how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pooper

join:2012-07-11
Tucson, AZ

Comcast downgraded/slowed my connection down

I've subscribed to Comcast's highest speed consumer package they've offered in my area for years. I've also kept records of all of my speed test results during that time. Over the past year I've noticed my speeds getting slower and slower. Finally it got so bad that I had no choice but to call a technician out to take a look. He explained to me that I had been getting more than what I was paying for (so they limited my speed), and the tier I now belong to was no longer the highest. This is quite shocking news to me, since I still pay the same price and was never informed I was being downgraded. I've gotten nowhere in terms of having this resolved; Are they really able to get away with this?

Take a look at the speed test results over a one year period:

Tech #4 is scheduled for Thursday Jul 12th, so I fully expect to have dial-up speeds shortly after they leave.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

there is a chance you could have had a higher tier config file when paying for a lower tier service. it can happen, and most likely someone did some sort of audit in the area and caught it.

you should post your signal levels, to make sure nothing is going on that end. if its just a simple tier change, youll be POL (Pooper Outta Luck, get it?) unless you move up to a higher speed level.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Pooper

Also to add to baineschile See Profile's info, what tier are you supposed to be subscribed to? Just telling us, "Comcast's highest speed consumer package they've offered in my area for years", means nothing to us.

What is the the package as detailed on your bill?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Pooper

No way, that explanation the tech gave you still does not explain those kinds of variations.

Yes, it may be true that you were provisioned on the wrong tier...but not knowing what tier you have been (or at least thought you have been) paying for, I can't speculate on that.

However, download speeds going from the 40s and 50s down to 4 to 6 Mbps constitutes something other than a drop of a tier. Something else is wrong here and I would demand a more rational explanation.

Have you checked your modem's signal levels and SNR lately? If you are running through a router, did you try direct connecting to the modem just in case? If you have not, always do the basic trouble shooting steps before assuming what they tell you is correct.

I like Comcast overall, but find that their support is all over the map, ranging from some very good, savvy folks, to a few that will tell you damn near anything with no idea if they are making any sense whatsoever.

Also, what kind of modem are you using? Is it an older D2 modem? It may be time to replace it if so...
--
Deeds, not words

Pooper

Tucson, AZ

I'm using a Motorola SB6120, yes - checked the router (10x) and even purchased a brand new E4200 (with the same result). The plan I'm subscribed to is the Blast! Which doesn't even give me the 2 second burst like it used to. Anytime I speak with someone at Comcast they tell me something completely different than the last person about what speeds I should be getting. Regardless of what they say, my speed shouldn't have been slowed down (especially below what they claim I'm actually paying for), and I shouldn't have been downgraded without being notified. They never even gave me the opportunity to upgrade or whatever they want to call it, which is flat-out ignorant and unethical.

Here are the signal levels:

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Post what amount of bandwidth is shown with Shaperprobe.

»www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr···obe.html

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by KevTech:

Post what amount of bandwidth is shown with Shaperprobe.

»www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr···obe.html

No offense, but for what purpose? Looking at the numbers posted, Pooper is not even receiving appropriate speeds for the Performance tier, much let alone Blast. Don't need anything further to tell us that.

I think it is pretty clear that his connectivity issues are unlikely to be tier related.
--
Deeds, not words

idontbelieve

@myvzw.com
reply to Pooper

Tucson JUST got DOCSIS 3 at the end of June. The bootfiles were only 6 mbps and 8 mbps on residential until then. Don't know where your numbers came from. Internally when we got the memo that they'd finally been upgraded there was a big "hallelujah" because we felt bad for people in Tucson. That small group of people are now in DOCSIS 3.

There's even an email that was sent to all Tucson customers letting them know about their speed increases.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Pooper

said by Pooper:

Here are the signal levels:

[att=1]

Overall your signal levels look good, downstream, SNR, and upstream...until you get to uncorrected codewords. There are others here that understand this better, but I believe it is a sign that you are having some connectivity issues to your modem.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post.
--
Deeds, not words

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to PeteC2

It's possible its tier related if they put him on a slower basic tier like Economy.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Pooper

My first rule when I see a problem with anything in life, my first act in troubleshooting is to take inventory of any recent changes that have taken place. On a personal level, it could be diet, on a technical level, new software/hardware and so on.

In the last couple of months I have experienced two occasions of diminished Comcast performance that were unrelated.

The first was a new version of a Firewall [ZA and behavior of vsmon.exe in particular on the XP Pro machines] that was installed on 3 computers. Got rid of the software and speeds returned. Used various free utilities and Google to solve that one.

Then, 2 weeks ago speed went to crap. Turned out to be a bad fitting/connection and bad wire. Both less than 5 years old and Comcast installed. Tech replaced both and back to speed.

Prior to tech arriving, cleared areas for access to the wire run, hooked a computer directly to Modem and watched him do his testing. Find this minimizes excuses for not doing things properly or blowing smoke about a problem.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to Mike Wolf

So where are you running the speed test to? Have you tried multiple test sites? I have been to calls before where it was simply a problem with the test server they chose to use, went to another nearby server and pegged beyond the subscribes speed, you cannot just trust one test site.

logs from 192.168.100.1 and signal levels please?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to PeteC2

said by PeteC2:

until you get to uncorrected codewords. There are others here that understand this better, but I believe it is a sign that you are having some connectivity issues to your modem.

FWIW, the sum of the *correctable* plus the *uncorrectable* is actually very low compared to the total *unerrored* codewords ratio wise.

Pooper

Tucson, AZ
reply to flwpwr

The speed tests on the graph were using speedtest.net to the nearest comcast server.

Pooper

Tucson, AZ
reply to Pooper

There are a bunch of these in the log:

Jan 01 1970 00:00:26 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

-----

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.106.70.149.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 2119 Kbps.
Downstream: 5381 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

Downstream: Burst size: 634-670 KB; Shaping rate: 5189 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

-----

Connected to server 64.9.225.142.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 1298 Kbps.
Downstream: 7498 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 634-670 KB; Shaping rate: 5189 Kbps.

-----

Connected to server 38.107.216.34.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 3131 Kbps.
Downstream: 14093 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 18667-19103 KB; Shaping rate: 11624 Kbps.

-----

Connected to server 4.71.254.162.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 897 Kbps.
Downstream: 5732 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 4320-4527 KB; Shaping rate: 2149 Kbps.

-----

Your test results
Summary Details Advanced
Your system: Mac OS X version 10.7.4
Java version: 1.6.0_33 (x86_64)

TCP receive window: 524176 current, 524280 maximum
0.00322841 packets lost during test
Round trip time: 64 msec (minimum), 673 msec (maximum), 169.03 msec (average)
Jitter: 609 msec
0 seconds spend waiting following a timeout
TCP time-out counter: 577
210 selective acknowledgement packets received

No duplex mismatch condition was detected.
The test did not detect a cable fault.
Network congestion may be limiting the connection.
No network address translation appliance was detected.

0.9882% of the time was not spent in a receiver limited or sender limited state.
0.0% of the time the connection is limited by the client machine's receive buffer.
Optimal receive buffer: 536862720 bytes
0 duplicate ACKs set

-----

How do I check which configuration file my SB6120 is using?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to Pooper

With Shaperprobe, it's looking like a 6/2 config file is in the modem. Call in to query about it or post to Comcast Steve in the CC direct forum.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit
reply to Pooper

Never mind... Was pointed out that he did post his speed tier.

MgA_ODEN
Excessive
Premium
join:2002-12-28
Spring, TX
reply to Pooper

said by Pooper See ProfileThe plan I'm subscribed to is the Blast! [/BQUOTE :

--
Ìïëþí ëáâÝ

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

Thanks... I looked but did NOT see that...

idontbelieve

@myvzw.com
reply to EG

said by EG:

With Shaperprobe, it's looking like a 6/2 config file is in the modem. Call in to query about it or post to Comcast Steve in the CC direct forum.

You are correct sir. As I pointed out, NO other bootfiles existed in Tucson until the end of June. That's why I was wondering where he got those speeds from. In Arizona Comcast has a small amount of subs and they happen to be in Tucson. Those subs JUST got upgraded to D3 speeds. The biller didn't even have D3 charges built in. There was a 6 down and an 8 down, THAT'S IT. Now that they have access to D3 they were all sent an email.

If he was getting any higher than something was seriously BROKEN.

Pooper

Tucson, AZ
reply to EG

Who is Comcast Steve and how do I find him? Also is there a way for me to confirm which config file I have on my modem? The status page doesn't appear to show any such information.

Thanks!

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by Pooper:

Who is Comcast Steve and how do I find him? Also is there a way for me to confirm which config file I have on my modem? The status page doesn't appear to show any such information.

Thanks!

Go here: »Comcast Direct Post your problem, your account info, contact info, etc and watch for a reply. He'll get you fixed up. He can also tell you what config file you're supposed to have for what you pay for and get that fixed up as well.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to Pooper

Final Thought: It doesnt appear to be config, and signal levels are OK. I would go to the direct forum.

Edit: yeah, Chris313's post wasnt there when I originally wrote this.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Pooper

said by Pooper:

Also is there a way for me to confirm which config file I have on my modem? The status page doesn't appear to show any such information.

Thanks!

When that modem first came out with an earlier version of firmware, the name of the config file used to show up among the error log entries. A newer version of firmware came along with which you had to reset the modem to factory defaults and then restart it and only then would it get displayed in the log. I believe that the latest version of firmware pushed to these modems by CC has it completely disabled now.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to baineschile

said by baineschile:

Final Thought: It doesnt appear to be config,

Why do you say that ?

Pooper

Tucson, AZ

1 edit
reply to EG

Thanks for the info guys; I posted a message in the Comcast Direct forum as advised.

So basically before someone could actually know if they were configured to get the package they pay for; now you just have to take Comcast's word for it? Interesting — Apparently they've never heard the old adage "If you've got nothing to hide, then why hide it?". This just keeps getting better and better.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

Yeah, crazy ain't it? I suppose they do this so every joe friday can't go poking around in the settings. Great idea for the every day user, but sucks for techies who like to know everything. Even provided useful info on our end.

And remember, once you get your issues solved, Comcast is pretty good...when it works.

Be sure to come back and let us know how things go after you hear from Steve.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

It's possible its tier related if they put him on a slower basic tier like Economy.

Assuming that Pooper is telling it straight, he is paying for Blast tier, right? They don't punish customers by putting them on to a lower tier than they are paying for...if he was in the wrong tier, such as "Extreme 50", I could see them correcting that and knocking it down to Blast...but Economy...when he is paying for Blast? No, unless it was an error on Comcast's part, but that is not what was posted as an explanation.
--
Deeds, not words

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to Pooper

FWIW - I recently signed up for BlastPlus which is supposed to be 20mpbs sustained. Initially I was seeing almost 60mpbs, decaying to 20mbps over about 30 seconds. About a week ago something changed. Now I see 30mpbs holding for a few minutes, then decaying to 20mbps.

Pooper

Tucson, AZ
reply to Chris 313

It's dishonorable is what it is, and negates any type of trust I might have had with Comcast before this happened. It reminds me of when I went to get my oil and filter changed once, and instead they just topped of the oil and wiped off the filter. Sure there are many people that wouldn't notice, and maybe my Comcast issue is not intentional; three weeks with no resolution is not exactly reassuring though.

How long does it take for Comcast Steve to reply? Thanks again.