Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to NetFixer

Re: Enabling SSID Broadcast

Actually Netflubber, your wrong, hiding your essid is akin to the marine special ops wearing flaming Orange jumpsuits. What is attractive to the types of folks hacking wifi connections is hidden ESSIDS. Most ill-informed people, use hide essid and think they have security and thus dont need other more complicated security tools. Its like a magnet!!

Your advice is poor and suggest that you reconsider posting such garbage in the future. ESSID has NOTHING i repeat NOTHING to do with security. Obscurity is a false and misleading word to use as well.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Anav:

Actually Netflubber, your wrong, hiding your essid is akin to the marine special ops wearing flaming Orange jumpsuits. What is attractive to the types of folks hacking wifi connections is hidden ESSIDS. Most ill-informed people, use hide essid and think they have security and thus dont need other more complicated security tools. Its like a magnet!!

Your advice is poor and suggest that you reconsider posting such garbage in the future. ESSID has NOTHING i repeat NOTHING to do with security. Obscurity is a false and misleading word to use as well.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, even if your opinion is derived from poor reading comprehension (or perhaps just extreme tunnel vision), and posted using poor spelling/grammar.

Your opinion aside, what I do has served me well for many years. FWIW my network is within the range of many computer science majors who delight in engaging in network mischief, just see if they can get away with it (hence my occasional use of honeypots)...check out my location on the map listed on my DSLR profile page.

I also have worked with many major corporate clients who use the same strategy (their idea, not mine). Perhaps they are wrong too (at least in your opinion), but it has worked quite well for them too.

[disclaimer]Naturally, YMMV[/disclaimer]
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Goody for you and your post highlights your major flaw in providing information. Most people are not you and have far less experience and/or knowledge. What you posted, although not criminal, is not wise.