uniqs
share rss forum feed

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1
reply to damir52

Re: Best ADSL2+ Filter

The idea of a POTS is to fillter OUT ALL the frequencies that DSL would use from going DOWN the lines on the 'Telephone' side of the Splitter. This means you MAXIMIZE the DSL frequencies going down the line to the Modem.
Signals on wires are like water in a hose - they will all come to the same level even if there's no 'reason' (e.g. not telephone on the end) to do so.
It's the same reason why the number of jacks in the house affects the overall DSL signal even when they are not connected to telephones.
As Guspaz says you can do the same thing with a DSL filter as you can with a POTS if you know how.

Never filter the line going to the DSL modem.

Either use the POTS Splitter (preferred) OR disconnect every Line not in use and move the modem as close as possible to the demarc to minimize the loss on the cable run to the Modem's DSL port and then you must Filter only the jacks going to telephones and do it AT the jack on the wall if you don't use a POTS.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

That's your demarc... The setup you show is only valid if you have connected a telephone to that filter, and the DSL modem is plugged into some other jack.

so, i should install this filter\splitter at demarc on the picture and run cable to my modem ?

Do you maybe have any link that explains fully how this should be setuped \ used properly

Thanks
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to damir52
If it's a POTS splitter, plug the modem into the MODEM jack, and the telephone (or telephone line) into the PHONE jack.

If it's a regular splitter, place the regular splitters between every telephone device (handset, fax, alarm, satellite terminal, etc) and the phone jack, and do not put any filter between the DSL modem and the phone jack.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
Its this one i am getting:

Thanks Guspaz
--

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Didn't Bell already install one like that for you? If you're on ADSL2+, they should have.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
I am not using Bell, i am using Fibernetics, 10mbit.
--

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
Hello all,

My splitter just arrived, epsilon3

On the same jack (at this jack i am getting the best sync, full speed) i have connected this splitter, phone and dsl modem.

It looks like:
»www.urimage.net/image/xhL

Short cable from Wall jack to LINE IN jack on splitter, from Home phone to PHONE JACK on splitter, and DSL modem to DSL modem jack in splitter , is this correct way of doing it?

Speedtest:

Modem stats:

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.003 / 10.239
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0,00 / 0,00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 22,5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19,5 / 35,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 12,0 / 14,0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / CNXT

Is this acceptable setup \ output \ stats?

Thanks!
--

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
looks good, except you should have a 12meg sync to get your 10meg speeds. inquire with TekSavvy.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
Why Teksavvy?:D

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

looks good, except you should have a 12meg sync to get your 10meg speeds. inquire with TekSavvy.

RTFP; he's a Fibernetics colocated DSLAM customer, not a TekSavvy customer.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
Right now i really don't care for a mbit or two (more), what i needed is to have stable connection (most important for me) since i work from home.

Thank you all for your time and support in this thread.
--