Search similar:

uniqs
Expand your moderator at work

A non
@optonline.net

A non

Anon

Re: [Rant] Stop and Shop

I go to that Stop and Shop reluctantly, but it's adjacent to where I work, and I just walk next door. So it saves gasoline because I don't have to stop at a better store on the way home.

Unfortunately, I've had repeated problems at this Stop and Shop. I know it's not me, because I don't have those problems at the better supermarket near my home.

Useless trivia: This Stop and Shop was originally built as an Edwards store and had a large "Edwards" sign in front, but it never opened under that name.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to bitemeboy

Premium Member

to bitemeboy
That's it, just cause us more time because we have to go place items back that you in your wisdom left because "mommy they wont give me vip service" Plus confronting me would of been quite the site I would of laughed you out of the store and it would of been nice not ever seeing your face again, I've been in this industry to long. You're not understanding how these things work, you just believe you deserve "special" treatment.

I know I sound like an ass and all, but in the gist of this, we have so much going on, 1 person is not going to get special treatment because they want to throw a fit and act like a 2 year old.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Our Wal-Mart does not have self check. They did several years ago and those were so hated by customers that they removed them.

I really find this hard to believe as self checkout are extra lines open in addition to the regular registers.
So only those who like them or with few items used them when it was quicker than the regular registers.
If you did not like them no one forced you to use them.

I guess you live in an area where walmart was always out of stock so people were using rain checks constantly then I guess I could see how the self checkouts could be slow, but usually they have 1 worker for several self checkouts to handle those kind of things.
said by Mele20:

We simply have about 20 checkout lanes and several of them are quick check lanes. "Quick check" does not mean lanes where folks can write checks to pay as you can do that in any lane in any store although not many do anymore. "Quick check" lanes are those that are "quick" to get through because they limit the number items to 10 or 5 maximum. But you can write a check in them if you want.

Normally people call those the "10 items or less" lane.
said by Mele20:

Self check at Safeway is always requiring intervention and there is only one clerk on it so it takes a lot longer than standing in the quick check lane (but in Safeway the quick check lanes are not open all hours as they are in other grocery stores). Besides, those self check lanes you can't use your rainchecks and I have NEVER shopped in Safeway where I did not have to get a bunch of rainchecks. You probably don't even know what a raincheck is....my mother had never heard of one but she lives on the Mainland. In Hawaii rainchecks are daily fact of life and everyone carries around a bunch of them for grocery stores, drugstores, target, etc.

Self check is not for small purchases as those are probably because you had to go back in the store a week, two weeks, three weeks, whatever later to get maybe one of your raincheck items and then go back the next day for another one. You get in the store and learn that the Thursday produce load was late to be delivered on the barge from Honolulu to Kona side of the island and so instead of being out in the store by 2PM (and you have to get there by 3PM otherwise it frequently be sold out) it won't be put out until about 8PM. So, you go back Friday afternoon and it is gone or you learn there it never arrived and you have to get a raincheck. Next produce load comes on Monday afternoon but when you get there Monday you learn the Big Island Safeways were shorted out because not enough came into Honolulu on the Friday before (barge takes three days from Honolulu) to Kona side and then a two hour drive to Hilo side. This is a regular weekly occurrence at Safeway for produce and any popular meat, bread, frozen food, etc that is on sale that week.

Then you want frozen petite peas that are on sale...well, there never are any when on sale so you get the raincheck. The Matson container load that has frozen food is unloaded on Friday nights and put out by Saturday afternoon so you have to go back again that Saturday just to get your frozen peas. So, lots of trips for one or two items and on rainchecks and you must stand in line for a cashier for those items. A lot of the rainchecks read something like Open Nature organic shoulder lamb chops at Safeway card club price of $5.99 per pound. So, Safeway gets some in finally...a month after you got the raincheck, you pick up a package at $7.99 per pound. You must take it to a cashier...not self check and the cashier has to spend time figuring out the difference between the current price and the raincheck price which is complicated by the fact it is a per pound price not per item price and then the computer won't accept it and a manager has to be called. This happens VERY FREQUENTLY in Safeway and the other stores also but they don't have a charade of having self check lanes that are worthless in Hawaii with all the rainchecks and couple that with buying healthy which means many items (if not all) will need weighing so no courtesy desk checkout...those self check lanes are dumb ...at least in Hawaii.

I used to work at walgreens. I gave out rainchecks all the time on coupon items when we were out of stock.
I think everyone knows what a raincheck is.

I never had a problem at self checkout at safeway.
Sometimes even if i had a cart with like 10 bags worth, I will use self checkout as all 4 are empty and long lines at the registers. I can scan items faster than any of the cashiers working there. Also, I never had a error on their registers yet that required an intervention from an employee to fix, even with so many items and key in/weigh items.

As for self checkouts, in your situation it does not seem to be a self checkout problem. It is a Hawaii/stores never have enough stock problem.
Expand your moderator at work
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

2 edits

scross to Mele20

to Mele20

Re: [Rant] Stop and Shop

said by Mele20:

Your official opening was at 8AM? Here all the grocery stores open at 5AM! By 5:30AM, there are quite a few folks in them. The quiet times here are when I shop:7PM and later.

This was 30 years ago in the 'burbs, and it was a relatively high-end (read: overpriced and catering to higher-income clientele) grocery store, not your average Kroger or WalMart. A lot of the people shopping there were maids and housekeepers, buying for their employers. I was also fairly frequently sent on delivery and catering runs to various financial businesses downtown - which was a bit odd since there were plenty of other grocery stores situated much closer to them, but I guess these were considered "unworthy".

At the time, the only such business open 24 hours, or even keeping extended hours, would have been something like a 7-11. IIRC, the posted hours for our store were 8 AM - 9 PM, but I got there at 5:30 AM, and I know we often had stock people working there until the wee hours of the morning, so for all intents and purposes we could have had much longer operating hours. But at the time it was considered unconscionable to do much stocking and other work during official business hours with customers present, especially at that store. (Or for that matter to have displays that didn't look almost perfect at all times, which was one of my ongoing jobs during the day.) It wasn't until the warehouse-type stores came along that this became acceptable practice, and today it's very common.
scross

scross to carpetshark3

to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

I'll use self-check but that damn bagging requirement just pisses me off. I'm buying one small item - I don't NEED a bag.

You don't have to take a bag. You can always just set the item(s) on the bagging carousel, which is actually a weighing device; there is often an open spot in the center just for this purpose. Or push the "skip bagging" button, which is usually available but may require an attendant to double-check what you're doing.

My pet peeve is bags that won't open. If I try to open some in advance then that ticks off the machine, and if I take too long to open one and bag an item, then that ticks off the machine. So these days I might just sit things down on the carousel and bag them all at the end of my transaction (because who cares if I tick off the machine then?), or maybe I'll just skip bagging completely.
scross

scross to r81984

to r81984
Our local WalMart's had self-checkouts for a while (maybe a year), but then they disappeared. At first these were supposedly going to be replaced with a "new and improved" system, but when these never turned up I asked around and was told they wouldn't be coming, because "nobody liked" the self-check. As far remember the original worked as well as any other self-check, which is to say that it wasn't without its problems, but newer systems have tended to be less finicky.

My local Autozone briefly had a self-check kiosk. It supposedly took cash but that never worked, although the credit card scanner did. I got to use it maybe once before they took it away.

The key to beating the lines at my local Walgreen's is to checkout at the makeup counter (never busy); the second choice is the photo counter (rarely busy). I assume you could checkout at the pharmacy in the back, too. But the lines at the two cashiers are rarely long anyway, and the cashiers who work them tend to hustle.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth to A non

Anon

to A non
Fair enough. Sorry for being hard on you before.
said by A non :

Useless trivia: This Stop and Shop was originally built as an Edwards store and had a large "Edwards" sign in front, but it never opened under that name.

Yeah, they took over the Edwards chain. Mine actually was an Edwards for years before that, and even something else before. I still absent mindedly call it Edwards which amuses my kids to get to rip on ole Dad. On a similar note, my bank has changed hands so many times I'm never sure the name at all. Just the color, lol.

-Jim

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to scross

Premium Member

to scross
When I was living in Canada, their walmart has a one line for 4 register system.
You stood in the one line and the register number would flash on one of the 4 registers when they were ready for the next person. It was pretty damn efficient.
They still had normal register lines also.

The best thing for a company with the self checkouts is you could have 1 or 1/2 a person tied to multiple registers.
You get more throughput with less employee costs.
I remember when self checkout first came out at walmart and they always had errors. It seems they made their systems less sensitive over the years, but I no longer shop at walmart as their prices are mostly higher than other places except on a few key items.

As for the safeway self checkouts I use them all the time and never had a glitch or employee intervention yet. So their brand of self check out system works.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

So Stop and Pee is still in business?

I've found that Safeway (Spaceway) has the slowest freaking checkers. They have to stop and chat. I've told them to keep checking and I'll freaking bag - there's a line behind me. Here they still use the belt that the shopper loads. The clerk unloads at KS.
That is faster since clerk can pull anything that needs to be weighed and do it all at once or leave all of it in the cart until last.

I have never heard of a supermarket where they unload for you, Only have ever seen the normal unload onto the long belt yourself.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to A non

Premium Member

to A non
Out here at the King Soopers I use, you push the cart up to the checker, and he/she picks up item from the cart, scans it, then puts it on the belt to whoever is bagging.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
Yes I would laugh, but you must realize I've been in this industry almost 20 years now, so it's something I can say forsure I will and have done, now onto the point about the self checkout machines, did you know and I'm sure you might be able to figure this out too, but they only train certain cashiers to run the self checkout units, yeah I know they could go automated, I've told corp we're I worked for a long time they could go this route, but they will not, they want to make sure that only a certain amount of cashiers are trained for it and the other half would work the normal manual lines.

You're guess is good as mine why they only want to do this, I know it's a logistical issue and trust issue, you have to find the right type of cashier to monitor and run those, otherwise theft becomes an issue.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to scross

Premium Member

to scross
said by scross:

My local Autozone briefly had a self-check kiosk. It supposedly took cash but that never worked, although the credit card scanner did. I got to use it maybe once before they took it away.

Oh shoot don't get me started with Autozone.. the one here in Stamford, CT is piss poor.. I've seen countless people with just one item just walk out because you stand in line for like 5-8 min because you never have anyone working the register they are all doing the part look up thing.

Advance is not that much better.

I know a lot would love a self-check out.. me included.
scross
USA

scross

said by Subaru:

said by scross:

Oh shoot don't get me started with Autozone.. the one here in Stamford, CT is piss poor.. I've seen countless people with just one item just walk out because you stand in line for like 5-8 min because you never have anyone working the register they are all doing the part look up thing.

Advance is not that much better.

I know a lot would love a self-check out.. me included.

Yes, they can be problematic. Somewhere on here I have a rant about some of my last purchases there, which took something like 20 minutes to complete, when it should have taken only a couple. But ... I have two AZs within spitting distance of me, their only competitor nearest to me closed up shop, and their HQ is local and I know people who work there, plus I occasionally go there for user group meetings and such. So far I've held my tongue and given them the benefit of the doubt (they have been and continue to be a well-run organization, and quite profitable, too), but if this crap keeps up then I may have to give them a piece of my mind!

On the walking out thing: Not too long ago I was in an auto parts store (not AZ but a competitor, whose name I won't mention) and the line was long and moving very slowly, so one of the customers got fed up and just walked out - with the merchandise! He set off the shoplifting alarms and everything, but most of the employees pretended not to notice, and the one who did just said something like "Well, there goes another one!" Now I was shocked that the customer did this, and shocked at the employees' reaction (or lack thereof), but I guess I shouldn't have been because just a minute or so earlier someone else had done pretty much the same thing (they hadn't bothered waiting in line, though), and the employees had reacted pretty much the same way. Except for that one employee, who'd muttered a racial slur. Needless to say I won't be going back there anytime soon; needless to say they probably won't be in business too much longer; needless to say that part of town isn't what it used to be and is going downhill fast!
scross

scross to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

said by carpetshark3:

I've found that Safeway (Spaceway) has the slowest freaking checkers. They have to stop and chat. I've told them to keep checking and I'll freaking bag - there's a line behind me. Here they still use the belt that the shopper loads. The clerk unloads at KS.
That is faster since clerk can pull anything that needs to be weighed and do it all at once or leave all of it in the cart until last.

I have never heard of a supermarket where they unload for you, Only have ever seen the normal unload onto the long belt yourself.

This used to be standard practice back in the day, IIRC. My memory isn't so great these days, but I think Costco still does it; maybe Sam's; maybe Aldi's, too. And IIRC, Marshall's and Garden Ridge do the single line, multiple registers thing, which per queuing theory is a near-optimal way of doing it, so I'm a bit surprised that you don't see more of it. Then again, grocery stores and such make a lot of money off those impulse sales that are made while you are standing in line, so they probably have no motivation to change things.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to scross

Premium Member

to scross
Wow the Autozone in both locations (16 mi) from another operate the same slow way.. you have a bunch of joking around or a super long wait.. I would love to attend one of those meetings at the HQ..

And wow so that store just allowed them to walk right out.. that's crazy that's a hint that people wont deal with slow service
scross
USA

scross

Well, at my AutoZones the checkout is usually pretty fast. What takes time (and took a lot of time in my case) was their having to deal with a "new and improved" but very finicky computer system (I have much to say on that matter), plus their not knowing how to handle special orders, plus their not being able to find their own merchandise. In one case they searched and searched but never found what I needed (a small item), which the computer said was in stock, so their inventory count may have been screwed up. My special order item was expensive but very large and hard to miss, and after repeated visits from me and much searching, someone finally found it sitting in a trash bin or something! So either somebody got very sloppy and careless, or maybe somebody was trying to sneak it out the back door, neither of which would surprise me much these days.

On those walkouts: Most of the employees were white and/or older and/or female and/or small in stature, while many of the customers were none of these things. The two guys who I saw walk out with merchandise were both types that you wouldn't want to tangle with unless you had plenty of backup, so I can see their not wanting to confront them directly, but to just ignore them or shrug it off did surprise me. One of the employees (the one who commented on it) did take a few steps towards the door after the second guy walked out, but then he stopped himself and turned back. At many stores these days, following a shoplifter out like that will get you fired, unless maybe loss prevention is your main job.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to scross

Premium Member

to scross
You don't like taking a bag? You would hate living in Hawaii. There is a state wide plastic bag ban. It goes into effect on January 1, 2013 on the Big Island and later on the other islands. Everyone will have to remember to bring their own reusable bags or pay a fee at checkout for a paper bag.

The ban is also on retail stores so no more Sears or Macy's bags, but I think a plastic sack for carry out for take out meals is allowed.

Actually, it could be that tape will used in lieu of your reusable bag that you forgot if you don't want to pay the paper bag fee. But if tape is used at self check lanes it would have to be the cashier watching who would come over and slap the tape on the item.
Mele20

Mele20 to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

I really find this hard to believe as self checkout are extra lines open in addition to the regular registers.
So only those who like them or with few items used them when it was quicker than the regular registers.
If you did not like them no one forced you to use them.

I guess you live in an area where walmart was always out of stock so people were using rain checks constantly then I guess I could see how the self checkouts could be slow, but usually they have 1 worker for several self checkouts to handle those kind of things.

Normally people call those the "10 items or less" lane.

I used to work at walgreens. I gave out rainchecks all the time on coupon items when we were out of stock.
I think everyone knows what a raincheck is.

I never had a problem at self checkout at safeway.
Sometimes even if i had a cart with like 10 bags worth, I will use self checkout as all 4 are empty and long lines at the registers. I can scan items faster than any of the cashiers working there. Also, I never had a error on their registers yet that required an intervention from an employee to fix, even with so many items and key in/weigh items.

As for self checkouts, in your situation it does not seem to be a self checkout problem. It is a Hawaii/stores never have enough stock problem.

Wal-Mart tried to force people to use them just as K-Mart did on the other side of the island. They went over ok at K-Mart but not at Wal-Mart.

You live in Hawaii, you acquire the local lingo usually..."10 items or less lane" is a mouthful..."quick check lane" is easier to say. However, I still call the thing I push around and put items in a "cart" but here it called a "wagon" never a cart.

Yes, the stores are perpetually understocked or if fully stocked understocked quickly again. It is difficult to predict, even for sale items, how much the store should order and since most things come via ship container (three weeks) to Oahu and then to the neighbor islands via barge that takes several more days...it is a frustrating situation for both customer and store. I went in Safeway about 3:30PM today to get Rainer cherries on sale and black plums on sale. They were out of both so I had to get rainchecks. Yet, this Safeway when it opened a little over a year ago was the flagship store for the entire Safeway chain. The Safeway CEO at the grand opening ceremonies said that the computerized ordering and tracking system (as well as the lighting system) was state of the art and superior to all other Safeway stores anywhere and that the Hilo store would no longer experience so many and so often out of stock problems. Hmpf. The store is absolutely gorgeous and absolutely gigantic and the lighting is very sophisticatedbut I don't like it because I don't like shopping in a cave, but others do, but we still have the terrible and very frequent out of stock problems for all catergories of items...but frozen, meats and produce are the worst. Plus, they have no way to know what exactly is on the next expected container load so they can't give any idea when the item will be stocked again (all the stores are like this).

I also returned some organic yogurt (big container) that I opened earlier today to find was very thin and runny. I had to stand at the courtesy desk for almost 20 minutes. The clerk was trying to figure out how to let the man she was helping when I walked up return something that he had two coupons he used for and he needed the return on his electronic food stamps card. It took three managers to finally figure out how to get this sort of unusual (because of the coupons I think) return processed correctly. There are two other terminals at the courtesy desk but no one at them. Finally, someone walked to the second terminal and asked me if I needed help. I explained and he looked at the yogurt and said "ugh...I see what you mean". Then instead of processing my return...he points at the clerk with the managers hovering about still trying to get the man's return processed and said "she'll help you" and he walked off! I had to wait another five minutes before she was able to help me.

I would not have had to wait anywhere near that long in other stores. Safeway courtesy desk is mediocre at best. But the store is gorgeous and there's a Starbucks in it and free wi-fi so it attracts crowds.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Everyone will have to remember to bring their own reusable bags or pay a fee at checkout for a paper bag.

That's stupid. My supermarket provides paper bags made of 100% recycled paper with handles for FREE. See:
»www.durobag.com/Standard ··· =13&f=10
scross
USA

scross to Mele20

to Mele20
I get the "we don't know when the next shipment is coming in, or even what will be on the truck" a lot here on the mainland, too. From an information perspective, in this day and age I simply find this to be unconscionable, but there very well may be valid business reasons for keeping people in the dark (potential theft issues and so on) - even their own employees.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to A non

Premium Member

to A non
said by A non :

The courtesy desk was empty, as in not staffed, unoccupied, vacant. And it wasn't off hours, it was 8 AM.

That's off hours.
PX Eliezer704

PX Eliezer704 to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
said by thegeek:

said by bitemeboy:

"See this face, you'll never see it in here again"

And the store manager will be glad that you will never shop there again. As a former business owner I would have been glad to lose a customer with such an attitude. IT'S STANDING IN A FUCKING LINE FOR A FEW MINUTES. It's not like the cashier stole from you and assaulted you. It's not the end of the world. People who overreact like that are a liability and potentially harmful for the business.

1+

bitemeboy
join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

bitemeboy

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by thegeek:

said by bitemeboy:

And the store manager will be glad that you will never shop there again. As a former business owner I would have been glad to lose a customer with such an attitude. IT'S STANDING IN A FUCKING LINE FOR A FEW MINUTES. It's not like the cashier stole from you and assaulted you. It's not the end of the world. People who overreact like that are a liability and potentially harmful for the business.

1+

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

King Soopers (King Stupid's) is very much faster at checkout. Albertson's stores were always dirty.

I've found Target not too bad, but I won't do Wally World. We used to have a Cub/Grocery Warehouse, but those stores usually benefit those who buy in bulk.

I'll use self-check but that damn bagging requirement just pisses me off. I'm buying one small item - I don't NEED a bag.

I think management forces the cashiers to stop and try to chit chat as they do that at my store also.
The are also very slow.
The best worker at my safeway is a guy that some people would call "mentally challenged", but he is the quickest, most knowledge worker in the store and does not mess around.
He can fix any register glitch and scan and bag 2 to 3 carts in the time it takes everyone else to do 1. He makes everyone else seem retarded, lol.
If I had a store I would want this guy as my cashier.

Anyways the self checkouts at safeway work without those glitch problems, so sometimes when lines are long and self checkouts are empty I will go there and bag a pile of 10+ bags on the scale and be out before one cashier is even done with one customer.

Safeway seems to tolerate slow cashiers and make them waste time by pausing and chit chatting even when the line is 5 carts long or more.

The slow cashier problem is everywhere, not just specific stores. I think most people are underqualified to be cashiers, but since the pay is lower companies hire who they can get.

bitemeboy
join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

1 edit

bitemeboy to Anon

to Anon
said by thegeek:

said by bitemeboy:

And the store manager will be glad that you will never shop there again. As a former business owner I would have been glad to lose a customer with such an attitude. IT'S STANDING IN A FUCKING LINE FOR A FEW MINUTES. It's not like the cashier stole from you and assaulted you. It's not the end of the world. People who overreact like that are a liability and potentially harmful for the business. Let me guess, you're also the type of person who chases down and accosts someone who accidentally cuts you off in traffic? It's the same "Me, me, me, I'm most important" attitude and it's people like that who make the entire situation harder for everyone.

If you don't want to stand in line, then fine, don't. By all means return your items to the shelf, or at least place your items on a nearby empty register and say to the cashier that you don't have the time to stand in line at the moment. But getting the manager and throwing a fit about it only causes slow downs for other people and gives everyone a good laugh at your expense because you are acting like a child.

Obviously you were never trained in the fine art of customer relations! A quote from your own industry standards.

"It is important for a grocery store manager to have excellent communication and customer service skills. When a customer has a concern or question that cannot be addressed by a clerk, the manager typically steps in to provide assistance. He or she takes special orders, offers suggestions about different products, and apologizes should a customer have a negative experience in the store. By maintaining a friendly, helpful attitude, a successful manager can help ensure repeat business."

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
said by KrK:

"Put that down, we've got to go. That's THEIR JOB to clean that up."

SAVE AMERICAN JOBS

don't clean the table
don't pick up garbage
don't return shopping carts
don't pump your own gas
valet park.
scross
USA

scross

said by AVD:

said by KrK:

"Put that down, we've got to go. That's THEIR JOB to clean that up."

SAVE AMERICAN JOBS

don't clean the table
don't pick up garbage
don't return shopping carts
don't pump your own gas
valet park.

Oh no, here I have been complaining about the sorry state of the economy and it turns out that I'm to blame in large measure! I DO clean the table, I DO pick up garbage, I DO return shopping carts, I DO pump my own gas, and I DON'T valet park! And I make sure that my wife and daughter do the same, for the most part. Now I must hang my head in shame!

But I guess that explains what happens almost every time we go to the movie theater - which is less and less these days, given the ridiculous ticket prices. As a matter of personal responsibility and teaching her to clean up after herself, I've taught my daughter from day one to always take out her own trash at the movie theater, while the attendants almost always insist that we don't have to do that, and that they will take care of it for us.

About cashiers: I was checking out at Lowe's recently when the young woman behind the register (a college student, most likely) told me that she didn't know how to make change, so I had to tell her the correct amount and help her count it out. This is especially sad if the register TOLD her how much change to give me, but I didn't notice. And about registers: EVERY register should show the correct amount of change to give (many still don't, as I've noticed), and ANY glitches should be tracked down and corrected post-haste. There's just no excuse these days for some of the glitches that I still see on occasion.

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non to A non

Anon

to A non
So I walked to Stop and Shop again at 7:15 AM today (not going to wait until later since it's supposed to be 100 degrees today). Still only 2 lanes open and all self-service lanes were closed. But one lane was empty, so I purchased my items with no problems this time.

Customer Service desk was empty, with about 5 "closed" signs on it.

Stop and Shop replied to my complaint after 4 days, saying I should call them. If I wanted to call them I would have done so in the first place. Maybe they should learn how to use email.