spc
uniqs
v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life
join:2002-11-09

v_lestat to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude

Re: [IA] moving and MC is trying to charge friend disconnect fee

i suspected so but the moving to an area outside of their coverage would supersede that wouldnt it?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

If you cancel your service for any reason within the contract period, even if you are moving outside the service area, unfortunately you will be charged an Early Termination Fee. If you would, can you send me an IM with your friends account or phone number so I can investigate this further?

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50 to v_lestat

Premium Member

to v_lestat
yaaaayyY!!!! v_lestat See Profile, the cable and internet expert has returned!
said by v_lestat:

i suspected so but the moving to an area outside of their coverage would supersede that wouldnt it?

I don't know why that would supersede anything. There is nothing in our current laws that would supersede a contract because you moved.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

If you cancel your service for any reason within the contract period, even if you are moving outside the service area, unfortunately you will be charged an Early Termination Fee. If you would, can you send me an IM with your friends account or phone number so I can investigate this further?

this goes to exactly what i pointed out here »Re: [IA] Mediacom lied! how the heck is it right that mediacom can hold a customer to a contract if they move outside of the service area, but mediacom can not be held to a contract if they say theyl service a person but then find out they cant because of no plant.

OP. if chad cant get him taken care of with out a disconnect fee. complain to the city franchise authority and the state PUC. contract or not if hes moving out of the service area id argue its a disconnect fee and not an ETF..

tsduke
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

tsduke to burner50

Premium Member

to burner50
Because it's the right and ethical thing to do, but we all know that's not how Mediacom does business.

ZC_217
join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA

ZC_217

This is no different than a cell company's ETF. You enter into an agreement with the company to buy service for a period of time. If you break that agreement before the it jas matured then you are charged an ETF.

Mediacom is simply holding the customer to the agreement that they agreed to. If Mediacom disconnected the service early then there would be a valid argument for not having to pay the ETF.

tsduke
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

tsduke

Premium Member

I've seen USCC let people out for moving. Of course they will terminate you anyway if you roam to much.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50 to tsduke

Premium Member

to tsduke
said by tsduke:

Because it's the right and ethical thing to do, but we all know that's not how Mediacom does business.

That's neither here, nor there.

I was speaking to the legal aspect... we all know Mediacom is evil... I can attest to the fact. I remember knockout dragout screaming arguments between myself and management officials about their first "home networking" product and it being required to have their old "Max" internet speeds... Along with the $150 installation fee...

One of the main reasons I was happy to separate myself from them in 2007.
calvinj
join:2011-08-16
united state

calvinj to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
Great... So I have to plan buying a house around the 2 year agreement I just signed.. Great! Not sure I follow the logic, but whatever.. Get mediacom in more places.. Makes it easier to move..

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy to thedragonmas

Anon

to thedragonmas
Because you signed a contract and in the contract it states Mediacom can change the terms at any time. It doesn't say that the customer can. You certainly could have had your lawyer add that portion (allowing you to change the contract) to the contract and see if Mediacom would accept it. I've done this with my last 2 cellphone contracts and AT&T decided it was cheaper to just let me sign up with no contract and still subsidize my phone than have their legal team review and sign off on my changes.

People really need to read what they're signing before they sign it.
calvinj
join:2011-08-16
united state

calvinj

I would agree people need to read closer. I know I need to read things closer and not just sign it to save time.

I guess my logic looks like this:

I'm happy with mediacom, if I were to move to a service area that was serviced by mediacom I would happily take them with me. I think moving to an area that isn't servied by mediacom falls under extenuating circumstances. Sadly enough the area we are considering is a small town of less than a 500-1000 people. Not sure how easy it would be for Mediacom to justify coming to that town for service.

Maybe I'm way off, take my 2 cents for what it's worth

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to OldCableGuy

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy
said by OldCableGuy :

People really need to read what they're signing before they sign it.

boy you really are an company guy arent ya? we had this argument all ready, i even provided a scanned copy of the work order you swore had the contract on it »Re: [RANT] 250 GB , really? i said it to you there and ill say it to you here how can any one read something before they sign it if its not provided to them fully before they do?
said by ZC_217:

This is no different than a cell company's ETF. You enter into an agreement with the company to buy service for a period of time. If you break that agreement before the it jas matured then you are charged an ETF.

Mediacom is simply holding the customer to the agreement that they agreed to. If Mediacom disconnected the service early then there would be a valid argument for not having to pay the ETF.

AT&T's etf lowers month to month, does mediacoms? additionally if you move and at&t does not service the area im willing to bet its a lot cheaper for them to let you out of the contract than it is for them to pay the roaming charges, infact its right there in that same contract that if you roam to much theyl terminate your contract.
said by ZC_217:

If the customer wasn't sure they were going to be in the same place for 2 yrs, they should have agreed to a month to month agreement with Mediacom which then you can leave any time with no ETF but you aren't able to receive the discounted rates.

So they made a choice to agree to a 2 yr service agreement with ETFs. And Mediacom has the right to charge for an ETF for breaching the agreement.

does that line of thinking apply to natural disasters? or arson? or how about renters? you realize the majority of renters only have a 1 year lease dont you? so by your logic if i sign that contract, then for what ever reason i end up moving (i.e. the realty agency simply chooses not to renew) and i end up moving outside of mediacoms area im supposed to keep paying for a service i cant even get?

sorry, but in my case no way. if the ETF lowers from full price to $0 over the 24 month term, fine ill pay the ETF with some sort of payment arrangement . if it does not lower. then no way would i pay a single penny simply as a matter of principle. yes i would have agreed to that ETF in exchange for a lower rate. in doing so mediacom was guarantied a certain amount of return from me paying my bill the ETF is supposed to cover that if i terminate service, now you cant tell me that if i terminate at 12 months your loss of profit is the same as if i canceled at the 2nd month. (thats assuming that the promo rate is as low as they can go and still pay retrans fees with just enough profit for the ETF to cover if you terminate something i highly doubt)

ZC_217
join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA

ZC_217

said by thedragonmas:

does that line of thinking apply to natural disasters? or arson? or how about renters? you realize the majority of renters only have a 1 year lease dont you?

Ok, so with natural disasters or even with fire and such. There is nothing that says you have to leave town after those. You can relocate to a residence in the same city. If Mediacom doesn't service that part of town, I would say you have an argument for not paying ETFs. And as for renters, saying that they are only a 1 yr lease doesn't mean anything. Mediacom offers month to month service agreements. Where you can drop them at the end of any month with NO ETFs, NO FEES. You just aren't able to receive the discounted rates. That is a choice you have to make. Perhaps people need to look further ahead than just the bill at the end of the month.
said by thedragonmas:

so by your logic if i sign that contract, then for what ever reason i end up moving (i.e. the realty agency simply chooses not to renew) and i end up moving outside of mediacoms area im supposed to keep paying for a service i cant even get?

So by your logic, I'll make an agreement to with you to buy 1000 hours worth of services from you over the next 2 yrs. You agree to provide the services at a 15% discount, then after 6 months I say. Nah, I don't want them anymore because I'm choosing to move to a location you won't service. You wouldn't want some sort of compensation for the breach of contract? I'm willing to guess that you would want some sort of compensation because you made business decisions based on the agreement that I would buy services for the next 2 yrs.
said by thedragonmas:

yes i would have agreed to that ETF in exchange for a lower rate. in doing so mediacom was guarantied a certain amount of return from me paying my bill the ETF is supposed to cover that if i terminate service, now you cant tell me that if i terminate at 12 months your loss of profit is the same as if i canceled at the 2nd month. (thats assuming that the promo rate is as low as they can go and still pay retrans fees with just enough profit for the ETF to cover if you terminate something i highly doubt)

I could care less if the ETF is lowered as you go through the duration of the agreement. You agreed to it when you accepted the services at a discounted rate. Just because another company does something different doesn't mean everyone has do it that way. Would it be nice to lower the ETF as you go through the agreement time, sure. But there is nothing that says they have to.

In fact, I'll tell you right now, I'm on month to month pricing because I have moved so much lately that I wasn't sure if the places I was moving too would allow or be able to get Mediacom services. Should I choose to move to a place that I'm unable to receive Mediacom services, I can cancel my service at the end of the month with NO ETF! I just don't get discounted pricing. It's a decision I made because I wasn't sure of my location of the next few yrs and I didn't want to get stuck with an ETF if I did relocate to a non-Mediacom serviced place.