how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

distobj9

join:2007-09-09
Ottawa, ON

2701HG-G behaving badly after factory reset

Hi all. I'm not a Bell customer, but picked up one of these today because I needed a new modem in a hurry (hah!).

I messed around with the settings, screwed something up which made it inaccessible, so did a reset using the button in the rear, holding it down for about 30-40 seconds. I've since read that that was probably longer than I wanted. As a result, my SSID changed to "2WIRENNN" from "BELLNNN", and I can no longer access it via HTTP at 192.168.2.1, even though when I connect via either wireless or ethernet, that's the gateway. It is pingable/traceroute-able, as is rest of the Internet. I even managed to SSH somewhere. But I can't connect via HTTP to anywhere, including - as mentioned - the router itself. I've tried raw telnet even, but just get connection refused errors.

I'm guessing that the box is stuck in the mode where it's only allowing me to register at bell.ca. But I don't understand why it's also blocking access to itself. Nor do I understand how to get it out of this mode, especially when I don't have access to its Web UI.

Any suggestions for how to get it back in a usable mode?

Thanks!

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
try 192.168.1.254 or »gateway.2wire.net/

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to distobj9
And if you want to get to the MDC, that is here: »192.168.1.254/management

distobj9

join:2007-09-09
Ottawa, ON
Thanks guys, but that IP address doesn't work. 192.168.2.1 *is* pingable, so the device is there, but it won't accept connections. I'm going to return it today anyhow.

martinmm

@pacbell.net
programs and features, on the left in the list -"turn Windows features on or off" . Popup blocker to off will help. i have had to turn off the anti virus even to get a connection. once eveything is down or off and you get a connection you'll have too turn on everything you need for protections. your isp can get this all done but sitting on the phone is no fun... i know.

Rockyman

join:2012-07-30
reply to distobj9
The world of computers would not exist if it were not for hardware. When referring to IT (Information Technology) and computers, the word 'hardware' emcompasses many different (visible) parts of a system. Hardware can best be defined by physical parts that can be seen and touched. They include (but are'nt limited to) computer memory (RAM), chips, mother boards, a mouse, a keyboard, a monitor, etc. By reading this hardware section, you will gain better overall knowledge of what constitutes the hardware portion of computers used in business today.