spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sparks
join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

sparks

carpet and a new puppy...oh man the smell

We got a new dog and well she found the front room.
yep it has carpet and we found here in their squatting and peeing.
So I have a hoover steam vac....(YEA IT AINT STEAM LOL)
any way I got some pet formula and went over the carpet and cleaned it. ALL DONE
the next day the room started having a just peed smell.
NO the dog can not get in the room any more.

Now the smell is overpowering.
I guess the cleaner and pet formula have not done anything.
What can I do to really clean this mess up?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

I gave up on carpeting. It's unsanitary (pets or not). Hardwood, tile, and laminate.

The only true way to get the stink out of carpet is to remove it and clean both sides. Cleaning from the top doesn't work.

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt
join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI

LBDSL to sparks

to sparks
We always used vinegar.

Annmarie

join:2000-11-11

5 recommendations

Annmarie to sparks

to sparks
Did you follow the directions on the bottle exactly?

I have 2 female pugs that may never be properly housebroken. They lived in a puppy mill for 4 years and we have had them for 2. They are doing better but not 100% so wee wee pads are left when we are out of the house. And since they were bred so many times they have issues "holding it" for more than a couple of hours poor little girls.

Our bedroom has carpeting and every so often I find a wet spot.
Here is how I deal with it - it removes the smell no problem but sometimes leaves the stain.

No more paper towels.
Costs way too much.
White hand towels or actual cloth diapers.

Locate the wet spot.
Fold up the towel and place it over the wet spot.
Put a heavy weight on top of the towel to put pressure so the wet wicks up into the towel - a filled gallon of water works well.

After most of the wet spot has been absorbed saturate the area with Natures Miracle Orange Formula.
I have tried and sold several other brands and varieties and this one works the best by far.
Cheaper by the gallon especially if purchased from Pet Solutions on the net which has free shipping over $50.00

Allow that to sit for a good 12 hours and then do the white towel thing again.

No smell except a bit of orange.

I have a Hoover Steam Vac and I use it about one every six months in the bedroom since it gets a lot of traffic. No it does not make steam but you can use boiling water. Keep a couple of pots simmering while you clean. Makes a difference.

You can also use that vac with simple hot water and rinse, rinse, rinse.

And dry vac the carpet first.

What is happening in your case is the urine was never removed first so the cleaning solution simply reactivated it and it is now coming up to the surface using the fibers of the carpet as a wick.

If you can, find the source of the spots using a black light. Works great. Saturate those areas with vinegar and do the towel thing to pull up the moisture and then the Natures Miracle treatment.

A lot of work but since the pup no longer has access to that area it may only be a one or two time deal. Lots of ventilation too. But you do not want the Nature's Miracle to dry too fast.

FYI - if you do get the black light walk around the house with it in the dark. Especially the bathroom. You will be more than a bit disturbed.

And thank God it is not cat urine.

herdfan
Premium Member
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV

herdfan to sparks

Premium Member

to sparks
My mom would always blot the area as well as she could, then pour water on it and blot it again. Then spread salt over the area. When the salt dried and crusted up she would vacuum it up. Never noticed a smell.

We have cats and on occasion they get ticked when we go out of town. One poops right behind the door so the door gets opened into it. The other pees in a corner in my daughters room. Wife uses Simple Solution to clean the pee from the carpet. Works well as cat pee can be strong. The one that poops doesn't understand that tile is easily cleaned.
metal1
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Melfa, VA

metal1 to sparks

Premium Member

to sparks
I had a dog pee in my room a couple times and cleaned it right away and even steam cleaned the carpet twice.I just ripped up the carpet to put down a wood floor and the pee stains were all over the padding and subfloor.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to sparks

Premium Member

to sparks
You need to get a product called Nature's Miracle (or equivalent organic pet odor remover), available at any pet store. Anything else and you're just temporarily dissolving the urea and spreading it out.

Annmarie

Annmarie

It has to be the orange Nature's Miracle.

They seem to have changed the formula in the white and red containers and they have not work as well in the past year.

The orange one works great.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

Oops, I skimmed through the first few lines of your post Annmarie See Profile and didn't realize you had already discussed this product

Great post, and I defer to your advice. Fortunately I have not had any issues with pet odor in the past few years and was not aware NM changed their formula.

Annmarie

Annmarie

Not sure why they did. It worked very well - even on rabbit urine which will lift linoleum tiles glued to a concrete floor.

I used to own a pet shop plus the rescues.

I know too much about animal excrement.
My claim to fame.

We are at the point of pulling the rug this fall and laying pergo or some sort of playschool plastic flooring like the rest of our home (sorry - I happen to like wood so that was a snarky remark against pergo products)
sparks
join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

4 edits

sparks

Man I never thought of a black light thanks big time for that tip.
Now can I get one cheap?
I had one years ago for night fishing LOL

I have vinegar and ready to try anything.
Just ordered a black light on amazon, $6 super saver 2 day.
I hope it comes friday I need to get it done this weekend.

How long should you allow vinegar to soak on spots?
I will again use the steam vac after.

Nature's Miracle Deep Cleaning Carpet Shampoo 64oz
anyone know if I can use this with the hoover all terrain steam vac?
Don't see why not but I am going to ask

one of the reviews on amazon said she poured this on the stain let it soak for 30 minutes and then did the entire area. NO stain and NO smell.

I had tile put down in every room but the bedrooms. Lady of the house said NO we have to have carpet, I don't want to walk on cold floors in the winter. BUT you go into the kitchen and its tile (DAMN WOMAN)

anyway I think its some gene that says I grew up with wall to wall carpet and you are just trying to change me.

Maybe God can get thru to her I can't.

Annmarie

Annmarie

If you get the Natures Miracle you can forget the vinegar.

The vinegar does work but will leave a vinegar smell if not rinsed over and over. You can splash the vinegar over the spot, allow it to soak and do the towel thing while you wait for the Nature's Miracle to arrive. It will not hurt and it will pull up any soaked in urine. Get a load of the color of the white towel after it has sat on the stain for a while.

Gross.

Sometimes I have 4 or 5 of these nasty towels each week depending on how well the girl's are doing. 4th of July was an issue because of the noise. So I throw them in a plastic bag after rinsing well with a hose and then when I have enough to do a full load I run them through the washer with bleach a few times and then dry them on the clothes line.

Cheaper and better than paper towels.
White towels or cloths and white vinegar.

The Natures Miracle leaves a nice fresh orange scent but still rinse so there is not residue.
Residue attracts dirt.

Many of the pet shops that sell Natures Miracle also have the black light for rent or sale.

This is the one I use but I get it from Pet Solutions:

»www.amazon.com/Natures-M ··· pplies_7

I use boiling water in the clean water tank of my Hoover (vacuum with a regular vac fist !!!) and then add the recommended amount of shampoo, replace the cap on the water tanks and slightly swish the solution into the water.

DO NOT shake or you will make foam.
DO NOT use more than recommended.
More is not better in this case and will only waste money and leave residue.

If you know where the stain is splash some Natures Miracle on that spot first and the shampoo the rest of the carpet allowing that spot to soak a while.

Rinse, rinse rinse with clear water.
Good ventilation - maybe even a fan or two.

I have even shampooed our huge sectional denim couch with Nature's Miracle to remove all sorts of pet smells right before Christmas.
Freshens things up a lot.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but hopefully in your case it is only this time or two until you get your pup trained.
In our case it is a labor of love since these little ones would have been put down had they not been rescued.
That is what they do to the female breeders at a puppy mill when the no longer make enough puppies - they kill them.

Just an FYI.
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to sparks

Premium Member

to sparks
I know of nothing that works better than nilodor, just one drop, and the smell is gone!. »www.nilodor.com/
Expand your moderator at work