guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD

Re: Garage addition

Its an option from my experience ( stamp ) and extra cost as it's never the engineer that makes the plans but a drafts person. A firm may only have one PE, but 10 people doing the plans

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj

Premium Member

This is true, but the draftsmen all work under the direction of the PE so the plans are P.E.'s design drawn by the draftsman. Typically, any drawings that leaves an engineers office that doesn't have a seal on them are either (a) preliminary or uncompleted drawings or (b) The client used the company as a drafting service and not for engineering services.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

depends on the jurisdiction. I couldn't release a drawing or report in NJ without a seal. In NY I could, but once it had my name and number, it would (have to) be as good as sealed.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to natedj

Premium Member

to natedj
said by natedj:

Typically, any drawings that leaves an engineers office that doesn't have a seal on them are either (a) preliminary or uncompleted drawings or (b) The client used the company as a drafting service and not for engineering services.

Which is exactly what the OP did, he had plans drawn up, not stamped. When he went back, they charged to make the drafting service plans official engineered plans

All services I checked out do this, its just a bit over the top what he paid for the stamp, but its very common for actual firms to do this, two tired pricing.

The OP could have take those drafted plans and found his own PE to stamp them, not uncommon at all.

This is just one of many joys of being your own GC

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

n/m
AVD

AVD to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

said by natedj:

Typically, any drawings that leaves an engineers office that doesn't have a seal on them are either (a) preliminary or uncompleted drawings or (b) The client used the company as a drafting service and not for engineering services.

Which is exactly what the OP did, he had plans drawn up, not stamped. When he went back, they charged to make the drafting service plans official engineered plans

sometimes it costs more to fix a mistake.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by AVD:

sometimes it costs more to fix a mistake.

Oh I understand and completely agree ... like interior walls that zero width on the plans

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
I'm a little confused now. Looking back on the PDF the OP posted, there are "A" sheets and "S" sheets signifying architectural and structural sheets, if there were already architectural drawings then why would anyone have structural drawings done and not have them sealed? I guess that the OP thought the city won't require a seal and he choose the cheaper way out, but shame on the engineer that charge that much to stamp a set of drawings that came out of his own office.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by natedj:

I'm a little confused now. Looking back on the PDF the OP posted, there are "A" sheets and "S" sheets signifying architectural and structural sheets, if there were already architectural drawings then why would anyone have structural drawings done and not have them sealed? I guess that the OP thought the city won't require a seal and he choose the cheaper way out, but shame on the engineer that charge that much to stamp a set of drawings that came out of his own office.

OP doesn't handle that stuff. That's the GC's job.