e_dub
franknbeans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-12
kickin ass

e_dub

Premium Member

[DIRECTV] Viacom

Viacom just forced DirecTV to suspend their channels. I was watching Comedy Central and then a message pop up stating all Viacom channels were suspended.

MTV, BET, Comedy, Nick, CMT, Spike, VH1, TVLand and others.
dgoner
Premium Member
join:2002-03-08
Knox, IN

dgoner

Premium Member

So tired of being played like a pawn in a game of chess. Maybe it's time to tell them all to stick it and cancel it all and torrent everything. That would save me about $ 1250 a year.
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc to e_dub

to e_dub
Doesn't help-but provides some info

»www.directvpromise.com/
Xorion
join:2012-07-11
Killeen, TX

Xorion to e_dub

to e_dub
The thing is Viacom has done the same thing to Time Warner with the streaming app for mobile device. Just goes to show you they are greedy. DirecTV is defending their subscribers, not screwing us. I totally think Viacom are @$$holes for their actions. From a Corporate standpoint, can you blame them? They have some of the highest viewers/rating on their channels. In this chess game, the customers are going to lose anyway you play it.

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

1 recommendation

Nuckfuts

Premium Member

To hell with Viacom. Personally, I am sick and tired of these stations always in dispute with TV providers. If it is not DirecTV it is someone else. I have never seen such screwed up companies since this depression started. Everyone wants more. Well, you can have those channels because I barely watch them since most of them are junk IMO.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

Viacom was recently complaining about the declining viewership of it's nick channels. They put all the older nick stuff on netflix and everybody went there to watch the old nick shows instead of the insta-boyband shows and random crap on there now!

I thank Disney for putting stuff on netflix too. I can catch up with phineas and ferb! No need for these channels. (And honestly, most of viacom's channels could easily be an on-demand type channel. I await the day when i can subscribe to hbo go w/o cable and use my roku!)

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

1 recommendation

newview to e_dub

Premium Member

to e_dub
As far as I'm concerned, DirecTV can drop all Viacom channels and lower my monthly bill.
It's way past time for cable & satellite providers to tell these greedy networks to go pack sand.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

unknvoip

Premium Member

The only Viacom channel I watch is Palladia, which is in the HD Extra pack ($4.99). Needless to say, I have cancelled that extra. Nice to see DTV added some other channels as a bone to subscribers until the issue is resolved.

Pakapab
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien

Pakapab to e_dub

Premium Member

to e_dub
OMG!!! NO SpungBob!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

But seriously, why do the sports mix channels not work either??

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

said by Pakapab:

OMG!!! NO SpungBob!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

But seriously, why do the sports mix channels not work either??

Already available on both amazon instant video/prime and netflix. lol. No loss for the kids, and with no commercials.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22

Some people may not have Netflix or Amazon, that's why they have Directv. Because of Viacom's greed I have to sign up for Amazon at $79yr or NF at $96yr?

Nick was already losing watchers because of NF they said. I guess Viacom wants to make it all up on the backs of D* subs!
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to unknvoip

Premium Member

to unknvoip
said by unknvoip:

The only Viacom channel I watch is Palladia, which is in the HD Extra pack ($4.99). Needless to say, I have cancelled that extra. Nice to see DTV added some other channels as a bone to subscribers until the issue is resolved.

Log back into directv.com and you'll see the HD Extra pack available to you now for no charge for 3 months. In 2.9 months drop it, rinse, repeat.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to newview

Premium Member

to newview
said by newview:

As far as I'm concerned, DirecTV can drop all Viacom channels and lower my monthly bill.
It's way past time for cable & satellite providers to tell these greedy networks to go pack sand.

For sure. We watch none of those channels, so no big loss for us by not having them on the system.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to e_dub

MVM

to e_dub
I like how Mr. Mechs is not whining at the top of his lungs how incredibly cheap DTV is for letting this happen and how sh*tty they are for allowing it to happen, instead of just paying up.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Xorion

to Xorion

Everything you say about them IS TRUE!!!!!

They are greedy bastards who want MORE $$$$$ for the same garbage!! (the price DTV agreed to 7 years ago doesnt apply now as the quality of programming IS EVEN WORSE NOW than it was 7 years ago)

They want more $$$$?? Make thier network BETTER! (Take that reality trash off MTV and put GOOD MUSIC back on it.....Put GOOD SHOWS back on TV land)

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to dgoner

Premium Member

to dgoner

Re: [DIRECTV] Viacom

said by dgoner:

So tired of being played like a pawn in a game of chess. Maybe it's time to tell them all to stick it and cancel it all and torrent everything. That would save me about $ 1250 a year.

$1250/yr you just suck up every thing?
I have no premiums but all basic... just too many 10+ yr old retreads, and little worthy new content on the prems even with 5 channels.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

said by 19579823:

Everything you say about them IS TRUE!!!!!

They are greedy bastards who want MORE $$$$$ for the same garbage!!

YUP and boy did John Stewart bite the hand that feeds him BIG time tonight for how stupid they are being.
Hayward0

1 edit

Hayward0 to dgoner

Premium Member

to dgoner

Re: [DIRECTV] Viacom

said by dgoner:

So tired of being played like a pawn in a game of chess. Maybe it's time to tell them all to stick it and cancel it

Yup and look at the the DISH vs AMC last month, same thing....just be reasonable, and there aren't problems.

Its always interesting when these things happen. Who is the bigger BS'r, and again which side various people take from the antagonistic promo's. Even discounting those who think cable is a God given inalienable right.

Maybe what providers should do is force a common date for all contract renewals, then Viacom/provider would be saying we are pulling the entire country vs 20mill or so here and there... OR rationally negotiate.

so programmer can't get advertisers $$$$ which AMC can for Mad Men 4x EMMY WINNER..... BUT THATS IT.

The Shows not getting the numbers are also very high $$$ productions. And Mad Men ONLY winner???

The other semi popular AMC shows have their fans but not the numbers. Much more niche audience, vs Mad Men's broad appeal

Again so AMC sorry you overextended yourselves, be real, get it from the advertisers not your forced viewer.

Or start cutting the costly laggards.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

2 edits

pandora

Premium Member

It's been a while for us now. The only program the kids miss is Futurama, but it's $2.84 per episode (in HD) from Amazon about 5AM ET the night after Comedy Central airs it.

Someone has to stand up to content creators. Viacom has not introduced much new, and provides a lot of content on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu Plus, not to mention Viacom's own sites (until this dispute when they took it down).

Why should any content distributor pay a large increase when the content being sold is available from many other sources at no cost to the viewer?

Aside from my kids and Futurama, which was easy to solve. There hasn't been a thing from Viacom on DirecTV that we missed.

Spike, Logo, Comedy Central, Nick ... OK, I at least know what those are, but the kids only watch Futurama and maybe some Nick when bored. What the heck are the other 22 (of the 26 channels Viacom and DirecTV pulled) channels I never watch??

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to e_dub

Premium Member

to e_dub
latest
quote:
Viacoms current statement on our negotiations is completely inaccurate. They made a proposal last night for our carriage of the 17 channels they pulled from DIRECTV and we accepted all material terms for those channels including an increase that was more than fair. We are ready to close this deal at anytime and restore those channels to our customers.

However, as part of that offer, Viacom insists that we carry the EPIX channel at an additional cost of more than half a billion dollars. We know our customers dont want to pay such an extreme price for an extra channel, they simply want the ones they had returned to them. We stand ready and willing to work with Viacom to get this done and, once again, ask Viacom to do the right thing and restore these channels to our customers immediately. Thank you.

MgA_ODEN
Excessive
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Spring, TX

MgA_ODEN to e_dub

Premium Member

to e_dub
Dear DIRECTV , tell Viacom to pound sand.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

I agree!!!

Everyone should tell them!

inbox@viacom.com