uniqs
share rss forum feed

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
join:2000-09-21
Toronto, ON
reply to Anav

Re: [Rant] How fcked up is this? Severance for Fed employees

I know that and I completely agree to that part.

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Toronto, ON
reply to Gone

I was told that 15 days is the vacation time for everyone including Directors and VPs in their first year so no negotiation for me. 15 days: take it or leave it.

Negotiation on salary was with hiring manager and that's it.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

said by AR:

I was told that 15 days is the vacation time for everyone including Directors and VPs in their first year so no negotiation for me. 15 days: take it or leave it.

3 weeks. Not bad.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Toronto, ON

I know.

Before, I had 10 with a US company and they brought it down to 4 during the recession (with 1 month's notice) because they wanted to cut their cost/employee.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by AR:

I know.

Before, I had 10 with a US company and they brought it down to 4 during the recession (with 1 month's notice) because they wanted to cut their cost/employee.

Ten weeks? What was that? A French company?
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by DKS:

I think he means days? Ten days, of course, is the minimum legally allowed in Ontario per the ESA. An employer wouldn't be able to legally reduce it to four days during the recession.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by Gone:

said by DKS:

I think he means days? Ten days, of course, is the minimum legally allowed in Ontario per the ESA. An employer wouldn't be able to legally reduce it to four days during the recession.

If it was ten days, that is true.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by DKS:

If it was ten days, that is true.

If it was indeed ten weeks, he has a lot of nerve complaining about the perks that federal government employees receive. My wife gets nowhere near that.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to AR

I suppose we shouldnt complain, probably in advanced 3rd world sweat shops the averate time off is 10 minutes, to eat and go to the potty (or hole in the ground). Sleep being the corporate enemy.

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Toronto, ON
reply to Gone

yeah, 10 days. They reduced it to 4 (or 7 days, can't remember) for all employees in N.America.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by AR:

They reduced it to 4 (or 7 days, can't remember) for all employees in N.America.

It wouldn't have been all of North America if they had Canadian operations. Paid vacation time is legislated in all provinces, and ranges between ten and fifteen days. Even if they "encouraged" employees to only take 4 or 7 days off, the employees would be legally entitled to pay in lieu and at one point or another it would need to be paid out or taken.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by Gone:

said by AR:

They reduced it to 4 (or 7 days, can't remember) for all employees in N.America.

It wouldn't have been all of North America if they had Canadian operations. Paid vacation time is legislated in all provinces, and ranges between ten and fifteen days. Even if they "encouraged" employees to only take 4 or 7 days off, the employees would be legally entitled to pay in lieu and at one point or another it would need to be paid out or taken.

And a complaint would have the provincial labour ministry making inquiries. The HR department would also be missing a few people for suggesting such a bonehead idea. That's what HR people are paid to avoid.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by DKS:

And a complaint would have the provincial labour ministry making inquiries. The HR department would also be missing a few people for suggesting such a bonehead idea. That's what HR people are paid to avoid.

Yup, and it's also important to point out that any clause in an employment contract that strips you of rights guaranteed under the ESA are considered void by that same legislation. It's impossible to have someone sign away their rights, even if they try.

Vacation and payment in lieu are two things that the Ministry of Labour does not screw around with. They come down hard and they come down fast.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to AR

Thread renamed

How fcked up is this? my company says screw your signed agreements or our contractual obligations as we dont care.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by loosedobbs:

my company says screw your signed agreements or our contractual obligations as we dont care.

Unilaterally changing employment contract terms is the same as firing you. Take them to court.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

Vacation and payment in lieu are two things that the Ministry of Labour does not screw around with. They come down hard and they come down fast.

If you call 12 to 18 months for investigation and enforcement fast I suppose so.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by peterboro:

If you call 12 to 18 months for investigation and enforcement fast I suppose so.

It took my mother four months from beginning to end.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

It took my mother four months from beginning to end.

Helped a relative 3 years ago and it took 18 months. Looking at doing another and may go the small claims route with this one.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by peterboro:

Helped a relative 3 years ago and it took 18 months. Looking at doing another and may go the small claims route with this one.

My mother's was around five years ago. To be honest, I was surprised by how fast it was.