spc
Search similar:

uniqs

draconus
@twtelecom.net

draconus

Anon

ZyXel fr1000z Modem

I'm looking at FINALLY upgrading my old GT704-WG modem. I'm looking at getting the ActionTec Q1000z or the Zyxel Q1000z. Both seem to perform well from what i've read and both support Wireless N (which both my tablet and laptop have), and gigabit ethernet (which my media server has)

Now i noticed there is also a Zyxel fr1000z (which is a bit cheaper than either modems on eBay), but i can't for the life of me find ANY specs or any comparisons to the other 2. Anyone have one and/or know the exact specs, whats the difference between this and the q1000z or at least can tell me if it supports Wireless N and Gigabit ethernet?

I've checked the Centurylink website and i can't find any specs on it there, just the usual setup documentation.
HiDesert
join:2008-08-17

HiDesert

Zyxel PK5000 is a ADSL 2 modem.. I use that and love it. Rock solid. Actiontec Q1000 is a VDSL modem.. tried that, lots of disconnects. Why? Because I have ADSL service, not VDSL. So you need to buy the modem that suits your connection type.. Call higher level support to find out what you have.

For those that say both modems should work.. they don't. All depends on what you have, ADSL or VDSL. So buy according to that and save yourself a possible big headache.

draconus
@twtelecom.net

draconus

Anon

so are you saying the PK5000z is the same exact modem as the fr1000z?
TechMike
join:2008-06-09
Denver, CO

TechMike to draconus

to draconus
Zyxel Q1000z supports VDSL2. The FR1000z does not. That's pretty much it. I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, both support 802.11n and gigabit ethernet.
HiDesert
join:2008-08-17

HiDesert to draconus

to draconus
said by draconus :

so are you saying the PK5000z is the same exact modem as the fr1000z?

From Qwest/CL pages:
Actiontec PK5000

"Just like the ZyXEL FR1000z, the PK5000 includes four Ethernet ports to work with several computers. Furthermore, its Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) will help you to install a secure wireless connection, even if you know little about wireless safety. Still, Qwest will provide the necessary support to help you set up your wireless connection. The PK500 has other advantages: It includes external and internal antennas for a strong wireless signal, extra memory for added Qwest features, and wired and wireless networking capabilities."

So yes and no. I think the PK5000 has a bit more features then the FR1000z. But both should support ADSL 2

Personally, I really like my PK5000. Streams netflix HD with multiple wifi PC's on it without any issues. Great range and extremely stable on my 12 mb connection.

draconus
@twtelecom.net

draconus

Anon

ok thanks guys, i believe it's VDSL in my area but i'll double check with CenturyLink.

Xxxdsl
@cox.net

Xxxdsl

Anon

Fr1000z is uesd for FTTC, will not work on reg adsl2/vdsl2