Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to rdmiller

Re: Dag nab it!

said by rdmiller:

Here we go again! If we wanted a transcontinental railroad, individual ranchers would have built the tracks themselves. Isn't that how Free Enterprise works?

Ah ha you have them. The rail rights of way in the west where massively subsidized by the federal government mostly in the form of land grants, and mineral rights. Both of which are paying dividends to this day. This is a "Build it and They will Come" situation. But we cannot depend on companies who have a sort sided view of profits. If they don't see a return in the next few months they are not going to do it. A decades long view is necessary here. This in fact is how China, and especially Japan are killing us. There is a small division within Mitsubishi that is planning a permanent habitation on the Moon. They don't expect to start construction for 50 or more years but they want to be ready when the time comes. Obama fed us a line of Bovine Scatology about shovel ready jobs and proceeded to flush billions on tax payers dollars down the toilet. If these billions had been spent instead to start the build out of a national fiber optic system the return on the investment would have been huge. But like US corporations politicians have a sort term view, will this loot spent is such a way get me re-elected, which is all they care about.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption