This is a sub-selection from ugh
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to spike010101

to spike010101

Re: ugh

said by spike010101:

And Verizon fios continues to put Comcast to shame... I think the next time I move, being in a fios area will be a requirement.

Hope enjoy paying $75 for 15 meg speeds.
nanaki333
join:2010-08-11
Chantilly, VA

nanaki333

$70 for 15meg and $80 for 50 meg, both unlimited. seems like a good deal to me, especially when you get the 50meg package with 15meg upload.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Yup. I would LOVE to have the ability to get FIOS.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to nanaki333

to nanaki333
said by nanaki333:

$70 for 15meg and $80 for 50 meg, both unlimited. seems like a good deal to me, especially when you get the 50meg package with 15meg upload.

50 meg is useless and so is 15 meg upload. Unlimited is great if one uses more than 300 GB per month.

If one need in excess of 500 GB and FiOS is an option maybe that's the better way to go.

Fact is Comcast 20 Meg tier using 500 GB a month basically costs the same as FiOS 15 meg tier over the course of a year.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by spike010101:

And Verizon fios continues to put Comcast to shame... I think the next time I move, being in a fios area will be a requirement.

Hope enjoy paying $75 for 15 meg speeds.

That is what a bundle is for. I have cellular, Ultimate HD, 35/35 Internet and digital Voice. Cellular has unlimited data and text. My total monthly bill(including taxes and cable cards) is $200. And my cellular portion is $78 of that.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to nanaki333

Premium Member

to nanaki333
Judging on the way Verizon has been handling it's business affairs lately, I would tend to believe that FiOS customers WILL ultimately see a cap come to their service. Verizon is VERY good at doing one things well.. pissing off their customers. It's not going to be long before Verizon wants to maximize it's return from FiOS users. While they will likely make it better than the other offerings, they're going to want to manipulate all products they offer.. it's only a matter of time.

Providers don't mind raising the rates on their services and losing a few customers. If they raised their rates or increased the RGU return while losing a small percentage in the process they still come out ahead for the number of people who WILL stay on the service they're hooked on will actually not only make up for the loss of revenue from departing customers, those who remain will help them realize a small increase in revenue too. This will also allow them to service less customers in the process which is also a savings. AS the market shifts, they will market and bring in new customers and the revenue increases.

THIS is what a smart business does to increase profits. That's the game of business.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
I have used CDNs that can max out an 80mbps wifi connection, and could probably do well more than that if given the bandwidth. With OS updates now in the 5GB range (OSX), games in the multi-GB range, and even video versions of podcasts now clocking in over 2GB in some cases, the more download the better.

As for upload, I'd love to have 10+mbps of upload. When backing my files up to Backblaze, I can use up to about 8mbps of bandwidth, but Comcast only gives us 2. Now imagine a family all getting back from vacation with a collective few hundred GB of photos and videos to back up, and you're using all that upload very quickly.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2 to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
Yea.. I'd love to have Fios too, IF it was provided from a different company that hasn't demonstrated some incredibly bad business practices, drastically raises price, controls and manipulates consumers in other products they offer, and outright leave their undesirable customers in the cold all while they pay their bills. I'm GLAD they offered DSL for $15 month,... good luck getting it fixed when it had a problem because they did everything possible to NOT send a tech out. What's that? Don't have a second phone cord to TRY in your modem? .. go buy one and then call us back. (after a trip to the store....) what? move the DSL modem to a new jack? .. no computer near said jack? .. move your computer and then call us back. Really good for 60 year old widows.

How about smaller cities where their copper was pure crap and their answer to repairing your service was to give you a crappy flip cell phone as a permanent fix? I'm sure it's no big deal to them either because hey, they have enough crappy flip phones to give EVERYONE on the block 1 phone per house.

How about the tax money they took from governments in the east to build out fiber about a decade PRIOR to building Fios, and then never produced?

I can go on.. but you're right.. I'd LOVE to get FiOS because their service is great... it's just too bad it's provided by a company that could give a crap less about you and has demonstrated time and time again that they'll not only ultimately pull the same stunts everyone else hates so much,.. they'll do it better!!

Yea.. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't touch Fios or anything Verizon ever put in front of me. They could plug the internet into my head and open up the entire node just to me and charge me $5 a month for it but I'd never give that company a penny of my hard earned money.
fiberguy2

fiberguy2 to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
Your unlimited data isn't going to last much longer. They HAVE given you the ILLUSION that you're going to have options to keep your unlimited data, you know, so long as you pay full price for a phone, right? ... well, they've already demonstrated very clearly that they want everyone off. It's only a matter of time before VZ just outright says "nope.. we're done." So, if/when you upgrade, even at full price and hand over a premium for your what-ever-phone you buy, just know that at some point you'll have just over paid for a phone in order to keep a plan that you already see the writing on the wall that they don't want you to have.

Let me translate your $78 a month in Verizon-speak.. "you're not the customer we want"... They pretty much just raised the price of a smart phone service to $90 a month and drastically reduced the amount of data at the same time all while selling their customers on "unlimited voice" which people have clearly said "we don't care about" and unlimited Text" which really costs them very little to provide anyway, all so you can REALLY pay, well, about $90 for a gig of data.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
It's not like AT&T is a great company, and they have a desirable product on ZERO percent of their footprint, unlike Verizon who has it in part. Also, Verizon knows that the areas they don't upgrade will all bleed over to Comcast and gang.

Fiberguy, some people will benefit, and some won't. With Share Everything, plan management becomes a lot easier, people with 6+ phones will save a bundle, heavier users can easily take some data from lighter users on their plan, MHS is now free without having to hack the phone and iPads and Jetpacks are a LOT cheaper to put on the plan.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Don't care what AT&T is doing.. I don't play the "he has more cake than I do" kinda argument.. that is to imply that everyone and everything has to be fair. So drop AT&T. This is about Verizon.

Don't care if some will make out better.. that's fine. The fact remains, and Verizon knows this, that the majority of people are going to see a dramatic rise in bills (than not) while getting less service. And if they're billing by the byte, then why must a user also have to pay to have access to said device? If you just had an ipad on the account, that 1gb is now $60, not $50.. If you add a laptop as well, that same 1gb is now $80...

And jet packs are $20 a month. How is that cheaper? The first gb of data for a jet pack is $70 a month for 1gb.. it used to be $50 for 5. I'm sorry if you can't see that. They double dipped in access to the internet. The data only devices only consume data.. period. Since they dramatically increased the cost of data, they should not need to charge a monthly fee to allow for access. The rule should be simple.. "you can have up to X amount of wireless devices on 1 account" same as any other family plan limit.

Sorry.. doesn't work.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

When you look at a family plan with several devices, Share Everything isn't a bad deal. First of all, people aren't being forced to switch, and secondly, for people who actually use most of the services they are getting (unlimited voice/text, free MHS), Share Everything is a pretty darn good deal. Spread 6 or 8 or 10GB of data over a family of devices, and for about the same cost you had before you get unlimited voice, and only one data bucket to manage.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Enjoy being raped.. and you're missing the point. For most this is not a good plan.. for some it may work. But you also miss the point when these companies speak of "value".. meaning what the services weigh for worth. I don't see any "value" in a 1gb data plan for $50 when it USED to be $50 for 5. I also can tell you that MANY people aren't seeing any "value" in unlimited calling when it's CLEAR that the very people they are targeting couldn't care less about unlimited calling to begin with.. ie: no value there. All Verizon did was shift the ball back into their court..

Again, you also miss the point.. when it comes to data only devices, it's NOT a good plan because that data rate went up dramatically. I've already explained that one too.

The ONLY benefit to the "share everything" (which it's not really "share EVERYTHING") is that you can have a little more flexibility in the data used. Quite honestly they could have done that with existing family plans by just making the amount of data in the plan pooled across all devices. I'm also sure that there was GREAT value in reducing unlimited data to 2gb and only dropping the rate by $5 right? You don't get it.. they are not doing anyone any favors in this scheme but themselves..

It really doesn't matter what you and I say to each other anyway. In the end, the only thing that matters is how many customer's wind up leaving over this and I assume there will be quite a few. And, in a way people are being forced - did you not catch that? In two different ways Verizon has made it clear that everyone WILL be switching. You don't get your upgrade and keep the plan you have. No one is going to pay $600 for a phone to keep the plan; most people can't. Some counter jockey at a Verizon store will be right there ready to sell this pile of crap, on base price alone I'm sure, and get people motivated to just go along. (And I'm sure they'll be backed by a GREAT bonus / commission program too during this time) And second, don't think about inheriting someone else's plan either.. that's gone too.

But again, for you I'm sure it works.. for most, it doesn't.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

You're comparing apples to oranges. That 1GB is now the base of a whole family plan, not just one line, or for a Jetpack. For some people, there is no value in unlimited calling, as they don't use it that much, but since Verizon never did M2AM or Rollover, for moderate users, it's a lot easier to deal with not having a minute quota, and just one data bucket. I know someone with two iPhones who talks all the time, and has MHS on at least one of them who will save a bunch.

For iPads, the prepaid plans are EXACTLY the same as they were before. For the rest of the data-only devices, they now share data with your Verizon phones, so they end up being quite a bit cheaper, and a lot more flexible. However, in many ways, they are obsoleting the Jetpacks, as they throw in MHS for free. That way, you'd always have your MHS, and if you're going to use it a lot, just throw an external battery in instead of another device with a monthly fee.

Verizon never dropped the unlimited rate by $5. AT&T did. AT&T's 2GB plan is the best plan out there, and I'm grandfathered in to it. Add a corporate discount, and I'm paying just over $20 for basically unlimited data.

People can stay on their existing plan, so unless they leave out of principle, they have no reason to leave. The only plan that is denied an upgrade in unlimited, and those users are welcome to choose the $30/2GB OR the Share Everything plans. The $30/2GB is the same cost as the $30/unlimited.

I'm on AT&T, so I'm just watching and waiting to see if AT&T does anything. AT&T, however, doesn't have the data network to justify a switch to data-centric pricing, even though it makes sense for Verizon.

If you look at Share Everything from a technical point of view, it makes a lot of sense. AT&T has said that their IP-RAN towers are 95% data, 5% voice traffic. Even if Verizon is slightly more tilted towards voice, you're still looking at most of the network doing data, so charging a steep tiered rate for data and giving away voice and text makes total sense.
« umAlleluia! »
This is a sub-selection from ugh