spc
uniqs

Omari
@rogers.com

Omari to elitefx

Anon

to elitefx

Re: [Extreme] Will the Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router work With T

But the Motorola SB6121 modems only has one Ethernet port, I need at least 2 for my set up at home. The approve modem list on Teksavvy kinda sucks and I'm not seeing a modem on with at least 2 Ethernet ports. Any recommendations??

My set up at home is desk top computer in upstairs den with Rogers Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router cable modem hooked up with directly with Ethernet cable in port one.

Port #2 of Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router, is a 50ft Ethernet cable from from cable modem along first floor ceiling (wrapped around along a pipe) to D-Link router, on first floor.

Desk top computer #2 hooked up to D-Link router via Ethernet cable and to the 40 inch TV (I don't do cable TV service).

Playing games online with Xbox or PS3 I have never had a problem with the Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router cable modem. Should I just order this modem any ways and have the technician set it up, or is it a issue that I would have to call into Teksavvy to have them activate the modem for it to work!?!!

anon user
@teksavvy.com

anon user

Anon

If your insistent on the Cisco, it will work but it is not on the supported list. Which means they wont even attempt to help you. Notice I say attempt, Teksavvy's support is incompetent and no better than Rogers. Take a look at the forum with the constant disconnections, at least 10 threads, no hope in sight. I suffer from this every day on a SB6121.

That said, when activating your modem, just tell them it is one of the approved modems. eg SB6121. They don't verify this info. Then give them the right mac address / serial number.

I'm looking at moving to a DPC3010 myself as it is very similar to the DPC3825 but without the router functionality.

Even though other modems are on the approved list. Rogers definitely makes a bigger effort to make sure the Cisco's work the best IMO.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to Omari

to Omari
you don't have a modem issue. you have a wiring/network issue. all standalone modems only have one ethernet port. the modem connects the ISP's network to your home network only. in your home network it's the routers job to distribute the internet.
put your modem and a wireless router on the first floor and connect the internet to your den computer using a wireless USB key. very simple. very effective.
Get yourself a Motorola SB6121, a high quality Wireless "N" Gigabit 4 port router and a Wireless "N" USB key. Get rid of that 50ft. cable. You'll Thank yourself for years to come....

Omari
@rogers.com

Omari to anon user

Anon

to anon user
said by anon user :

That said, when activating your modem, just tell them it is one of the approved modems. eg SB6121. They don't verify this info. Then give them the right mac address / serial number.

Ok just to verify and understand this, tell Teksavvy that I have a Motorola SB6121 - 1.0.6.1, then give them right mac address / serial number for the Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router cable modem that I would be using?

If I go with this plan when do I call Teksavvy to give them this info, after the technician sets up everything, while he is setting up everything or B4 I place the order?

Anon user
@teksavvy.com

Anon user

Anon

That's right. You will give this to Teksavvy over the phone when placing the order. No technician will come to you house if you already have Rogers. You just connect the new modem when the old one stops working.

Omari
@rogers.com

Omari to elitefx

Anon

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Get yourself a Motorola SB6121, a high quality Wireless "N" Gigabit 4 port router and a Wireless "N" USB key. Get rid of that 50ft. cable. You'll Thank yourself for years to come....

Thanks for the input elitefx, I would apply your instructions but I forgot to mention that the metal ceilings in my loft/ apartment interferes with the wireless signal. Plus the CPU in the den is for my video editing and we do a lot of uploading and downloading.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 7drXZFWc
Omari

Omari to Anon user

Anon

to Anon user
said by Anon user :

That's right. You will give this to Teksavvy over the phone when placing the order. No technician will come to you house if you already have Rogers. You just connect the new modem when the old one stops working.

I knew that B!#$% at Teksavvy didn't know what she was talking about, thanks Anon, I will proceed with the Cisco.

I'm going to order the modem from Microcad Computer Corporation. When you purchase any modem out side the tele communication corps or from the manufacturer, they don't say anything in the specs for which provider they are compatible with so why would it matter.

This internet BS is really getting out of hand with these companies trying to force down modems on consumers to use.
rawdmon
join:2012-07-18

rawdmon

Please post your experience here after you've spoken with Teksavvy about it. I'm in the same boat as you, that I've ordered a DPC3825 (haven't received it yet) and want to know whether or not I can use it with Teksavvy once it arrives. I'm sure it'll work from a technical standpoint but there's always the helpdesk politics to deal with.

Thanks.
Omari
join:2012-08-09

Omari

@Rawdmon: Yes it will work, Anon was right do exactly what he says and it will work fine. This whole compatible modems with different providers or firmware compatibility problems is complete B.S.!! This is just a tool the internet providers use to sell modem units, that's it.

The only thing that is accurate is depending on your speed of internet you either get a DOCSIS 2 or DOCSIS 3 modem.

So far so good for me, happy Teksavvy customer with the Cisco DPC3825 modem. :-D
Omari

Omari

Ok, actually update the Cisco DPC3825 with the latest firmware update before you proceed. It connects and then drops after like 30min and then you have to reload the page a couple of time to connect again.

I had this exact modem with Rogers before and it was fast with no problems. Something that Rogers do is update the firmware, or already has the update installed to the modems they have in stock. Teksavvy won't do that or inform you where to go to get this done but check out the Cisco website for the drivers.

»www.cisco.com/web/consum ··· ~drivers