Is their food worthy of our time?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

No, it's petty just like anything I guess. But if someone offers a product and quality but doesn't deliver, it seems worth saying something...
older dog
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09

older dog to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
This thread lead to my seeking out a Popeyes, I went to the one in Troy N.Y.
I usually have chicken as an ingredient and not as the main dish itself.
The Cajun chicken is now my favorite fast food, I ate every last bit of it.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Yeah, its good. My sister (one of them) is very anti fast food, and yet she'll eat at Popeyes.

If you ever want to make good homemade fried chicken:

1. Make sure when you bread and batter the chicken it is ice cold, wash the chicken and paper towel dry it off, then dredge in flour and then in batter.

2. Use Tony Cacheri's seasonig to spice up the chicken and batter, sprinkle it on the the chicken first, and mix it into the batter.

3. Use a heavy cast iron pan or deep fat fryer. Residual heat is important (if you don't know what I am talking about, google it, when deep frying, it is important). Make sure it is deep enough that the chicken doesn't touch the bottom of the pan while frying because it will burn and taste bad. In other words, you need a deep pan and deep oil.

4. Use buttermilk.

5. Peanut oil is good for higher heat and flavor.

Keep a fire extinguisher for oil fires around because a flash fire from fat or oil is explosive and you can't put it out with water, trying to do so can kill you as well as burn your house down. Use caution and never leave a fryer alone, when frying chicken, make sure you have nothing else to distract you.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Secyurityet to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
And they have the best fast food red beans and rice. In.The.World.

Really.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

For any franchise restaurant chain that grows too fast, keeping the quality consistent is very difficult. (One thing McDonald's and Starbucks does right is their consistent quality.

Not true I had the "new" Hot n’ Spicy Chicken Sandwich It was not the same as the one I bought in a Utah testing location..

talk about consistent quality.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Popeye's here isn't the same either. I think the more north you go the less 'original' it is. When it first opened it was terrific. Now it's like 'meh'. I suppose it's a good treat once in a while.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
When I lived in Minneapolis, the one Popeyes they had/have tasted just like it does down here. Only difference is here they sell 80+% spicy to mild. Up there it was the opposite. Often I had to wait for them to cook spicy.

Jalapenos must be an option - none of the stores here have them. Church's does but not popeyes. (same parent company)

I think their rice has always been nasty.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
The Popeyes here closed a few years ago, due to lack of business!
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

1 edit

PrntRhd to craig70130

Premium Member

to craig70130

said by craig70130 See Profile
Jalapenos must be an option - none of the stores here have them. Church's does but not popeyes. (same parent company)

I think their rice has always been nasty.
[/BQUOTE :

Not quite true, AFC the parent company sold Church's in 2004, and they were run separately before the sale.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

If you ever want to make good homemade fried chicken:

I imagine everyone has a different recipe for fried chicken. I use my grandmas:

Dredge chicken in flour, knock as much flour off as you can so it's just a very light coating.

Dunk chicken in milk. Get it wet all over.

Put wet chicken in crumbled crackers. Saltines are good, but you can up the ante (and flavor) by using other types of crackers.

Deep fry for 14 minutes. Use a probe thermometer to check temperature before serving. Nobody wins with undercooked chicken.

Seasoning goes on when fresh from the fryer. It will adhere to the oil still on the surface.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

"Everybody" might have their own different recipe, but some places and people's fried chicken is better than other places and people's.

How it is cooked can have an affect on how good it is (some people think pan frying is the cat's meow, but frankly, the chicken breading rests on the bottom of the pan, burning it, a deep fat frying is much better). Tony Cachere's is at least an approximation, for a seasoning of how it's made in one area of friend chicken country.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden

Premium Member

said by signmeuptoo94:

"Everybody" might have their own different recipe, but some places and people's fried chicken is better than other places and people's.

How it is cooked can have an affect on how good it is (some people think pan frying is the cat's meow, but frankly, the chicken breading rests on the bottom of the pan, burning it, a deep fat frying is much better). Tony Cachere's is at least an approximation, for a seasoning of how it's made in one area of friend chicken country.

Burnt pan fried chicken is pan fried chicken done wrong, plain and simple. The trick is to either pound the chicken out so cooking time is reduced and the breading doesn't burn in the first place, or to have a tray preheated and transfer to the oven for 5-10 minutes or so to finish.

That said, pan and deep frying are two completely different cooking methods when all is said and done.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

said by Xioden:

Burnt pan fried chicken is pan fried chicken done wrong, plain and simple.

The problem with pan frying is that it's very difficult to control the temperature in a frying pan. A decent deep fryer will automatically control the temp of the oil.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to Xioden

Premium Member

to Xioden
How do you pound out chicken with bones on it? So you are saying to fry the chicken incompletely in the pan and then bake in the oven? I haven't tried that. Thing is, the part that touches the pan can burn pretty quickly. Most pans aren't deep enough for the chicken to float...

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

but McDs are the experts at fast food consistency and efficiency.

Pulllease. they'll send you a few free coupons for the same crap and issues you bothered to write corporate about.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

How do you pound out chicken with bones on it? So you are saying to fry the chicken incompletely in the pan and then bake in the oven? I haven't tried that. Thing is, the part that touches the pan can burn pretty quickly. Most pans aren't deep enough for the chicken to float...

Grandad used to fry heavily coated chicken, then finish in a broaster oven (like a cross between a crock pot and a toaster oven).

Best darn chicken I've ever had.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Ah, interesting. Broaster oven, I think I recall hearing of those.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

Pounding out is usually if I use chicken breasts. For dark meat I'll usually get leg quarters and then debone them as well as removing tendons and ligaments. If you split it down the middle it's usually thin enough to just dredge and cook.

I have a convection toaster oven that I use pretty much for everything that fits in it (so everything but hams or turkeys). Basically any meat that is too thick to cook right in the pan (or on the grill) without the outside getting burned before it's done throwing it into a 450-500 degree oven after browning it up nicely on the stove works really well.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· PDCroysA