share rss forum feed

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to MaynardKrebs

Re: [ALL] Explosion at Shaw Court knocks out most of Shaw servic

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by HeadSpinning:

When talking with the risk management consultant from our insurance carrier, they said that they don't recommend FM-200 for electrical rooms - rather they'd prefer to see water.

Hope you got that in writing from him & the insurance company.

No Nothing But Water in Electrical rooms. Equipment rooms are different

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
said by Doonz:

No Nothing But Water in Electrical rooms. Equipment rooms are different

»www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story···nse.html

According to Peter Bissonette (president of Shaw Communications) by city fire code they have to use a "Wet" fire retardant as Halon is now banned.

shaw user

@shawcable.net
From the CBC article...

While Shaw is sorry for the inconvenience the outage caused, it says it's not responsible for backing up government data and suggest the outage is somewhat "politicized."

While Shaw might not be "responsible" for backing up the data, as the one operating the data center should they not work their customers to ensure there is a plan B in place?

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
said by shaw user :

From the CBC article...

While Shaw is sorry for the inconvenience the outage caused, it says it's not responsible for backing up government data and suggest the outage is somewhat "politicized."

While Shaw might not be "responsible" for backing up the data, as the one operating the data center should they not work their customers to ensure there is a plan B in place?

In the case of IBM being a tenant of Shaw Court (the building), no.
You wouldn't expect a Co-Location facility to tell you how to run your business if you put a server in it, would you?

shaw user

@74.198.150.x
I was under the impression Shaw was the one operating the data center, not a third party. Thanks for the clarification.

ravenchilde

said by shaw user :

I was under the impression Shaw was the one operating the data center, not a third party. Thanks for the clarification.

My understanding is that IBM was already in the building (Shaw Court) leasing space they had turned into a 'data center' when Shell sold it to Shaw. Shaw inherited them as a tenant, and was responsible for providing building services. Power, water, heat, etc.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to LiveInVan
I believe that is correct. They had space in the DC, but it was still owned by Shaw itself.

ravenchilde

Great video with Peter showing the breaker panel after the explosion:
»www.calgaryherald.com/business/e···ory.html

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to LiveInVan
Ouch, looks a little crispy! Better luck next time