how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime

join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA

How can distributors be allowed to just pull channels?

I'm curious about something technically. don't all national networks such as Nick, USA, TBS, and the like, originate on a C-band or KU-band satelite which all distributors be they satelite or cable then receive and rebroadcast to their customers? Assuming this is the case, why can't these providers just keep on broadcasting the channel? Can the provider itself somehow truly prevent the distributor from receiving the signal from the originating satelite? I suppose now that everything is digital this may be very possible. Finally can't consumers who may have a c-band or KU-band dish receive these channels directly from the content provider, just as the distributor would be doing? What would be the rate charged by the content provider to receive a given set of channels if say I had a dish and wanted to receive content that way? I don't know if there are very many consumers with the big dishes anymore, but I would think that would be one way of getting around all these carrier imposed messes. Just watch the content from the source signal.

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY
They are called copyrights for a reason.

All the cable channels are encrypted on C Band. Even if it was legal to take their signals and redistribute them without the networks' permission the networks could just revoke the decryption keys they gave the providers. The cable companies would then have to break the encryption, violating even more laws.

Consumers can no longer practically receive most cable channels from C Band because the networks have moved away from a standard encryption system which allows for authorization to end consumers' receivers to multiple encryption methods not designed for home receivers. The hardware to decrypt these satellite distribution feeds costs thousands of dollars and networks only provide decryption information to cable companies, not home customers.

4DTV/Digicipher II is the last C Band encryption system designed for home users to be allowed to subscribe to it and it is dead now with fewer than 20,000 subscribers, a tiny selection of networks, and no HD channels.

The only thing C/Ku Band dishes are useful for anymore is free-to-air unencrypted content, or if you're some sort of super genius, private decryption of all the encrypted feeds. The piracy scene may have figured out how to do some of this but there is no encryption in use for satellite distribution right now that has had a method released to decrypt it publicly. Anyone who may have figured out how to crack the newer encryptions has learned their lesson from the last time cracks were made publicly available: everyone switched encryption to something even more complex and more difficult to crack.

Mikey

@charter.com
reply to kd6cae
said by kd6cae:

why can't these providers just keep on broadcasting the channel? Can the provider itself somehow truly prevent the distributor from receiving the signal from the originating satelite?

The satellite feeds are encrypted, and the companies that use them have to get their satellite receivers authorized by the programmers.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to kd6cae
Even if the feeds weren't encrypted, they can't legally rebroadcast them without an agreement with the programmers. Otherwise, the lawyers will descend like locusts.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to kd6cae
said by kd6cae:

Can the provider itself somehow truly prevent the distributor from receiving the signal from the originating satelite?

In a nutshell, this is how it works:

A media company that owns 1 or more TV channels for distribution, beams them to a commercial operated satellite, and encrypts the stream with a encryption that can be decrypted with say.... 100 different decryption keys. Each of those 100 encryption keys is different, but can be used to decrypt the stream.

Distributors, like Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, Time Warner, Brighthouse, Cox, FIOS, U-Verse, and dozens of smaller, local cable companies receive this feed by satellite, and are issued a single decryption key - one of the 100 - by the media company to decrypt the feed. They in turn re-distribute, re-encode, re-work the feed for their own system. Cable companies distribute it across their cable network, U-verse converts it to IP-TV, DirecTV and Dish beam it to their OWN satellite for customers to receive. 100 keys is a fictional number of course, just used as an example.

If a network needs to be pulled, it can happen any of 2 ways.

1) The distributor simply replaces the channel with something else, or nothing at all.

2) The media company revokes the encryption key for 1 particular company, and that company now no longer can decrypt the channel, and gets a black screen instead. Other companies that do not have a dispute, continue to receive the feed without issue.

So, it all depends who gets pissed off the most whether 1 or 2 happens.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"