how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thekAk

join:2010-01-08
USA

[WHS] Setting up a Home Server

As stated in the subject line, I'm setting up a home server for the first time. After doing some research and talking to a few friends, I've decided WHS is the way to go for me, but I don't want WHS 2011 due to the lack of drive pooling.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a copy of WHS 2003? I don't even know if its something that can still be purchased.

I tried messing around with Ubuntu Server (since it was free), but a command line OS is not for me. I don't have time to become a Server expert. I want something simple and user-friendly to act as a music/video/picture server that also has some form of redundancy and drive pooling. I'm open to suggestions for other OS solutions.

Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
FWIW, "2003" is not part of its name. It's just "Windows Home Server", though retrospectively it gets called "V1".

I did a quick bit of googling, and didn't find any credible-looking online seller. But I didn't spend long on the exercise, so maybe you'll have more luck.

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6
reply to thekAk
I love my Windows Home Server.

I did a little digging and found the older version from what appeared to be a reputable seller at Amazon (WHS).

Although I've not yet had the opportunity to run the newer version, there are third party add-ons available to add the drive pooling feature.
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to thekAk
FYI Microsoft has just discontinued WHS.
Windows Home Server discontinued - Spiceworks
»community.spiceworks.com/topic/2···ontinued
Amahi Home Server might be a good alternative ...

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to thekAk
One thing I dislike about WHS V1 / PP3 is that it doesn't support 2.5GB / 3GB and larger HDDs. I don't like that MS removed Drive Extender from WHS 2011 or that the WHS initiative has ended so there will be no new versions of WHS.

You might want to take a look at this:

Building a Windows 8 Home Server: Why and What?

praetoralpha

join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA
said by Octavean:

One thing I dislike about WHS V1 / PP3 is that it doesn't support 2.5GB / 3GB and larger HDDs.

Better look elsewhere then. You can't get drives that small anymore.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
said by praetoralpha:

said by Octavean:

One thing I dislike about WHS V1 / PP3 is that it doesn't support 2.5GB / 3GB and larger HDDs.

Better look elsewhere then. You can't get drives that small anymore.

LOL,...I intended to say 2.5TB / 3.0TB and bigger,......

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
reply to thekAk
Newegg has it for 50 dollars, sweet
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···32416443

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
That's the 2011 version, aka V2. The OP specifically wants V1.

Razzy

join:2012-06-21
reply to Octavean
Can't create spanned volume on WHS?

I haven't even used WHS before.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
said by Razzy:

Can't create spanned volume on WHS?

If by "spanned volume" you mean drive pooling then yes you can in WHS v1 (the originnal WHS) out of the box, but you can't without an add-on for WHS 2011 (aka WHS v2).

You can do drive pooling in W8 which is why there are a couple of interesting posts about using W8 as a replacement for WHS (either version).