All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Matiaus
join:2012-07-10

Matiaus

Concern for switching from Rogers to Teksavvy

After roughly 10 months of waiting, Teksavvy cable is finally available in my area! Currently I am getting ready to switch over and disconnect all services through Rogers cable but I have one concern on my mind:

Is it possible to prevent Rogers from disconnecting the cable line outside of my house once I make the switch?

This is important, as I cannot have a months downtime as read in several horror stories in these forums(»Teksavvy Horror Story ). At this point I've read that the only way to do this is to sign up as a "new connection" rather than a "transfer" ( »Re: I signed up for Teksavvy, but screwed up the process...help ). This way, the tech that comes to set up the "new connection" will then tag the line outside of my house with a "TPIA" tag preventing Rogers from "accidentally" disconnecting it.

Ultimately I would like to know if this is the correct way to go about switching especially since most of the threads that I've read come from a year back before the stop-sell.

Thanks in advance for your help.

quidnunc
@rogers.com

quidnunc

Anon

From what I'm reading elsewhere they will now put an orange marker on the line to signify a third party internet provider to avoid that confusion.

TSI Jonathan
Premium Member
join:2011-08-24
Chatham, ON

TSI Jonathan to Matiaus

Premium Member

to Matiaus
Hello Matiaus,

Glad that you can finally get cable service with us .

We do transfers from Rogers to us on a daily basis without any issues. First you would need to cancel with Rogers for them to provide you with a cancellation date. It is important to tell them that you will be switching to a TPIA. Usually they want a 30 days notice so your cancel date will most likely be 1 month away. once you have that date, as long as you give us 2 weeks notice before your cancellation date, we can simply transfer you over.

The more notice you give us the better it is so that if we need to re-verify information with you we still have plenty of time to make the correction and receive confirmation for your transfer of service.

To touch on the modem, if you plan on using one that is currently in use with Rogers, you will have to expect at least an up to 72hrs downtime. We would still need the two weeks notice so we can have everything in place. Rogers will de-provision your modem on your cancel date and re-provision it to us. It takes them up to 72hrs, sometimes less, sometimes the full 72hrs to do so.

If you are planning to use a different modem it is all done the same day. Your current modem goes down on the day of and you can replace it and be up and running within a few hours or less.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers,
Matiaus

Matiaus

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for your response. Just to be certain, what you are saying to me is that if I tell Rogers that I am switching to a TPIA, they themselves will tag the line outside of my house and know not to disconnect it in the future?

Thanks again!
Nemo888
join:2005-12-25
Canada

Nemo888 to Matiaus

to Matiaus
I got a sharpie and wrote, "TPIA Do Not Disconnect," on my box.

I did not do a transfer. I was a new connect with a new modem even though I owned mine. I gave the old modem to my brother the next month.

They have some growing pains from time to time and the VOIP offering is total crap but Teksavvy is still my first choice.
Matiaus

Matiaus

See, I would do the same if it did not mean tampering and opening the box itself. It would not work if wrote TPIA directly on the box itself since I know other houses on my block have access through that same box haha.
Nemo888
join:2005-12-25
Canada

Nemo888 to Matiaus

to Matiaus
Mine is on the side of my house.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to Matiaus

Premium Member

to Matiaus
When we submit the request to Rogers, we request a TPIA tag be added.
Matiaus

Matiaus

Hey Martin,

Thanks for letting me know. Just to be completely clear, "transferring" rather than a "new connection" at this day and age is the better, and will still guarantee a TPIA tag on the cable line outside of my house?

Thanks again!

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

As much as I'd like to say yes, since we don't do the install, we can't guarantee.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to Matiaus

to Matiaus
If you still have TV cable with them, you really don't have to worry about them disconnecting the cable. And if you see one of the trucks rolling around or stopped ask one of them to put a TPIA tag on your box too. They did for mine when I asked.
tsuda
join:2007-02-03
North York, ON

tsuda to TSI Jonathan

to TSI Jonathan
Hi, I'm also seriously thinking about switching from Rogers to Teksavvy. I just called them to cancel the Express 60GB service. Rogers said that they also have a 300G plan for Express now, and they offered a free modem and 20% off the regular price. I said well it's still $19 more than Teksavvy's $39.99 for 300GB.

They said it's more because Rogers provides higher service levels through backup links that Teksavvy does not have access to.

Is this true? Reliable internet is very important to me because I use voip.

Thanks.
said by TSI Jonathan:

Hello Matiaus,

Glad that you can finally get cable service with us .

We do transfers from Rogers to us on a daily basis without any issues. First you would need to cancel with Rogers for them to provide you with a cancellation date. It is important to tell them that you will be switching to a TPIA. Usually they want a 30 days notice so your cancel date will most likely be 1 month away. once you have that date, as long as you give us 2 weeks notice before your cancellation date, we can simply transfer you over.

The more notice you give us the better it is so that if we need to re-verify information with you we still have plenty of time to make the correction and receive confirmation for your transfer of service.

To touch on the modem, if you plan on using one that is currently in use with Rogers, you will have to expect at least an up to 72hrs downtime. We would still need the two weeks notice so we can have everything in place. Rogers will de-provision your modem on your cancel date and re-provision it to us. It takes them up to 72hrs, sometimes less, sometimes the full 72hrs to do so.

If you are planning to use a different modem it is all done the same day. Your current modem goes down on the day of and you can replace it and be up and running within a few hours or less.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers,

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

Their largest plan is 'ultimate' which is 250GB/mo for something like $84/mo. Their retentions dept. I believe can lower than that to keep you, but that's about it. Don't forget to enjoy that extra $100 screw-over fee if you go over.

Gimli
Premium Member
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4

Gimli to Matiaus

Premium Member

to Matiaus
said by Matiaus:

Hey Martin,

Thanks for letting me know. Just to be completely clear, "transferring" rather than a "new connection" at this day and age is the better, and will still guarantee a TPIA tag on the cable line outside of my house?

Thanks again!

ON a transfer, you will not have your line tagged. No tech gets sent to your home.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to tsuda

Premium Member

to tsuda
said by tsuda:

Hi, I'm also seriously thinking about switching from Rogers to Teksavvy. I just called them to cancel the Express 60GB service. Rogers said that they also have a 300G plan for Express now, and they offered a free modem and 20% off the regular price. I said well it's still $19 more than Teksavvy's $39.99 for 300GB.

They said it's more because Rogers provides higher service levels through backup links that Teksavvy does not have access to.

Is this true? Reliable internet is very important to me because I use voip.

Tell Rogers to prove it.
Ask them to send you network topology diagrams detailing all these 'backup links'.

Also tell Rogers that you're recording the call for 'customer satisfaction purposes'. Then ask them to repeat their 'backup' claim.
phabsch
join:2011-11-28
Waterloo, ON

phabsch

I just switched from Rogers to Teksavvy. Rogers was only providing internet (no TV, no phone). I told rogers (30 days in advance) I was transferring to teksavvy cable internet and told teksavvy the disconnection date.

The day of the switchover came and my Rogers connection didn't go down. I called teksavvy and they said "did you try plugging in the new modem to see if it's active?". I did that and it was up and running. I was happy to have gotten away with no down time.

Two days later my connection goes down and no signal is coming in to the house. A couple calls to teksavvy (not convenient since I had VOIP and pay-as-you go cell phone) and 5 days waiting for Rogers to send out a tech and reconnect the line was required to get my connection back up.

Five minutes after the service tech came out everything was good again. I ensured he put a TPIA tag on. I don't know why this sort of thing happens all the time.

I was sure to follow all the correct procedures on my end and I still had 5 days down time.

But now that all is said and done, I'm happy with the service. I just hope nothing else goes wrong, because it's a pretty long service chain: me -> teksavvy -> rogers -> teksavvy -> me... (rinse, repeat)
tsuda
join:2007-02-03
North York, ON

tsuda

I also have VOIP and prepaid cell phone so this scenario would be very bad so I would like to avoid it.

Any idea why the connection went down 2 days after the disconnect date and for 5 days? Why did they have to come out?

Thanks.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by tsuda:

I also have VOIP and prepaid cell phone so this scenario would be very bad so I would like to avoid it.

Any idea why the connection went down 2 days after the disconnect date and for 5 days? Why did they have to come out?

Perhaps Rogers likes to fuck with ex-customers?
chogo
join:2011-05-19
Ottawa

chogo to Matiaus

to Matiaus
If you do a service transfer than you are extremely likely to have some downtime. My brother did a transfer and he was out of service for a week.

The "best" solution to avoid any downtime is to get a new connection.

If you intend to reuse an existing modem then your best bet is to go to a Rogers store and get a rental modem. You will need to call Rogers daily to ensure that your old modem has been removed from your account (this can take several days).

Once the old modem is removed from your account then you can reuse it with Teksavvy.

If you don't mind some overlap then:
1) Cancel Rogers and give 30 days notice and indicate that you are moving to a TPIA

2) Order a new connection from Teksavvy immediately or at least 14 days prior to your Rogers cancellation date as time is needed to schedule the install. I stopped the tech at the door and told him he didn't need to enter as I was reusing the same modem on the same line that was working fine. (NOTE: you will be charged immediately when placing an order)

3) The new Teksavvy connection and Rogers service can and will be operating simultaneously so disconnect the Rogers modem and attach the Teksavvy/your modem. Confirm that the tech installed a TPIA tag. After the tech completes the work order, your Teksavvy service should be up and running within hour(s) provided there were no errors with the modem serial # or MAC ID entry.

4) Return the Rogers modem so you will stop paying the rental fee on it (this might even cancel your Rogers ISP service early but only if you have other Rogers services)

5) Enjoy saving money at Teksavvy
phabsch
join:2011-11-28
Waterloo, ON

phabsch to tsuda

to tsuda
said by tsuda:

Thanks.

All they had to do was plug the cable back in. For some reason Rogers dispatched a tech to disconnect the line (I tried to call Rogers to see why but they refused to answer anything because I was no longer a Rogers customer). They should have installed a TPIA tag, but that wasn't done until Rogers responded to my teksavvy complaint about no service.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to Matiaus

Premium Member

to Matiaus

Maybe people who switch from Roger to TSI should wrap the 'demarc' with a heavy motorcycle chain and padlock it in place, and place a note on it addressed to Rogers, saying that there is a TPIA service now inside the demarc and that they should piss off.
EHTL
join:2002-10-31
Canada

EHTL

They can still screw you up by disconnecting the cable at that green curb side box.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

No curbside box where I am.....they'd have to climb a pole..... that alone should be enough to discourage them from doing so and instead take the easier path of knocking on the door to find our that you're a TPI customer.
Laidback
join:2001-09-30
Cochrane, ON

Laidback to Matiaus

to Matiaus
I have tried to call Teksavvy twice today and the first time, I held for about 10 minutes and the second time for 5. That is pretty much 14 minutes longer than I care for. I called start communication and hit 1 for sales and got a live person right away. For 3 dollars a month more, it may be worth my while to move the service. Sad statement to say the least.