spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LiveInVan

@184.71.178.x

[ALL] Explosion at Shaw Court knocks out most of Shaw services

Apparently there was an expostion at Shaw Court in Calgary knocking out Shaw Phone and Internet for all users in that area. This included Business Fibre. Power is off in the building. Reports say the explosion may have been caused by a backup generator.

»www.calgaryherald.com/news/calga···ory.html

shaw.ca is down too.

jonc101

join:2006-11-09
Calgary, AB

Re: [ALL] Explosion at Shaw Court knocks out most of Shaw servic

Damn that's bad. I hope they have a DR plan.

alphaz18

join:2005-02-26
CANADA
heh.. thank god i dont use shaw..
except alot of my clients do.. and they're raging like no tomorrow and i'm laughing at them :|
cuz no amount of raging at me is gonna fix it.

lostinspace

@telus.net
I realize that services going down is an inconvenience, however given the circumstances don't you think a little patience and understanding is in order? This explosion happened 5 floors above my head, and I'm just glad nobody was hurt...

jonc101

join:2006-11-09
Calgary, AB
The Municipal Emergency Plan for Calgary was just activated:
»www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Fire/Pages/C···ion.aspx

alphaz18

join:2005-02-26
CANADA
reply to lostinspace
i totally agree.. i'm not raging at shaw.. just my clients are raging at me.. and i laugh in their faces.. because chill out.. god.. let the poor people do their work.. stop relying on shaw so much or any single provider so much if your business is SOO damn important you cant be down for a bit.. geeez...

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by alphaz18:

i totally agree.. i'm not raging at shaw.. just my clients are raging at me.. and i laugh in their faces.. because chill out.. god.. let the poor people do their work.. stop relying on shaw so much or any single provider so much if your business is SOO damn important you cant be down for a bit.. geeez...

Not a raging or laughing matter. There were PEOPLE in that building that could have been killed or seriously injured.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

hdpoint
Lethbridge, Alberta

join:2009-03-02
Canada
reply to LiveInVan
Not just Shaw Communications, this includes all Corus radio stations in Calgary. Q107, Country 105 and QR770 are all off line atm.

Hopefully no one was hurt in this.

ouya

@shawcable.net
reply to LiveInVan
i am sorry for the people that got hurt, i hope nothing happen to them.

should not shaw test, maintain their backup generators or something. how can this happen to such a big provider... typical

sdha

@telus.net
reply to jonc101
said by jonc101:

Wow, wonder if its cause a large communication "data service" outage; or there is more to it.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s···ire.html

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by sdha :

said by jonc101:

Wow, wonder if its cause a large communication "data service" outage; or there is more to it.

Watch for Vic Toews to blame it on pedophile terrorists, and reiterate the need to read all your e-mail via warrantless wiretaps.

r212raa

join:2012-07-01
reply to LiveInVan
I wonder how much area is down with internet and TV service. I'm in downtown edge

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Shaw

2 edits
reply to pende_tim
said by ouya :

i am sorry for the people that got hurt, i hope nothing happen to them.

should not shaw test, maintain their backup generators or something. how can this happen to such a big provider... typical

Yup they do test it regularly.

For example today they had the generator explosion-proof test scheduled.

It failed...

said by pende_tim:

Not a raging or laughing matter. There were PEOPLE in that building that could have been killed or seriously injured.

Pfft, no one got hurt.

It wasn't a preplanned false flag attack

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
reply to ouya
said by ouya :

Some news outlets are reporting that a backup generator exploded. When your redundancies EXPLODE (an unexpected disaster some might say) it's not really something you can predict. Even space shuttles have exploded off the pad, and nobody takes redundancy as seriously as NASA. You can't prepare for or create redundancies for everything. I think for the amount of years they have successfully delivered services out of Shaw Court you can't be too upset about one bad occurrence. You can rest assured that a lot of Shaw staff will be sleepless ensuring that everything is being restored.

Also: Very glad no Shaw staffers were injured.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to alphaz18
I would hate to ask, but if you are their consultant, if they rely on their internet that much that they are 'raging' at you,

Have you not recomended that they have a 2nd internet provider?

No matter who your clients have for internet access they do go down at some point.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

balur

join:2010-04-28
reply to LiveInVan
Hope Everyone is OK

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
Everywhere that I have seen is reporting no injuries, so that is nice.

The City pages indicated that some cell services are impacted - because they use Shaw fiber, can anybody confirm which providers use Shaw and are out - this is just for my curiosity
--

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

1 edit
reply to kevinds
said by kevinds:

I would hate to ask, but if you are their consultant, if they rely on their internet that much that they are 'raging' at you,

Have you not recomended that they have a 2nd internet provider?

No matter who your clients have for internet access they do go down at some point.

QFT. My employer has a backup strategy to fail-over to WiBand in case the Bell MPLS ever happens to go down. Now with bad grammar and the raging remark, a 'supposed' company was suckered into hiring 'that poster' as their 'consultant'.

Better yet, his comment was pure FUD.

--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M (485M R.I.P) : 16GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ravenchilde
said by ravenchilde:

Some news outlets are reporting that a backup generator exploded.

If that is indeed the source of the problem it will be interesting to find out why it exploded and which part of it failed in such a spectacular fashion.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
I'm also surprised at the focus on the downtime as a result of this accident from folks here.

Accidents DO happen and NOTHING is perfect, it seems like their reliability is generally very good.

Like others have mentioned I hope that no one is seriously injured and if they are I wish for them a quick recovery.

CaptCrunch

join:2004-02-17
Calgary, AB
reply to LiveInVan
It sounds like they had a transformer blow in the building.
So the fire system shutdown the building.
Stage one is fill the pipes with water.
Stage two water flow. And it drops load from the ups.
Every IT guys worst nightmare but they will be back up and running we had a scare the other day with a pipe burst in are office and we are only a hop skip and a jump away from Shaw court.

spock

join:2012-07-08
reply to LiveInVan
I hope no one was hurt.

balur

join:2010-04-28
reply to LiveInVan
quote:
Updates on the incident at the Shaw Building

8:35 p.m.
Please only call 9-1-1 in case of emergency. It is fully operational. Please do not call 9-1-1 to test if your line is working properly - call a friend. If your phone works, so too is your connection to 9-1-1.
This makes me sad.

Cornat

join:2011-10-17
Kelowna, BC
said by balur:

quote:
Updates on the incident at the Shaw Building

8:35 p.m.
Please only call 9-1-1 in case of emergency. It is fully operational. Please do not call 9-1-1 to test if your line is working properly - call a friend. If your phone works, so too is your connection to 9-1-1.
This makes me sad.

All the media outlets are saying "911 services are down in the downtown core". It's the actual phones that are down, about 30,000 of them. Of course if your phone isn't working you're not going to be able to call 911. It's misleading.
Expand your moderator at work

BC Boy

join:2012-02-14
Kelowna, BC
reply to LiveInVan

Re: [ALL] Explosion at Shaw Court knocks out most of Shaw servic

Redundacy 101 is you don't keep your redundancy systems in the same location.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
said by BC Boy:

I'm betting it's a lot more complicated than you think.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
I've worked in places where everything was redundant, even the backup generators had backup generators.

It is not easy, and definately not cheap.
--

shaw user

@shawcable.net
reply to BC Boy
said by BC Boy:

i am wondering why a major part of Shaw's infrastructure is located in a office tower. is this common occurrence for service providers to do this?

avenger07

@shawcable.net
reply to hdpoint
said by hdpoint:

Not just Shaw Communications, this includes all Corus radio stations in Calgary. Q107, Country 105 and QR770 are all off line atm.

Hopefully no one was hurt in this.

They are also owned by shaw.