how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to tscbyt

Re: [Tech Ops] Netflix and ISPs w/ 50,000 subscribers or w/o

Sounds like you might need either a lower amount of subscribers on each ap or some limits with a fair access policy or UBB. (Assuming you have enough bandwidth for your subscribers)

We offer a 100GB monthly limit for this reason when it is reached the connection is slowed to 1.5 down and 128k up.

At least 1/3 of my customer base uses netflix. The only complaint I have about it is it by default goes to the best quality your connection can support it would be much more preferable if it started at 480P and let you change it up.

What type of gear are you using ?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

What tier are you offering that slows to 1.5 down? I've never approached 100GB per month.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to jcremin

Re: [Tech Ops] Netflix is abusing ISPs

said by jcremin:

said by iansltx:

...so you can build pricing tiers that account for the fact that sustained use of the customer's plan allotment kills your network...right?

Yes, that's why I sell a 768k connection for $40/mo, a 1 meg connection for $60, and a 1.5 meg for $80. I could sell a 1.5 meg for $40 and put a small cap on it, but I've chosen not to play the "speed game" where I try to advertise the fastest "up to" speed and then cap them. I still have a provision for "excessive use" but I've built my plans around what seems to be sustainable for my network.

@jcremlin, that's where we agree, and have taken the same path. My competition is priced lower. But his subs quit and come to me because although I am more expensive, they get what they pay for with me, all the time.

OHSrob

reply to Jim_in_VA

We offer 5 down/512k up as well as 6 down/800k up for business. (The site has out of date information we have a planed update soon)

Ive only have 1 customer that goes over 100GB/mo frequently. Most customers sit between 30GB and 60GB.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

said by OHSrob:

Most customers sit between 30GB and 60GB.

The wife and I can't seem to muster up even a tenth of that most times.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to jim_p_price7

Agreed. To the OP : make your business plan sustainable and consistent. We move about 15TB a month on average and most customers are in the 50 to 80 GB per month range. A few do over 200GB, but a lot also stay under 10GB. We routinely get customers from other ISP's that have great sounding 'Up To' speeds on their Propaganda, but pathetic Caps or ridiculous overloading. Being Conservative, Consistent and Reliable has so far beaten out Overly Optimistic, Inconsistent and Unreliable (go figure).

DaDawgs
Premium
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA
reply to tscbyt

Meh, Netflix? What a bunch of horse shit. I mean seriously? You tell your customer that analog data should be downloaded from DirectTV. You tell them that any damn fool that thinks they should be able to download a movie every day is exactly that. You tell them Redbox is just in front of the grocery store. Then you tell them that you can give them 1.5 M/Bit/Sec sustained for about $1000.00 per month. Let them make the choice.
--
Once we IPv6 enable every device on the Internet we will have toasters, baby monitors, and security cameras joining the bot nets which today are populated only by idiots that can not refrain from clicking, "Yes I would like to see those titties..."

OHSrob

1 edit

said by DaDawgs:

Meh, Netflix? What a bunch of horse shit. I mean seriously? You tell your customer that analog data should be downloaded from DirectTV. You tell them that any damn fool that thinks they should be able to download a movie every day is exactly that. You tell them Redbox is just in front of the grocery store. Then you tell them that you can give them 1.5 M/Bit/Sec sustained for about $1000.00 per month. Let them make the choice.

Direct tv is not analog it's digital mpeg2 probably DVB based.

Quite frankly as long as your customers are not using your service to break the law it is there right to do what they want within your usage limit.

You really should not take a soup nazi attitude towards this.

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
kudos:2

said by OHSrob:

You really should not take a soup nazi attitude towards this.

+1

The future of video is online. Not like you can just ignore this until it goes away...

Semaphore
Premium
reply to DaDawgs

said by DaDawgs:

Then you tell them that you can give them 1.5 M/Bit/Sec sustained for about $1000.00 per month. Let them make the choice.

ROFL - THOSE were THE days though weren't they ?

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
reply to Jerm

and the future of online is video ... as if its not already
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to DaDawgs

said by DaDawgs:

You tell them that any damn fool that thinks they should be able to download a movie every day is exactly that.

FUD...a movie a day is less than 60 GB per month.

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
reply to OHSrob

said by OHSrob:

We offer 5 down/512k up as well as 6 down/800k up for business. (The site has out of date information we have a planed update soon)

Ive only have 1 customer that goes over 100GB/mo frequently. Most customers sit between 30GB and 60GB.

We don't drop below 100G usage until the 51'st user - so 3% of my users use >100Gb/mo. 12% use >60Gb/mo.
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Semaphore

said by Semaphore:

Agreed. To the OP : make your business plan sustainable and consistent. We move about 15TB a month on average and most customers are in the 50 to 80 GB per month range. A few do over 200GB, but a lot also stay under 10GB. We routinely get customers from other ISP's that have great sounding 'Up To' speeds on their Propaganda, but pathetic Caps or ridiculous overloading. Being Conservative, Consistent and Reliable has so far beaten out Overly Optimistic, Inconsistent and Unreliable (go figure).

+1

Semaphore
Premium

Sadly (or maybe thankfully (?)) the largest Wireless ISP in Canada doesn't agree with this idea

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
reply to Rhaas

wow, user #1 ... is that a business?

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA

Wow 423GB would average out to >1mbps over the entire month!

Rhaas
Premium
Bernie, MO
reply to Jim_in_VA

said by Jim_in_VA:

wow, user #1 ... is that a business?

Nope, all residential. Even the schools with 20M/20M dont touch that..
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
reply to Semaphore

said by Semaphore:

Sadly (or maybe thankfully (?)) the largest Wireless ISP in Canada doesn't agree with this idea

Haha
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

jdmarti1
Jack

join:2004-06-15
Oilton, OK
reply to Rhaas

What do you use to compile your bandwidth utilization per customer and put it in a pretty little graph like this?
--
»magicwisp.com

Rhaas
Premium
Bernie, MO

That is ARA, with some minor modifications:

»labs.asn.pl/ara/
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

jdmarti1
Jack

join:2004-06-15
Oilton, OK

I put that on my server - and it shows users offline, and the columns of the download and upload off. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of modifications did you have to make in order to make it work? Seems the docs are pretty vague.
--
»magicwisp.com