make a difference in this mess.

said by MagicalPig:

Also remember Skype send a email reminder.

Not only do they send an email reminder, but all you need to do is use even just a small amount of credit and the countdown timer starts over. And actually, last time I checked, my credit was still available to me even though it was over the expiration date. All I needed to do was click a button to reactivate it. (That was before M$ though.)

lugnut

@look.ca

Virgin's policy is that if you recharge with a $20 card you get 3 months, $50 card 6 months and $100 card 12 months. Dunno what they give on a $10 card? 30 days?

Anyway, I charge up with a $100 card once a year more or less and by the time they've subtracted their $10 a month for the plan it's gone by 8 or 9 months and I recharge again.

Anyway, if you think American telecom companies are thieves I challenge you to shop around some of the Canadian carriers for prices. Our monopolies know how to put the screws on the consumer like nobody's business.

Google voice doesn't work in Canada and you can't get a Canadian Number so I'm more than happy to pay MJ $30 a year plus $10 for the Canadian local number plus the bogus buck whatever regulatory fee for what I'm saving in LD over Ma Bell.

Also I have no worries about the international minutes. Like I said, I bought $40 worth when I signed up last December and still have $35 worth. I think, like skype, the countdown restarts as soon as you use even one minute. We have relatives in Europe so we call them a couple of times per month.

In the past year MJ has saved me over $200 on my phone bills and even if they confiscated all my international credit I'd still be ahead at this point.

One other thing. I never signed up for the 5 year renewal because I'm smart enough to know not to buy a pig in a poke. My experience has been if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. I never lock into long term contracts for the same reason. Between autorenewals and weasel words in the ever changing TOS you can never predict if a company will even be in business more than two years down the road

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

Too bad GV won't work for you! But when they start charging me money to keep a phone number I've now had for near a decade YOU'LL be the one whistlin' Dixie!

I'm sure you can tell by my posts that I'm disenchanted with MJ. I dealt with their underhanded tactics for two years and it got to the point that, for me, cost vs service was not worth the price. I was jumping ship for netTALK near the end of my second year commitment when GVJack was released.

As far as not signing up for the 5 year renewal, I learned my lesson with Sunrocket when they went belly-up with way too much of my money in their hands.