spc
Search similar:

uniqs

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non

Anon

[Rant] Stop and Shop

I was just at the Stop and Shop on Kingsland Rd in Clifton, NJ, to buy 4 items. All the self-service checkouts were closed. There were two regular cashiers, but both of them had customers with full shopping carts. I left my 4 items at an empty lane and walked out without buying anything.

/rant

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

2 recommendations

thegeek

Premium Member

Only one person in line at each check out? No need to open a new lane. The world doesn't revolve around you. Businesses plan the number of cashiers open at one time based on the demand level that will maximize profit. Meaning it's not worth it to have an extra cashier for only one extra shopper wanting to check out. That extra cashier is better utilized facing shelves or doing other duties.
Expand your moderator at work

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non to thegeek

Anon

to thegeek

Re: [Rant] Stop and Shop

So I should stand there waiting for 10 minutes while the 8 self-service lanes are closed for no good reason.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to A non

Premium Member

to A non
I've done something similar at a local chain, not Stop and Shop, where they did have the self checkouts open but no one to watch them. My machine gave an error, I sat there for 5 minutes and no one seemed to care, the cashier on the regular lane didnt say anything or seemed to care until I was half way out the door. It was too late at that point.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to A non

to A non
I don't know about that shop but usually self services lane require one cashier to look at them.

Since not everyone likes using them, they probably felt it would be more efficient to have 2 standard lane open instead of the self service lane.

Anyway, waiting 10 minutes is not that bad... I've waited longer, and if there were only one perso at each lane, it doesn't take 10 minutes even with a full cart.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to A non

MVM

to A non

As noted - they were closed for a good reason...

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non to Anon

Anon

to Anon
said by thegeek:

As I said you are not that important.

Then I guess Stop and Shop doesn't need my money.
said by thegeek:

Self service lanes typically require an attendant for when you have issues or to monitor you to make sure you are not stealing.

I would note that the same attendant would be needed to make sure I didn't just walk out without paying anything. So that same person could look after a self-service lane or two.

But if Stop and Shop doesn't want my money, and is willing to see negative comments posted about their stores on teh Interwebz, so be it. I gotta start using Twitter.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to A non

Premium Member

to A non

Buying four items doesn't justify paying another cashier for a shift. If you had gone in 10 minutes earlier or later, those two cashiers that were there probably would have been standing there doing nothing. You can't always be first in line, that's life. I doubt S n S cares that you didn't buy 4 items, they still saved money by not having another cashier standing around.

Self checkout requires a cashier to monitor.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to A non

MVM

to A non
"I would note that the same attendant would be needed to make sure I didn't just walk out without paying anything. "

No - the attendants at the 2 lanes would patrol their lanes and not not be able to police\help the self-service machines. No place I have EVER used that has self service relied on the same person as a regular lane for self-checkout patrol. Won't be done and neither will the reverse.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to A non

Premium Member

to A non
So what you are trying to say is, "the private sector is doing fine!"?
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to A non

Premium Member

to A non
You are no better then anybody else, they will not open a lane just for you, you I would of taken down a few pegs, especially if you had made a scene, I'm just not the employee people ever want to mess with because I never go by the motto "the customer is always right"

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non to CylonRed

Anon

to CylonRed
So who is watching the other 20 unused lanes to make sure I didn't walk out without paying?

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

1 recommendation

mettachain

said by A non :

So who is watching the other 20 unused lanes to make sure I didn't walk out without paying?

Big Brother

A non
@optonline.net

A non to Anon

Anon

to Anon

How would you feel if you went to a gas station, and all the pumps were closed except for one and you had to wait in line to use the only open pump? This is the same thing. It has nothing to do with being self-centered and everything to do with providing sucky customer service (which is typical for that Stop and Shop).

Bogden
Premium Member
join:2000-07-11
Richmond, VA

Bogden to A non

Premium Member

to A non
The shop made a business decision to reduce cost at the risk of losing some business. It is a tough balance to figure out, between being all things to all people all the time, vs. running an operation so lean you lose customer service and focus, and therefore customers.

Your time has value also, so the decision was made that the value of the money you would give them, plus the value of the time it would take, was less than the value, to you, of the goods you would receive.

You took your business to an organization that had a better total package, value received vs. value given, than the original shop. That's capitalism.

God bless America!

(I would have done the same thing, for what its worth.)
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

1 recommendation

moes to A non

Premium Member

to A non
let me jump in on this one real quick since I worked at stations for years.

if we've only got 1 island open it's mostly because either we've had a hardware failure on a control or we are having to do everything manually, It has nothing to do with sucky customer service, we're not all versed in repairing or fixing gas pumps or controllers for the pumps and before you say "why did you just not replace it" I've never seen that equipment unlocked or opened by anybody BUT the people who do the work, so just stop trying to do this entitlement bullshit, it's not ever going to pay off. in the end you look like a dick.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to A non

to A non
I probably wouldn't have walked out myself, but these days it is poor form for a store of any reasonably large size to have no self-service lanes, and even poorer form for those lanes to exist but be non-operational. (I would say "Kind of like gas stations that have no working self-service pumps." - but since we are talking about NJ I can't really go there.) I may even go out of my way to avoid no-self-service situations, so those stores lose my business.

But, the very same guy who insists on using these (me) will also grumble incessantly if they misbehave in any way and require a human to step in, which in grocery stores is almost always the case with me for some reason. And, no, I'm never trying to get away with anything; I'm usually just in a hurry and pissed-off that I had to walk all over a huge store to get only a couple of items. Which is why these days I may very well stop at a convenience store to buy those things, and pay convenience store prices for them. And these stores almost never have self-service check-outs, although most everything else is self-service.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to A non

Premium Member

to A non

I prefer to shop at Big Y as the clerks are friendlier and the prices are better. I find Stop and Shop to have higher prices and rude clerks.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to A non

Premium Member

to A non
I feel your pain. I cant believe there are posters against you.
Any regular cashier can work a register and monitor the self checkout at the same time. I really dont get why stores dont leave them on 24/7. It never makes sense to turn off the self checkout lines.
I went into walmart one night to buy one damn item. They had no self checkout, two registers with a line of 10 carts each. 1)I could not believe how many jackasses do a cart load of shopping on a friday night at 11pm when just every checkout line is closed. 2) I was so damn annoyed at how slow the cashier was going. It was pathetic.
I did wait over 20 minutes for 1 damn item.

I used to work at walgreens. I could check out 10 people in the same time it takes other cashiers to do 3.
I dont understand most cashiers. They move soooo damn slow for no damn reason. Its not hard to move quickly and make no mistakes. You just have to think how to bag and scan as fast as the register will allow you to. It all about being efficient.

Sometimes I have taken a huge cart full to self checkout since all 4 self checkouts were empty and every cashier had a line of carts. I can check out my full ass cart with like 10 bags piled on the scale in half the time a normal casher can do it which is sad since the normal registers scan like 4 times as fast as self checkout registers.

I dont understand why those who work at registers dont check people out quickly when if they were in line waiting they would want the cashier to check them out quickly.

Oh yeah, and screw all you damn lottery ticket people who hold up the line for 5 minutes at the gas station while you buy a zillion lottery tickets and also smokers who hold up the line requesting some weird special pack that the clerk has to call out a search party for.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts to A non

to A non
Around here, there's no such thing as a grocery store that has self-checkout. What a crime against humanity that is.

OP, get a grip and try to find something worthwhile to complain about. I know this is the whiner forum, but that doesn't mean you have to force it.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

The OP has a valid rant.
Everyone here pretending like it is no big deal the self checkouts were closed will be the first to get frustrated if they were in the same situation.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to A non

to A non
2012-07-12 08:12:20

Assuming the OP went to a grocery store before work, what did you expect? Peak efficiency?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
It sucks but is it really that big a deal? No, not really. Just either leave or wait it out.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

The OP has a valid rant.
Everyone here pretending like it is no big deal the self checkouts were closed will be the first to get frustrated if they were in the same situation.

You are wrong. There is only ONE store here with those horrible self check lanes and what I rant about it that there are lines for those awful self check lanes that ALWAYS REQUIRE clerk intervention (so slower than cashier lanes) and only two cashier lanes open with NO quick check cashier lane open. The NO quick check cashier line open is what I rant about. I should not have to do my own bagging...not at prices charged in Safeway! And I also should not have to wait forever.

The other grocery stores here don't have self check nor does Target or Wal-Mart. I prefer all the other stores over Safeway because I resent Safeway trying to force me to do my own checkout and they are too cheap to have a quick check lane always open. My favorite grocery store has FOUR quick check lanes ALWAYS OPEN. Now THAT is proper service!

The reason Safeway has self check lanes and no one else does (and has almost no cashier lanes open) is because the cashiers are unionized at Safeway. They are not unionized at any other grocery in my town and those stores have plenty of open quick check lanes and NO self check lanes. As for Wal-Mart, they learned the hard way to not have self check...they removed them after people complained about them. Target only came here a year ago and they knew not to have self check lanes. Safeway loses a lot of my business to the other stores where there are lots of pleasant cashiers that quickly serve me.