how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
rdmiller

join:2005-09-23
Richmond, VA

Dag nab it!

Here we go again! If we wanted a transcontinental railroad, individual ranchers would have built the tracks themselves. Isn't that how Free Enterprise works?
jdmm72

join:2002-02-12
Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 edit

Re: Dag nab it!

Yeah, and Lord knows that worked out well. The reason there were so many bends in the track was to take advantage of legal loopholes to get paid more, and Union Pacific was bankrupt three years after completion of the line.

Additionally, we've gotten to keep subsidizing the railroads ever since.

I don't believe that the Federal gub'ment (through my tax dollars) should be subsidizing internet build outs in WV, only should do so when it directly serves the Federal gub'ment, as in to the DOE/NASA/FBI centers in Clarksburg.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

Care to show facts about the railroads all being subsidized by the government?

The only one that I know of is Amtrack. Last time I checked, all the commodity carriers are turning profits.
jdmm72

Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

2 edits

1 recommendation

Oh, really???

HEARTLAND CORRIDOR PROJECT!!!!!

»www.thefutureneedsus.com/

Nope, not a subsidy!!!!

Doesn't benefit CSX, Norfolk-Southern, or Conrail does it???

But the caveat with rail, is that it is considered a strategic asset. As is the Civilian Air Reserve Fleet (the air carriers.)

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

said by jdmm72:

Oh, really???

HEARTLAND CORRIDOR PROJECT!!!!!

»www.thefutureneedsus.com/

Nope, not a subsidy!!!!

Doesn't benefit CSX, Norfolk-Southern, or Conrail does it???

But the caveat with rail, is that it is considered a strategic asset. As is the Civilian Air Reserve Fleet (the air carriers.)

This time I will auto quote in case you decide to edit again to look better.

Ok, so I will admit that when you posted, "Additionally, we've gotten to keep subsidizing all the railroads ever since.", I took that as giving them money because they cannot turn a profit.

So by your definition, yes, they are getting subsidies. But I will pose to you this, show me ONE major infrastructure that never gets some sort of subsidy.

You won't find one! Hell, I bet even you local WV state road gets them.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

said by ropeguru:

You won't find one! Hell, I bet even you local WV state road gets them.

Depends on the subsidy.. You can bet WV knows how to blow money on routers that they'll never fully utilize.
jdmm72

Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
You're an idiot. I edited to keep from double posting.

I never said anything about West Virginia. Yeah, that'd be a surprise to me, WV taking federal money. You mean my state, one of the top 3 WELFARE states in the union per capita, no way!!!!

In fact, much of that Heartland Corridor money was spent.....IN WV!!!

Look I edited...Additionally, what telco company is not turning a profit, but is getting federal money. Frontier is turning a profit, yet they are getting a subsidy, so your statement about companies having to turn a loss to get subsidy is pointless.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

And obviously, YOU have a lack of comprehension. As if you had comprehended what I wrote, you would have noticed that I explained what my initial understanding was of what you wrote to mean only those that did not turn a profit. I then went on to agree that other were getting subsidies.

But I guess being from Nitro, WV, it takes a while for anything! (since you want to put people down)

And OT - Yes you edited the post I am replying to BEFORE even posting it. I was referring to your ORIGINAL post where you removed the word "all" from your sentence. Which when you did so put the remark "1 edit" on the left side where your info is. Your post I am replying to does NOT have the "edit" flag since you edited BEFORE posting, so you do not even understand how this site works! Who is the idiot now?
jdmm72

Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

So who is the lamebrain, so NO railroads get subsidies? Right? Comprehension, huh, where in my original post did I post anything about profits?

And no, I (slowly, so you can comprehend), I edited my previous post A-F-T-E-R I P-O-S-T-E-D I-T!!!

So, I removed the word "all," WOW, where did that change the meaning of what I wrote? Yeah, thought so, it didn't

I can see why we seceded from your state. So, go crawl back down the hole you came from.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

Ok you two.. Take the fight elsewhere, preferably in a PM.

YouFail

@bellsouth.com
Uh, no. Nice try though.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by rdmiller:

Here we go again! If we wanted a transcontinental railroad, individual ranchers would have built the tracks themselves. Isn't that how Free Enterprise works?

Ah ha you have them. The rail rights of way in the west where massively subsidized by the federal government mostly in the form of land grants, and mineral rights. Both of which are paying dividends to this day. This is a "Build it and They will Come" situation. But we cannot depend on companies who have a sort sided view of profits. If they don't see a return in the next few months they are not going to do it. A decades long view is necessary here. This in fact is how China, and especially Japan are killing us. There is a small division within Mitsubishi that is planning a permanent habitation on the Moon. They don't expect to start construction for 50 or more years but they want to be ready when the time comes. Obama fed us a line of Bovine Scatology about shovel ready jobs and proceeded to flush billions on tax payers dollars down the toilet. If these billions had been spent instead to start the build out of a national fiber optic system the return on the investment would have been huge. But like US corporations politicians have a sort term view, will this loot spent is such a way get me re-elected, which is all they care about.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT
said by rdmiller:

Depends. Imagine if a large RR company said you couldn't.. or put up laws and bills that prevent you from doing it.

That is happening with Telcos vs community broadband efforts. The large telcos are threatening efforts because it could hurt their profits in the area.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.3G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by Simba7 See Profile
Depends. Imagine if a large RR company said you couldn't.. or put up laws and bills that prevent you from doing it.

That is happening with Telcos vs community broadband efforts. The large telcos are threatening efforts because it could hurt their profits in the area.

Exactly right in the west RR where given emanate domain powers. a Rancher does not. At the start of the build out of the RR in the West they made sure the agricultural interested could never build rail lines of there own. The same thing is happening today. The only entity with the power to get the so called digital highway built is the Federal Government. The only part of the Government that has experience in building such networks is the Pentagon. Especially in the West, and in particularly in the States of Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming. Because fiber is proof again electromagnetic pulse fiber was installed starting in the 1970's for command and control of defense assets.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

What is electromagnetic pulse fiber? Never heard of it and cannot find info on that anywhere.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

said by ropeguru:

What is electromagnetic pulse fiber? Never heard of it and cannot find info on that anywhere.

Fiber is immune to an EMP.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

said by Simba7:

said by ropeguru:

Fiber is immune to an EMP.

I know that. Which is why I asked the question.
jdmm72

Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Since I'm so slow, I will help you. Funny how I understood what Transmaster was trying to convey, being from hilldunk Nitro, WV and all.

Original
"Because fiber is proof again electromagnetic pulse fiber was installed starting in the 1970's for command and control of defense assets."

Modified
"Because fiber is immune to electromagnetic pulse, fiber was installed starting in the 1970's for command and control of defense assets."

There, is that better, Engrish Prophesor????