All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
GTOV8
join:2006-02-04

GTOV8 to tscbyt

to tscbyt

Re: [Tech Ops] Netflix and ISPs w/ 50,000 subscribers or w/o

I still say that we are all fools for putting up with NetFlix. Here is a service that is abusing our bandwidth and we, like Lemmins, just sit back and follow the bull and drop over the cliff.

If a commercial service came along and said they wanted to provide a cool service to consumers and they needed 120VAC power from us, or they needed natural gas or our consulting time, we would tell them to buzz off unless they compensated us.

Yet here is a commercial service that gets revenue from our customers and we have to pay more to increase our bandwidth so they can provide their service. We pay more so they can reap financial benefit.

We are being abused. It's time we stopped being so stupid and blocked NetFlix service until we get compensated. We need a unified national campaign to block their service until we get to share in their revenues.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

I'm sure you have customers that are paying you a monthly fee.

Do you want them to pay you, but not use the product? I don't understand.
jim_p_price7
join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK

jim_p_price7 to GTOV8

to GTOV8
said by GTOV8:

I still say that we are all fools for putting up with NetFlix.

That logic is so far off base I don't know where to begin. Customers pay for an Internet connection. Who cares what they do with it? Either be in the business of selling an Internet connection or don't.

But if you're going to be in the business, then understand what your customers want to use it for, and apply the appropriate business model.

I've never understood the way ISP's badmouth Netflix for coming up with a successful business model as if they've done something wrong.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

1 recommendation

jcremin

said by jim_p_price7:

I've never understood the way ISP's badmouth Netflix for coming up with a successful business model as if they've done something wrong.

To be fair, not all ISPs (especially us WISP's) have the resources to build a business model that supports netflix or other video streaming services. Some use caps to limit usage to ensure that nobody does a lot of streaming, but then Netflix should keep their mouth shut about those "evil ISP's with unnecessary caps...."

Netflix gets attacked for 2 simple reasons: 1) they are the most mainstream streaming service, and 2) they have been vocal themselves.