spc
Search similar:

uniqs
djc
join:2009-06-14
Escondido, CA

djc

[CA] Losing channel bonding in N San Diego

Today is the second day I have had issue with my Cox service.

I have a 6120 and channel bonding has been available in my area for quite some time (1 yr?). Yesterday, I lost Internet and when it resumed, the modem was not indicating channel bonding was active. I reset the modem again and watched as it attempted to initialize and bond, then restarts again and comes online with no bonding. I checked my downstream power level via the modem's site and it was low at -16 dBmV.

I called in and the support gentleman didn't understand the problem as I still had connectivity. He admitted he didn't know what channel bonding is or how power levels can affect signal, but said he could roll a truck for $50. I figured I'd wait it out and the problem would resolve itself. Later that night, I noticed the modem indicated it again was bonding and when I checked the power levels, the downstream was at -9 dBmV.

Today at around the same time, I lost internet (was on a VOIP call and my work VPN dropped) and saw the modem do the reset and come online again with a single channel. Power level back at -16 dBmV. It is clear that calling support is not going to resolve the issue as tier 1 doesn't see the problem as I still have connectivity.

No changes have been made as far as wiring is concerned. It is warming up a bit, but only in the 80's. I'm guessing that the low power levels are causing the modem to be unable to bond, but that's just a left field guess.

Is there anyway I can remedy myself? I can't have this disconnect everyday. It has worked well for 2+ years and without any changes I'm hard pressed to determine a root cause.

thanks

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog

Premium Member

I'd say try calling again. -16 signal is pretty much as bad as it gets and something that should be fairly easily fixed.

You might also want to just double check all the splitters and wiring and report back here how many outlets you have, where the splitters are and where each outlet goes. That info can go a long way in helping to figure out the problem.
djc
Escondido, CA

djc

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't know what to say when I call. The tier 1 guys read their script and don't understand the power level issue at all. Speeds are still 30 mbps and 10ms ping, so no service issue there for them to roll a truck at their expense.

I have no splitters inside (not sure what's outside). The line for the modem comes straight out of the wall in the family room. 2 TV's in the house (living room/bedroom) for a total of 3 active outlets.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog

Premium Member

So three outlets in the house? Make sure the wiring is all tight inside and do a visible check of whatever you can see outside.

When the modem levels are -16 they shouldnt need to really see more than that. That alone dictates something needs to be fixed. Also if/when you get a guy out there, kindly ask him to replace any visible fittings. I'd recommend you make sure the cable going from the wall to the modem is also somewhat good quality, cheap thin cable with bad fittings is not good for high frequency signals.
djc
Escondido, CA

djc

Yes. All wiring is tight and good. Quality connectors, no thin wire with push on connectors.

I wish there was a direct dial into a tier 2 guy! They'd do exactly as you said and notice the issue. The tier 1 guys are more "computer help" than anything.

The power levels have returned to "normal" and after restarting the modem, I'm back to 4 bonded channels @ -14, -12, -9, -8. We'll see what tomorrow holds.

Thanks for your replies.

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki to djc

to djc
You might want to reset the parameter configuration to default factory and then reboot your cable modem in step. that should revert back to normal operations.

»192.168.100.1/cmConfig.htm
bseal22
join:2009-02-14
San Ysidro, CA

bseal22 to djc

to djc
Sorry to hear that. Just like any data service provider out there, the gentleman should have been able to pull up the levels on your modem. Based on that, he should have seen if the levels were good or bad and see if the modem is connected to the bonded channels. I would suggest calling again.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to djc

to djc
If -14, -12, -9, and -8 are normal levels for you 6120 something is still definitely wrong. -10 to +10 is considered acceptable and all channels should be withing +/-2db relative to each other per tuner.