share rss forum feed

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to Melissa2009B

Re: [Speed] May have to switch to Comcast

Yes, the modem will be become an invisible bridge, and The IP will be assigned DIRECTLY to YOUR router...All networking and routing on the LAN will become your responsiblity.

Melissa2009B

join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO
said by tshirt:

Yes, the modem will be become an invisible bridge, and The IP will be assigned DIRECTLY to YOUR router...All networking and routing on the LAN will become your responsiblity.

Whew, I hope I can handle that and get it to work...and don't drive you guys crazier.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Hey, we're a forum where people should come for help. We were all newbies once. And if you need help in the future, this is where you'll come to troubleshoot and get your answers, whatever they may be.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
said by Chris 313:

Hey, we're a forum where people should come for help. We were all newbies once. And if you need help in the future, this is where you'll come to troubleshoot and get your answers, whatever they may be.

You guys are really appreciated! Believe me! I'd be lost in the dark without you.

I just ordered the:

NetGear WNR3500L-100NAS Rangemax Wireless-N Gigabit Router with USB (Factory Refurbished)

from Amazon.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
I hope everything works out for you and you have no regrets when this thing gets solved. And it is nice to be appreciated. Thank you.

I looks forward to further updates about your issues and their resolution.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
Thanks Chris!

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
You're very welcome. I'm not familiar with the router or brand you chose to go with, but after the recent Cisco firmware debacle, I'm thinking of giving Netgear a try. I've heard pretty good things about this one: »www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNDR3700-···WNDR3700

Now, there are probably newer, better versions out there, but when I go shopping for a new router in 3-12 months I consider a few things. Gigabit ports are a must. The fastest I can get so I don't have to replace it when the next speed upgrade comes. Compatibility with other firmware such as DD-WRT is a must as well. Price is also a consideration. I'm not willing to spend more then 200 (Although less is certainly a welcome plus.)

Hell, if I could do it EXACTLY as I wanted, I'd probably build one of those small computers and use that as my router.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
said by Chris 313:

You're very welcome. I'm not familiar with the router or brand you chose to go with, but after the recent Cisco firmware debacle, I'm thinking of giving Netgear a try. I've heard pretty good things about this one: »www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNDR3700-···WNDR3700

Now, there are probably newer, better versions out there, but when I go shopping for a new router in 3-12 months I consider a few things. Gigabit ports are a must. The fastest I can get so I don't have to replace it when the next speed upgrade comes. Compatibility with other firmware such as DD-WRT is a must as well. Price is also a consideration. I'm not willing to spend more then 200 (Although less is certainly a welcome plus.)

Hell, if I could do it EXACTLY as I wanted, I'd probably build one of those small computers and use that as my router.

Well look at the reviews on that one I mentioned, and just bought. And we've never been anything but happy with anything Netgear!

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
Update: GBTV started working fine this past week. Not sure what they did, but mentioned they were working with Comcast. I've been able to watch the last few shows with no reloads. Whoo hoo!

But the Netgear router is still on the way...

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Thank is excellent news! Still, I look forward to hearing what else happens for you!

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
Another little issue here, since the switch from CenturyLink DSL to Comcast HSI. Wireless was used for both.

So I got this little PTZ night vision IP camera for around $75 on Ebay a couple of years ago. It wasn't easy to setup if I recall ( made in Taiwan, possibly in a back alley, with no support. It's kinda staticky on the sound quality. ), but was working with the Qwest PK5000 wireless router. The software remains installed on my PC.

So we switched to the Comcast wireless gateway about 5 weeks ago and it no longer works now.

I'm halfway wanting to fix it, and have half a mind to just find something of better quality, if possible, for the same money, and ditch this one.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
Well the refurbed Netgear router mentioned above, came from Amazon today. Now that GBTV has been fixed, I'm hoping it's not just a futile exercise to use this thing, right?

Hopefully it will STILL speed things up some, over the TG862 gateway?

I'll need to wait for the weekend to try this, so as not to risk losing business emails or anything.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
You have a day or 2, take the time to chart out which port you want each thing attached to, which (if any) devices are staticly assigned, and so on. then take your time move one wire at a time and being sure that works before the next.
If carefully thought through the change over should be less than an hour--- and in worse case you can back up to where you are now, and try again later.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
said by tshirt:

You have a day or 2, take the time to chart out which port you want each thing attached to, which (if any) devices are staticly assigned, and so on. then take your time move one wire at a time and being sure that works before the next.
If carefully thought through the change over should be less than an hour--- and in worse case you can back up to where you are now, and try again later.

I'm totally clueless at this point, will have to look up what you mean.

But IS there any point in messing with this, now that things are working? Will it really speed things up, make them run any more smoothly, or give us any advantage at all?

The old saying comes to mind: If it works, don't fix it.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Melissa2009B:

But IS there any point in messing with this, now that things are working? Will it really speed things up, make them run any more smoothly, or give us any advantage at all?

The old saying comes to mind: If it works, don't fix it.

Sounds to me as if you are giving yourself some good advice.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
reply to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

Another little issue here, since the switch from CenturyLink DSL to Comcast HSI. Wireless was used for both.

So I got this little PTZ night vision IP camera for around $75 on Ebay a couple of years ago. It wasn't easy to setup if I recall ( made in Taiwan, possibly in a back alley, with no support. It's kinda staticky on the sound quality. ), but was working with the Qwest PK5000 wireless router. The software remains installed on my PC.

So we switched to the Comcast wireless gateway about 5 weeks ago and it no longer works now.

I'm halfway wanting to fix it, and have half a mind to just find something of better quality, if possible, for the same money, and ditch this one.

On this one, is there a better topic forum here, where I can ask about this?

I just realized that this camera may not need to go into our Comcast router, it may be able to be seen by the Medialink wireless USB unit on my PC.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

1 edit
Well I have the separate router and downloaded manuals for that and the TG862G from Comcast, but I haven't the foggiest idea how to configure these in that "bridge" mode now. What to hook to what? Is it simple or rocket science?

Ok, some more investigating here...

Looks like I plug the ethernet ports together, get Comcast to switch to bridge mode, then reconfigure the PC's and Rokus into the router?