spc
uniqs

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to A non

to A non

Re: [Rant] Stop and Shop

I don't know about that shop but usually self services lane require one cashier to look at them.

Since not everyone likes using them, they probably felt it would be more efficient to have 2 standard lane open instead of the self service lane.

Anyway, waiting 10 minutes is not that bad... I've waited longer, and if there were only one perso at each lane, it doesn't take 10 minutes even with a full cart.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

ctggzg

Premium Member

said by PatPatate:

Since not everyone likes using them, they probably felt it would be more efficient to have 2 standard lane open instead of the self service lane.

That's the problem. Most people are clueless and take at least twice as long checking themselves out as a cashier would. I probably would have done the same thing as the poster -- not that the store was doing anything "wrong", but that it's not worth my time. It's incredible how much time and money is wasted standing in various lines when appointments or other mechanisms could make things dramatically more efficient.

And since we're talking about checkout lane inefficiency, how about the people (the vast majority) who don't realize that they can swipe their credit cards while items are still being scanned? Instead they don't even pull out their wallets/purses until the very end.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by ctggzg:

And since we're talking about checkout lane inefficiency, how about the people (the vast majority) who don't realize that they can swipe their credit cards while items are still being scanned? Instead they don't even pull out their wallets/purses until the very end.

You cannot swipe your card while items are being scanned in CVS... that causes an error and it ends up taking twice as long to straighten out the error and then finally be able to swipe the card. At many other stores, Safeway being among them, tell those stores to stop asking me "do I want to donate to xxxx cause?" and then after that asking me if I want cash back on my CREDIT card! Why in the world would I want cash back on a CREDIT card....not a debit card...a credit card. I HATE that in Safeway. Also, tell folks using debit cards to please not forget their pin. I think debit cards should be banned because they slow down checkout much more than someone writing a check. Plus, the stores that have readers that cause card error unless the card is swiped EXTREMELY SLOWLY (Safeway is one of them) should get better readers.