share rss forum feed

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to airwavz

Re: OK got to regulate here

I'm just gonna leave this here. Wouldn't want mydoghsfleas to think terrorists are any good at what they do.

"Americans Are as Likely to Be Killed by Their Own Furniture as by Terrorism"
»www.theatlantic.com/internationa···/258156/

"According to the report, the number of U.S. citizens who died in terrorist attacks increased by two between 2010 and 2011; overall, a comparable number of Americans are crushed to death by their televisions or furniture each year. This is not to diminish the real--albeit shrinking--threat of terrorism, or to minimize the loss and suffering of the 13,000 killed and over 45,000 injured around the world. For Americans, however, it should emphasize that an irrational fear of terrorism is both unwarranted and a poor basis for public policy decisions."

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
said by Rambo76098:

I'm just gonna leave this here. Wouldn't want mydoghsfleas to think terrorists are any good at what they do.

"Americans Are as Likely to Be Killed by Their Own Furniture as by Terrorism"
»www.theatlantic.com/internationa···/258156/ and over 45,000 injured around the world. For Americans, however, it should emphasize that an irrational fear of terrorism is both unwarranted and a poor basis for public policy decisions."

This is like those stories that read, "Crime rate down, but more people in prison! Why?"

ummmm....... let me think.

Maybe..... our counter terrorism measures are working?

As opposed to, terrorism is not a real threat?

Another point: household accidents are manifestly different from terrorism attacks. It's like comparing auto accidents to plane crashes. One is frequent but only affects a few people at a time. One is very infrequent but causes hundreds (or thousands or hundreds of thousands) of people to die all at once and has huge economic and political implications.

You address these two risks in very different ways.

Or are you saying that the NSA should be using its webcam-overtaking application to check whether people have safe furniture in their houses?

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
I'm pointing out that for Americans, statistically, death by terrorism is as likely as death by your own furniture.

And I'm going to have to disagree with you that we're being effective, as we kill more children in Pakistan in the war on terror, than Americans die in actual terrorism.

That sure makes us look like the terrorists, huh?

»www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne···ign.html

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
said by Rambo76098:

I'm pointing out that for Americans, statistically, death by terrorism is as likely as death by your own furniture.

Um, duh. I actually did understand the content of your post. Was that supposed to be a response?

And I'm going to have to disagree with you that we're being effective, as we kill more children in Pakistan in the war on terror, than Americans die in actual terrorism.

That sure makes us look like the terrorists, huh?

»www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne···ign.html

Without responding to your point, what's that got to do with the topic here, which is me asking why do you think that we haven't had any terrorism deaths in the USA since 9/11? Is it really because "terrorism isn't a big problem", which somehow is concluded based on the risks of household accidents?

You somehow want to change the meaning of the word "effective" here. Don't know how we made that leap.