Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper to Zeonis

Premium Member

to Zeonis

Re: Unreliable speed

said by Zeonis:

I was on Sonic Fusion and I switched to AT&T standard DSL not U-verse.

I wonder which network they put you on. Can you provide the make and model number of the modem you are using with this service?

I'm trying to run this down because if it's truly the ADSL1 platform, as you were on when you were with us, I'd like to dig into the questions around congestion. We're seeing some RTs and some COs exhibit congestion, and they've closed some markets and are forcing some customers to migrate, so we're trying to determine if they are treating everyone consistently as this occurs.
Zeonis
join:2009-03-16

Zeonis

said by DaneJasper:

I wonder which network they put you on. Can you provide the make and model number of the modem you are using with this service?

I'm trying to run this down because if it's truly the ADSL1 platform, as you were on when you were with us, I'd like to dig into the questions around congestion. We're seeing some RTs and some COs exhibit congestion, and they've closed some markets and are forcing some customers to migrate, so we're trying to determine if they are treating everyone consistently as this occurs.

It is the Siemens Speedstream 4100. You lost me when you are talking about which network cause I thought they connect you to the nearest CO and that you connect to the network from there. But yeah I am sure you know the technical stuff better than me...

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

Interesting. This is a standard ADSL1 modem, which would imply that in switching from Fusion ADSL2+ (up to 24Mbps technology) to AT&T ADSL1 (up to 6Mbps, capped), you are seeing BETTER performance after the switch? Doesn't make a lot of sense....

-Dane
Zeonis

Zeonis

said by DaneJasper:

Interesting. This is a standard ADSL1 modem, which would imply that in switching from Fusion ADSL2+ (up to 24Mbps technology) to AT&T ADSL1 (up to 6Mbps, capped), you are seeing BETTER performance after the switch? Doesn't make a lot of sense....

-Dane

Yes I am glad you are seeing why I got so frustrated and angry. Also when I experienced the horrible speeds (.25-1 Mbps) I tried switching to ADSL1 mode on the ZTE 831II but the horrible speeds were still there. Granted the horrible speeds came and went but I just could not deal with it anymore. Synced at about 17 Mbps and having the speed vary so much... typically it was below 10 Mbps.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

Did we have our tech visit to test at the MPOE, with their equipment? Maybe it was your modem?

-Dane
Zeonis

Zeonis

Yes I went through a big song and dance... working on this for months. They tested at the MPOE and at the BBOX. Using their own modem (I believe it was a Motorola) and laptop. They even sent me a loaner modem. Eventually they replaced the DSLAM card. After replacing the card the issue was still there and they could not figure it out so they blamed the copper line and essentially said there was nothing that could be done.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

said by Zeonis:

Yes I went through a big song and dance... working on this for months. They tested at the MPOE and at the BBOX. Using their own modem (I believe it was a Motorola) and laptop. They even sent me a loaner modem. Eventually they replaced the DSLAM card. After replacing the card the issue was still there and they could not figure it out so they blamed the copper line and essentially said there was nothing that could be done.

That's very, very odd. ATT using older DSL technology is delivering you a faster connection than our new ADSL2+ could...? Odd.
Zeonis

Zeonis

Just to make sure you are understanding correctly... When I was with Sonic Fusion I was synced at about 17 Mbps with no problems with loss of sync. But the speed I would actually get would fluctuate a lot. Like I say usually below 10 Mbps but at times, which was the deal breaker, it would be as bad as .25-1 Mbps. The speed I actually get meaning on speedtests whether it be on speedtest.net, speakeasy, sonic.net speedtest, or ftp.sonic.net... not to mention the fact that when speeds are that bad you notice it without having to do a speedtest. But now with AT&T DSL I am getting consistent/reliable speeds.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

said by Zeonis:

Just to make sure you are understanding correctly... When I was with Sonic Fusion I was synced at about 17 Mbps with no problems with loss of sync. But the speed I would actually get would fluctuate a lot. Like I say usually below 10 Mbps but at times, which was the deal breaker, it would be as bad as .25-1 Mbps. The speed I actually get meaning on speedtests whether it be on speedtest.net, speakeasy, sonic.net speedtest, or ftp.sonic.net... not to mention the fact that when speeds are that bad you notice it without having to do a speedtest. But now with AT&T DSL I am getting consistent/reliable speeds.

Okay, understood. Very, very strange.