Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to A non

Re: [Rant] Stop and Shop

Not to take sides but I've gone to a stop & shop that stays open for 24/hr and walked in around 6 AM and they have the self check outs open with no monitor.. same when late at night around 10 PM.

However I went in one time around 2 AM and they just have a single lane open.. but for a good reason because I found I was the only shopper in the store at the time.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to A non

this thread is tl;dr, because reading about 4 items is just not worth is, BUT, Kudos to the OP -- he voted with his wallet.

MoopMeep

@pacbell.net
reply to A non

Around christmas time I went to sears to buy pants. Tried them on, everything fit really great, went to the checkout and noticed a really long line. Looked around and found that this was the only cashier that was open in this part of the store. My wife saw some employee hanging around so she nicely asked if there was anywhere else we could pay. I forget his exact response but it was something like, its christmas time, suck it up and wait in that long line. So I took out my smart phone, loaded the amazon app, scanned the barcode with amazon's barcode scanner and then order the pants from amazon and left sears without having to wait in line. Technology is wonderful

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to A non

said by A non :

I was just at the Stop and Shop on Kingsland Rd in Clifton, NJ, to buy 4 items. All the self-service checkouts were closed. There were two regular cashiers, but both of them had customers with full shopping carts. I left my 4 items at an empty lane and walked out without buying anything.

/rant

My Stop and Shop is great, but that doesn't mean yours isn't sucky. If this happened all the time I'd be annoyed and shop elsewhere. If it's a one off incident, well I'd figure that there was a possibility the store was short staffed/someone called in sick and then deal.

My Stop and Shop always has a "12 items or Less" isle open at all times. I am surprised yours doesn't.

In those off-times I am in a hurry with my few items and all isles are too long - I go to the courtesy counter, where they will ring you up there too (or it prompts them to open another register).

It's hard to feel for your rant, when you didn't even go to courtesy for help.

-Jim

PS Growing up we never had any highfalutin self checkout. We waited in line for as long as it took and liked it.

Now get off my lawn.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

I think they are half great, when you just need a few items you don't have to wait for the old bitty with a handful of expired coupons, and wants to argue about them, then talk about how her cats really need that cat food.

I understand they might shutdown the self checkout during off hours, and I'm ok with this when they only leave one lane open so they are not paying people to stand around.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to JALevinworth

said by JALevinworth :

In those off-times I am in a hurry with my few items and all isles are too long - I go to the courtesy counter, where they will ring you up there too (or it prompts them to open another register).

PTU

--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

A non

@151.190.0.x
reply to JALevinworth

said by JALevinworth :

The courtesy desk was empty, as in not staffed, unoccupied, vacant. And it wasn't off hours, it was 8 AM.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Ask yourself this, who goes to the grocery store during a non-holiday weekday at eight am, very few people. Almost nobody does their family shopping at eight am.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

and yet, the OP found the only 2 people in Clifton, NJ that shop for the family at 8 in the morning in front of him.

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to A non

said by A non :

And it wasn't off hours, it was 8 AM.

my "off-times I am in a hurry" does not equal your store's off-hours. It does equal the few times I am in that much of a hurry.
said by A non :

said by JALevinworth :

The courtesy desk was empty, as in not staffed, unoccupied, vacant.

Ah ok, so you forgot that part in your rant and also where you went to the courtesy desk and reasonably waited for staff in the (most likely adjoining) back office to come forward having seen you on the monitor (which is where they are in my store if no one is waiting at courtesy) before you gave up and left. Not to jump ahead but saving the trouble.

bitemeboy

join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

1 edit
reply to A non

If somebody wants my money they better come and get it. I'm not going to stand around admiring their inefficiency. I won't hesitate to leave a basket and walk out. If I'm in a good mood, I'll confront a manager if they can keep up with me on the way out. From Home Depot to Kroger to Kohls, they have heard my standard line. "See this face, you'll never see it in here again". Kudo's to the OP for not being another American sheeple.
--
I love the "little people"!

Expand your moderator at work

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to A non

Ah, the Modern American. "My time is important..... I can't wait for all the other unimportant people to get served before me.... they should cater to me alone."

Another good saying is "A lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part."

It sucks they lost the sale due to your impatience, but if they catered to people like you and hired extra cashiers the extra expenses would make your 4 items much much more expensive....
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

Stop-and-Shop is not the bargain store to begin with.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to bitemeboy

Hope some other asshat does that to you at your job or business.

I'm so sick of the "Me, Me, Me, Me first" generation.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to A non

8am is very much off hours in the supermarket business. most stores in suburban areas do not pick up until 10 or 11am.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

Ask yourself this, who goes to the grocery store during a non-holiday weekday at eight am, very few people. Almost nobody does their family shopping at eight am.

My wife works nights, along with several hundred people in her organization; around 8 AM (after work) is their favorite time to go grocery shopping at Wal-Mart, which is directly across the street from where they work. And for the hundreds of local FedEx folks who work at the hub here, after work shopping might mean 4 AM or so. So there's a REASON why these places are open 24 hours.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

8am is very much off hours in the supermarket business. most stores in suburban areas do not pick up until 10 or 11am.

We I worked at a grocery store as a teenager, we had multiple waves coming in. I started at 5:30 AM, restocking perishables straight off the delivery trucks. Our first wave of customers began no later than 7:30 AM, even though we didn't officially open until 8 AM according to our signs (they actually unlocked the front doors and manned the registers starting at 7 AM; if there were no customers around at any given moment, the cashiers restocked the register areas). There was a second wave of customers just before lunch. There were later waves, too, but I left at 3 PM so I don't know much about those.

A non

@optonline.net
reply to JALevinworth

You seem to be unclear on who is paying for whom. They are not paying me to wait around for them to get off their butts. I am the customer who is paying them for service.

Maybe some time I'll relate the trouble I had getting them to follow their scanner price policy. (Short version: They were not going to follow their policy and I had to spend 10 minutes arguing with them about it. I think their SOP was to stonewall until the customer gives up and pays the higher scanned price instead of the posted price.)

And then there are all the signs over the aisles which are wrong, making customers walk up and down multiple aisles looking for stuff. Probably part of the plan to increase impulse buying.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

said by r81984:

The OP has a valid rant.
Everyone here pretending like it is no big deal the self checkouts were closed will be the first to get frustrated if they were in the same situation.

You are wrong. There is only ONE store here with those horrible self check lanes and what I rant about it that there are lines for those awful self check lanes that ALWAYS REQUIRE clerk intervention (so slower than cashier lanes) and only two cashier lanes open with NO quick check cashier lane open. The NO quick check cashier line open is what I rant about. I should not have to do my own bagging...not at prices charged in Safeway! And I also should not have to wait forever.

The other grocery stores here don't have self check nor does Target or Wal-Mart. I prefer all the other stores over Safeway because I resent Safeway trying to force me to do my own checkout and they are too cheap to have a quick check lane always open. My favorite grocery store has FOUR quick check lanes ALWAYS OPEN. Now THAT is proper service!

The reason Safeway has self check lanes and no one else does (and has almost no cashier lanes open) is because the cashiers are unionized at Safeway. They are not unionized at any other grocery in my town and those stores have plenty of open quick check lanes and NO self check lanes. As for Wal-Mart, they learned the hard way to not have self check...they removed them after people complained about them. Target only came here a year ago and they knew not to have self check lanes. Safeway loses a lot of my business to the other stores where there are lots of pleasant cashiers that quickly serve me.

FYI all walmarts have either a self checkout or a one line to multiple register system. Targets dont have self checkout.
Quick check? huh? any register can take checks, but who uses checks anymore?

The self checkout at safeway never requires intervention, but when I did used to shop at walmart sometimes it required intervention.

I shop at randalls/safeway each week. They always have 4 self checkouts and at least 4 registers open. Sometimes more registers, but always at least 4. They are unionized also.
Now they might not have a bagger at each register so the cashier has to bag the items after scanning.

All stores with any kind of concern for customer service HAVE self checkout so those with quick purchases dont have to wait for people with cart fulls.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Thespis

said by Thespis:

said by Mele20:

The reason Safeway has self check lanes and no one else does (and has almost no cashier lanes open) is because the cashiers are unionized at Safeway.

So you're saying that a labor union forced a store to replace human workers with machines? Odd...

No, I am saying that Safeway management refuses to properly man the quick check lanes because the cashiers are unionized! They make twice as much per hour as the cashiers at the other grocery stores here so Safeway doesn't want to pay out that much in order to keep the quick check lanes manned. The other stores hire mostly part time college students, at much lower wages, as cashiers and can thus afford to keep the quick check lanes open (and don't need to try and force self check out lanes on customers to save money).

Part of me is glad that the cashiers at Safeway are union and make really good wages but another part of me (the part that wants to use the quick check lane) doesn't like that at all.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

And since we're talking about checkout lane inefficiency, how about the people (the vast majority) who don't realize that they can swipe their credit cards while items are still being scanned? Instead they don't even pull out their wallets/purses until the very end.

You cannot swipe your card while items are being scanned in CVS... that causes an error and it ends up taking twice as long to straighten out the error and then finally be able to swipe the card. At many other stores, Safeway being among them, tell those stores to stop asking me "do I want to donate to xxxx cause?" and then after that asking me if I want cash back on my CREDIT card! Why in the world would I want cash back on a CREDIT card....not a debit card...a credit card. I HATE that in Safeway. Also, tell folks using debit cards to please not forget their pin. I think debit cards should be banned because they slow down checkout much more than someone writing a check. Plus, the stores that have readers that cause card error unless the card is swiped EXTREMELY SLOWLY (Safeway is one of them) should get better readers.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to JALevinworth

Most courtesy counters cannot ring you up if you have any item needing weighing. Since I shop healthy (perimeter of grocery stores only), I always have items that need weighing. In fact, that kind of item is probably all that I have. So, that option is out for me.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

Here, many folks go about 6-7AM. Night owls are looked upon askance as anyone not in bed asleep by 8PM must be up to no good and if they are not up and out doing their errands at the crack of dawn....well...the Mall shuts down at 8PM except Fri and Sat when it stays open till 9PM...except Sears shuts down at 8PM on those two nights and Sears shuts down at 7PM all other nights and Sunday at 6PM.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to scross

Your official opening was at 8AM? Here all the grocery stores open at 5AM! By 5:30AM, there are quite a few folks in them. The quiet times here are when I shop:7PM and later.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to r81984

Our Wal-Mart does not have self check. They did several years ago and those were so hated by customers that they removed them. We simply have about 20 checkout lanes and several of them are quick check lanes. "Quick check" does not mean lanes where folks can write checks to pay as you can do that in any lane in any store although not many do anymore. "Quick check" lanes are those that are "quick" to get through because they limit the number items to 10 or 5 maximum. But you can write a check in them if you want.

Self check at Safeway is always requiring intervention and there is only one clerk on it so it takes a lot longer than standing in the quick check lane (but in Safeway the quick check lanes are not open all hours as they are in other grocery stores). Besides, those self check lanes you can't use your rainchecks and I have NEVER shopped in Safeway where I did not have to get a bunch of rainchecks. You probably don't even know what a raincheck is....my mother had never heard of one but she lives on the Mainland. In Hawaii rainchecks are daily fact of life and everyone carries around a bunch of them for grocery stores, drugstores, target, etc.

Self check is not for small purchases as those are probably because you had to go back in the store a week, two weeks, three weeks, whatever later to get maybe one of your raincheck items and then go back the next day for another one. You get in the store and learn that the Thursday produce load was late to be delivered on the barge from Honolulu to Kona side of the island and so instead of being out in the store by 2PM (and you have to get there by 3PM otherwise it frequently be sold out) it won't be put out until about 8PM. So, you go back Friday afternoon and it is gone or you learn there it never arrived and you have to get a raincheck. Next produce load comes on Monday afternoon but when you get there Monday you learn the Big Island Safeways were shorted out because not enough came into Honolulu on the Friday before (barge takes three days from Honolulu) to Kona side and then a two hour drive to Hilo side. This is a regular weekly occurrence at Safeway for produce and any popular meat, bread, frozen food, etc that is on sale that week.

Then you want frozen petite peas that are on sale...well, there never are any when on sale so you get the raincheck. The Matson container load that has frozen food is unloaded on Friday nights and put out by Saturday afternoon so you have to go back again that Saturday just to get your frozen peas. So, lots of trips for one or two items and on rainchecks and you must stand in line for a cashier for those items. A lot of the rainchecks read something like Open Nature organic shoulder lamb chops at Safeway card club price of $5.99 per pound. So, Safeway gets some in finally...a month after you got the raincheck, you pick up a package at $7.99 per pound. You must take it to a cashier...not self check and the cashier has to spend time figuring out the difference between the current price and the raincheck price which is complicated by the fact it is a per pound price not per item price and then the computer won't accept it and a manager has to be called. This happens VERY FREQUENTLY in Safeway and the other stores also but they don't have a charade of having self check lanes that are worthless in Hawaii with all the rainchecks and couple that with buying healthy which means many items (if not all) will need weighing so no courtesy desk checkout...those self check lanes are dumb ...at least in Hawaii.
--

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

So Stop and Pee is still in business?

I've found that Safeway (Spaceway) has the slowest freaking checkers. They have to stop and chat. I've told them to keep checking and I'll freaking bag - there's a line behind me. Here they still use the belt that the shopper loads. The clerk unloads at KS.
That is faster since clerk can pull anything that needs to be weighed and do it all at once or leave all of it in the cart until last.

King Soopers (King Stupid's) is very much faster at checkout. Albertson's stores were always dirty.

I've found Target not too bad, but I won't do Wally World. We used to have a Cub/Grocery Warehouse, but those stores usually benefit those who buy in bulk.

I'll use self-check but that damn bagging requirement just pisses me off. I'm buying one small item - I don't NEED a bag.