spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Swedix

join:2012-07-11
sweden

[HELP] Pingspikes with a Cisco E3200. Router issues or not?

Hey,

I recently replaced my old router with a Cisco E3200. I installed the software, Cisco Connect, went thru the installation guide which had me to install new firmware and then it was up running.

I have 2 computers connected with wire, wife's laptop on wireless and my cellphone on wifi. Everything seems to work fine.

I'm also playing some games on internet. I sometimes dual box but mostly using the 2nd computer for VoIP or browsing.

I soon noticed I got ping spikes in game. Ping could go from 100 to 1500 - 2000, game freeze for a few seconds and then back to normal.
If I'm boxing, same happen on the second computer. If I use Ventrilo, the connection drops.
Because it happens on both computers simultaneously I believe it can be an issue with the router.

I'm running Win7 on both computers.

I'm not really a net tech so I have no idea how to track down the problem. I would be very grateful for any assistance.

nosx

join:2004-12-27
kudos:5
Fire up pingplotter and find out where in the path latency is coming from.

Swedix

sweden
Thanks for the suggestion.
After running Pingplotter for awhile, this happen:

nosx

Well for starters, thats very ugly. What is happening on your LAN that is causing a complete outage for seconds? Do you have a topology diagram for further troubleshooting?

Swedix

sweden
Sorry, I don't know what a topology diagram is.
If you can explain it, I try to get one.

nosx

Does running ping plotter on other computers on the network show the same result at the same time?

What is the equipment between the NIC in your computer and the router? If any? Is there anything plugged into the network spewing traffic or causing problems? If you plug your PC directly into the router with nothing else attached (hard wired or wireless) do you still see the drops?

Swedix

sweden
The attached screenshot is from Pingplotter running on the other computer.
Only that computer was up and running at that time. It doesn't show anything special on my LAN, however I was online gaming during this time and I had the same behavior as earlier. At one moment the game "froze" and ping raised to 2500 - 3000 until it went back to normal after 5-10 seconds. (I asked and no one else on the server have these ping spikes)

My net is very simply. My router is connected to internet via an adsl modem.
I have 2 desktops directly attached to my router via wire.
I have one laptop that connect wireless but it hasn't been on any time while troubleshooting this.
My cellphone connects via wifi. Disconnecting the cellphone doesn't help.

I have pingplotter trace to the ventrilo server. I don't have any IP to the gameservers but ventrilo drops too when this occur.

nosx

If both computers are seeing the drops on the LAN at the same time I am tempted to blame defective hardware. Try getting a different switch/router and see if you are still getting periodic loss.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
reply to Swedix
Someone I talk to in an IRC channel posted about E3200 and Win7 issues earlier today. Heres what he said:

16:18 <@Q-bean-laptop> mate grabbed a Linksys e3200 on clearance from Harvey norman. with
                       the latest firmware  on it, any win 7 machine went to s**t once the
                       router connected, dished out a dhcp address to the client and started
                       passing traffic to it.
16:18 <@Q-bean-laptop> random services dying, audio, event viewer, dhcp client.
16:19 <@Q-bean-laptop> not isolated to the client in question.
16:21 <@Q-bean-laptop> a bit of a google indicates dhcp weirdness with them,

Sounds like there coule be some issues with this router and Win7.

Swedix

sweden
Thanks both of you.
I think I will try run one computer direct connected to the modem for a few days and see it there are any difference.
And if I so, I hope I can send my router back and get a different one or that Ciso can fix this problem.

Swedix

sweden
I disconnected my router and connected my main computer direct to the modem. I still got very high pingspikes but they weren't as bad as when going through the router.
I'm start to wonder if it can be the dsl modem that is the source of the problem here?
No one else I have talked to that use same isp as me in this area have these problem, so it seems to be on my side.

nosx

Also could be a flakey software issue, or NIC problem... The list of things goes on, try to eliminate one at a time and let us know where the problem lies.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:19
reply to Swedix
My list of basic troubleshooting here. Steps 4 and 7 aren't applicable, but it's some basic stuff to do.

Also keep in mind ICMP / traceroute is generally considered low priority traffic so is not always a reliable tool.

Try pinning down the exact issue -- is it drops in games versus drop in internet connectivity overall.
If you suspect the router, keeping a running ping to the router's IP address -- ie. ping [your router's IP] -t -l 1472
-- is one way to rule it out as the cause of the issue.

A direct connection to the internet to a computer is another possibility to rule it out, tho if you're security-minded,
I wouldn't do this for any length of time.

My 00000010bits.

Regards

Swedix

sweden
reply to Swedix
I replaced my dsl modem and now it seems my problem is gone.
I've been running 2 days now with new modem + ping plotter and no ping spikes so far so I would say the modem was the problem here.

Thanks for your help.