Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

2 recommendations

thegeek to A non

Premium Member

to A non

Re: [Rant] Stop and Shop

Only one person in line at each check out? No need to open a new lane. The world doesn't revolve around you. Businesses plan the number of cashiers open at one time based on the demand level that will maximize profit. Meaning it's not worth it to have an extra cashier for only one extra shopper wanting to check out. That extra cashier is better utilized facing shelves or doing other duties.

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non

Anon

So I should stand there waiting for 10 minutes while the 8 self-service lanes are closed for no good reason.
Expand your moderator at work

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to A non

MVM

to A non

As noted - they were closed for a good reason...

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non to Anon

Anon

to Anon
said by thegeek:

As I said you are not that important.

Then I guess Stop and Shop doesn't need my money.
said by thegeek:

Self service lanes typically require an attendant for when you have issues or to monitor you to make sure you are not stealing.

I would note that the same attendant would be needed to make sure I didn't just walk out without paying anything. So that same person could look after a self-service lane or two.

But if Stop and Shop doesn't want my money, and is willing to see negative comments posted about their stores on teh Interwebz, so be it. I gotta start using Twitter.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to A non

MVM

to A non

"I would note that the same attendant would be needed to make sure I didn't just walk out without paying anything. "

No - the attendants at the 2 lanes would patrol their lanes and not not be able to police\help the self-service machines. No place I have EVER used that has self service relied on the same person as a regular lane for self-checkout patrol. Won't be done and neither will the reverse.

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non

Anon

So who is watching the other 20 unused lanes to make sure I didn't walk out without paying?

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

1 recommendation

mettachain

said by A non :

So who is watching the other 20 unused lanes to make sure I didn't walk out without paying?

Big Brother

A non
@optonline.net

A non to Anon

Anon

to Anon

How would you feel if you went to a gas station, and all the pumps were closed except for one and you had to wait in line to use the only open pump? This is the same thing. It has nothing to do with being self-centered and everything to do with providing sucky customer service (which is typical for that Stop and Shop).
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

1 recommendation

moes

Premium Member

let me jump in on this one real quick since I worked at stations for years.

if we've only got 1 island open it's mostly because either we've had a hardware failure on a control or we are having to do everything manually, It has nothing to do with sucky customer service, we're not all versed in repairing or fixing gas pumps or controllers for the pumps and before you say "why did you just not replace it" I've never seen that equipment unlocked or opened by anybody BUT the people who do the work, so just stop trying to do this entitlement bullshit, it's not ever going to pay off. in the end you look like a dick.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

1 recommendation

CylonRed to A non

MVM

to A non
I have been to several gas stations where a couple pumps did nto work and people had to wait - it is also NOTHING like your example. A store can't\won't provide instant one on one lane openings - it just does not make financial sense.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to moes

to moes
Vote with your wallet.

Go down the road to Shop Rite in Bloomfield and deal with the crowds and crummy store layout. Or Acme in Clifton by Home Depot.

My Dad does the same thing - complains about the Brookdale Shop Rite. I remind him to go elsewhere yet he still complains....

vircotto
Premium Member
join:2002-06-04
searching...

vircotto to A non

Premium Member

to A non
said by A non :

Then I guess Stop and Shop doesn't need my money.

Why is this such a difficult concept to understand?

I stopped shopping at my local Safeway for the same reason. Because of my work schedule, I would shop for groceries around 8 pm. It seemed that almost every time I went in the store they would have several full-service lanes open and their self-serve lanes open. But when I finished shopping, often with only a few items in my cart, I found that the self-serve lanes were closed and all but one or two of the full-service lanes were closed, with long lines of shoppers waiting to check out. Not just once or twice, but most of the time. So I now shop elsewhere.
said by r81984:

The OP has a valid rant.
Everyone here pretending like it is no big deal the self checkouts were closed will be the first to get frustrated if they were in the same situation.

You're absolutely right. The OP has every right to feel frustrated and rant here. We (or at least I) get frustrated, too. Do I get frustrated when I'm just about to enter the barber shop and a family with a half dozen kids gets to the door before me? Sure! Do I get frustrated by heavy traffic and long red lights? Sure! Etc. Life is full of these moments.

I don't think people are responding to that, but rather to the notion that every store has an obligation to ensure that everyone is first (or nearly so) in line. If a store doesn't provide the level of service you want, by all means go elsewhere. Not every store owner wants your money at any cost.