Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
Netgear WNR3500L

3 edits

bgoodbody

[IPv6] Problems getting an IP

JL,

I have had a problem getting an IP from Comcast and have found the problem described here in a Thread in Comcast Direct. SInce it seems to involve IPV6 I thought you might be interested.

(edit: link to private forum removed)

The essense is:
When I have the IPV6 Setting of the router set to AutoDetect
Then Comcast will not assign an IP.

When I disable the IPV6 Settting it works as expected.

I am using a NetGear WNR3500L which I was sent some time ago by SamKnows as part of FCC testing.

I am using the firmware from them which is available here:
»fcc.samknows.com/firmware.html

Router Status

Hardware Version WNR3500L
Firmware Version V1.2.2.46_35.0.57SK
GUI Language Version V1.2.2.46_2.1.12.1

Feel free to contact me if you want nore info.

Thanks
cooperaaaron
join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

cooperaaaron

My WNR3500L from Sam Knows does not have provisions for IPV6 in it's firmware. My other WNR3500L that is totally mine has IPV6 already in the firmware and works with IPV6. Can anyone else with a whitebox from Sam Knows, tell us what they have and what their settings are ?

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by cooperaaaron:

My WNR3500L from Sam Knows does not have provisions for IPV6 in it's firmware. My other WNR3500L that is totally mine has IPV6 already in the firmware and works with IPV6. Can anyone else with a whitebox from Sam Knows, tell us what they have and what their settings are ?

You should contact them. They really should be testing dual stack connectivity on those things.
bgoodbody
Bill G
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody to cooperaaaron

to cooperaaaron
You may need to latest firmware from SK. I have edited the OP to contain the link to it.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to bgoodbody

Premium Member

to bgoodbody
said by bgoodbody:

JL,

I have had a problem getting an IP from Comcast and have found the problem described here in a Thread in Comcast Direct. SInce it seems to involve IPV6 I thought you might be interested.

The essense is:
When I have the IPV6 Setting of the router set to AutoDetect
Then Comcast will not assign an IP.

When I disable the IPV6 Settting it works as expected.

Feel free to contact me if you want nore info.

Thanks

Are you tring to setup a 6to4 tunnel? I dont think your area is turned up for v6 yet. But if you PM me your Cable Modem MAC Address I can look this up for you.
bgoodbody
Bill G
North Truro, MA
Netgear WNR3500L

bgoodbody

It is not turned up here yet (head end mashpee, MA)

Not actually trying to set up tunnel, but just tryo to start up and connect after Modem Reboot. If the NetGear WNR3500 has the IPv6 option turned on. It do not get any (even IPv4) from Comcast. Turn it IPv6 in the router off, then I do.

Once I have it, then I can set the IPv6 to AutoDettect and an IPv6 6 to 4 Tunnel gets setup just fine.
reslor1
join:2003-01-10
Hackettstown, NJ

reslor1

I have the same issue with a wndr4000. The best work around I have found is to disconnect the wan cable from the router and shut it down. Wait 30 seconds then power the router back up. After all the lights stabilize, plug the wan cable back in. No need to power cycle the modem. This gets my connection back after a power failure. I only need to do this when ipv6 is enabled.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to bgoodbody

Premium Member

to bgoodbody
said by bgoodbody:

It is not turned up here yet (head end mashpee, MA)

Not actually trying to set up tunnel, but just tryo to start up and connect after Modem Reboot. If the NetGear WNR3500 has the IPv6 option turned on. It do not get any (even IPv4) from Comcast. Turn it IPv6 in the router off, then I do.

Once I have it, then I can set the IPv6 to AutoDettect and an IPv6 6 to 4 Tunnel gets setup just fine.

I take it that the WNR3500 does not have the "6to4" IPv6 config setting that is present in my WNR1000v2?

bgoodbody
Bill G
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody

Yes much the same, but not clear how this applies to this case?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by bgoodbody:

Yes much the same, but not clear how this applies to this case?

It would only be not applicable if you tried it and it did not work. Since you already know that you don't have native IPv6 at your location, then setting up your router for the mode that does work would seem to make sense to me. Although I do understand that some people just enjoy banging their head against the nearest wall.

And FWIW, it is possible that even when you do get native IPv6 at your location, you may need to use the "dhcp" setting in your router's IPv6 setup instead of "AutoDetect". Sometimes you have to use what actually works instead of what you want to work.
bgoodbody
Bill G
North Truro, MA
Netgear WNR3500L

bgoodbody

The problem here is not getting IPV6 to work here (6 to 4 tunnel), but getting an IPV4 address for through the eMTA when the IPV6 option is turned on in the router. I have to diable it, get the IPV4 from Comcast and then I can user either out detect of 6 to 6 tunness for the IPV6 setting in the router.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by bgoodbody:

The problem here is not getting IPV6 to work here (6 to 4 tunnel), but getting an IPV4 address for through the eMTA when the IPV6 option is turned on in the router. I have to diable it, get the IPV4 from Comcast and then I can user either out detect of 6 to 6 tunness for the IPV6 setting in the router.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. In your original posts you only mentioned having problems when your Netgear router was in automatic IPv6 mode, you did not say that it did not work properly when in 6to4 mode. My Netgear router does work properly for both IPv4 and IPv6 when its IPv6 mode is 6to4, so that is why I suggested that you try it.

If your Netgear router does not work properly now when in 6to4 mode, I suspect that it might not work in automatic IPv6 mode when Comcast enables native dual stack at your location either. I'm pretty sure that I have seen some reports that it was necessary to use DHCP mode with Comcast's dual stack implementation with some Netgear routers.
bgoodbody
Bill G
North Truro, MA
Netgear WNR3500L

bgoodbody

The ONLY time I have a problem is when the Modem is reset/rebooted AND IPv6 on the Router MUST be set to disabled.

The router then gets it's IPv4 connection so I can use it to access the internet.

THEN I can set the IPV6 setting of the router to Detect/Auito Config OR 6 to 4 tunnel (no IPV6 from comcast yet).

So 6 to 4 works fine if I turn it on AFTER getting the IPV4 for the router from Comcast.

ITS JUST THE STARTUP THAT IS A PROBLEM