spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sillyshydq

join:2012-05-15

[DVR] buying from ebay

I want to purchase a motorola DVR off ebay due to the fact that I have cisco boxes and verizon won't let me set up my account for motorola boxes so if I buy one online from ebay would I be able to activate it?

capt jack

@verizon.net

No, it will never work,its a brick!

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to sillyshydq

No, you cannot buy Verizon boxes off of eBay and activate them.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by Jackarino:

No, you cannot buy Verizon boxes off of eBay.

No, that's not true. You meant to say that Verizon boxes bought off eBay will not be activated by Verizon.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

Yes, post edited

sjfiostech

join:2008-07-29
Medford, NJ
reply to sillyshydq

Also, you can't mix Cisco and Moto platforms on an account

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to sillyshydq

About all you can buy that work are remotes.

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
reply to sillyshydq

Someone once posted somewhere that they "got" either their cable co or Fios installer ( I forget), to "call in & add" a ser # from a box bought off ebay.
The only thing was, that once the box was on their account, they were billed the monthly box fee for it being active, & there was no way around that...
So, perhaps someone "could" possibly get an ebay box to "work", but there would be no economic sense to try ....

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to sillyshydq

Aren't all boxes owned by Verizon? So anything being sold on Ebay would be considered stolen, wouldn't it?

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to MeatChicken

said by MeatChicken:

Someone once posted somewhere that they "got" either their cable co or Fios installer ( I forget), to "call in & add" a ser # from a box bought off ebay.
The only thing was, that once the box was on their account, they were billed the monthly box fee for it being active, & there was no way around that...
So, perhaps someone "could" possibly get an ebay box to "work", but there would be no economic sense to try ....

Correct, although I think Verizon refuses to activate them. I think that was another cable co. maybe Comcast. But you still have to pay the full amount, it's 100% pointless to buy them from Ebay. I was at a local park last year and saw a FIOS STB discarded there, and laughed and just left it there.

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
reply to Mac973

said by Mac973:

Aren't all boxes owned by Verizon? So anything being sold on Ebay would be considered stolen, wouldn't it?

Not nessesarily ...
If, for example, you remove service & don't return a box, and you are billed for it on your final bill, then per "the courts" it's yours...
( If you bill "Jim" for losing your I-pad, & he pays, you don't also own the I-pad when he shows up holding it 8 months later .. It's one or the other ..)
If a few boxes were UPS-ed to your address & got lost in shipping, VZ is paid by UPS insurance, & if UPS ever finds the boxes, they own them, & they're legally actioned off in unclaimed freight sales...

Likewise they could also be "grey market" 7216's originally bought by "El Presidente Cable Service-o" of South America, & then legally re-sold to an ebay seller by El Presidente Cable....