uniqs
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: Router ALT Firmware for QoS for VoIP

Davesnothere,

I was under the impression you were still on DSL. My findings were specific to DSL, and my assumption is that a superior service like VDSL or cable can handle more stingy reservations.

You should in fact be able to get away with reserving much less.

You can do synthetic benchmarks to test your setup at myvoipspeed.visualware.com

My setup is to stress the connection with multiple high speed downloads (windows service packs or linux ISOs) with an ftp upload at the same time.

If I get more than 7-8ms jitter, generally I keep trying to tweak.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable

Anon

FYI: »www.telecompute.com/voip.asp

>Acceptable VoIP quality requires a delay of not more than 80ms in either direction for true toll quality voice communication.

>The tolerance range for VoIP jitter is in the range of 20-30ms. Jitter buffers and high quality routers temporarily store and 'smooth out' the delivery of voice packets.

Spec'ing single digits jitter is a bit overkill.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Cloneman

Premium Member

to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

....I was under the impression you were still on DSL. My findings were specific to DSL, and my assumption is that a superior service like VDSL or cable can handle more stingy reservations.

You should in fact be able to get away with reserving much less....

Not sure how you thought I was still on DSL, considering how much I continue to brag about being BHELL-FREE (a word-play on 'belfry'), but anyway, your latest comment looks to be even better news.

BTW, I am with START Communications, on Cable thru the Cogeco AGG POI, and it works well.

My VoIP UPstream issues were present before that, but it's just that I have been getting more picky in my old age, I would say.

And the tips/links are appreciated (from everyone).