2 edits

[hard drive]Need repair Master Boot Record on Data drive

Click for full size
Disk Management
Laptop drive
Hitachi 7K200-160 7200 RPM 160GB
Model HTS722016K9A300
Physical hard drive.

This drive was the secondary data drive from a dual-drive notebook that had a motherboard failure. Prior to the motherboard failure, the drive worked fine. It's formatted for data only, there's no OS installed.

I removed the drive and put it into an external enclosure.

• When I attach this drive to a computer via USB, the computer does not recognize the drive. Windows Explorer doesn't display a new drive after attaching it via USB.
• The light on the enclosure lights up and you can feel the drive spinning inside.
• The Windows 7 Systray displays the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon when the drive is attached.
• In Disk Management, the faulty Hitachi external drive appears as "Disk 2" Dynamic, Invalid. (When removed from USB that Disk 2 does not appear.)
• In Disk Management Properties, General: NSI External USB Device; Device type: Disk drives; Manufacturer: (Standard disk drives); Location: on USB Mass Storage Device; Device Status: "the device is working properly." Volumes: Disk: Disk 2, Type: Dynamic, Status: Invalid; Partition Style: Master Boot Record (MBR); Capacity: 0 MB; Unallocated space: 0 MB; Reserved space: 0 MB.

I did a Search Online for Updated Driver; it said driver is up to date.

I have not attempted to use "Convert to Basic Disk" or "Reactivate Disk" in Disk Management (I'm thinking: "first, do no harm").

I would like to use this as a data drive and recover the data on it.

Is there a repair process or utility to perhaps repair the boot record on the drive?
--
YOU can help reduce poverty, sustainably.
»www.kiva.org/lender/kenandart

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
TestDisk will do many things- like restore the partition table anbd rebuild the MBR among many other things. Do NOT convert in any way....
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TestDisk

»www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

I would check out several things and if you have it try and find the partitions it will allow you to see files it sees BEFORE you do anything. It has been awhile since I have used it - be very cautious with it....
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
Thank you. TestDrive does see the drive and the partitions on it. Now I have to figure out how the codes work.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Reviews:
·OTT Communications
·Shoreham Telephone
reply to CylonRed
Click for full size
TestDisk 1
Click for full size
TestDisk 2
Click for full size
TestDisk 3
Three screngrabs from TestDisk.

1: Shows the list of drives. The 2nd one is the external drive...correctly sized at 160GB (followed by 149 GB, which is probably the space used up on the HD, but not sure)

2: After "Analyse:" Shows current partition structure.

3: After "Quick Search:" (it took about 10 mins to go through and check the drive) Shows several things.
It displays Correct size 160GB. Then says the size "seems too small"

Then that that "the following partitions can't be recovered"

listing 3 partitions. The first one, volume name "Discovery" is the name I gave to the partition.

If I recall correctly, there were 2 large partitions on the drive and that they were linked together under the single drive letter "D:" in the Windows. I believe the root of the drive existed on the "2nd" partition (the one that appeared to the right side of Disk Management diagrams) and that the extended part of the drive was the on the left side of Disk Management....it all worked. (I'm using the same system drive in the new computer that was in the old computer...so the same windows 7 installation is trying to recognize this data drive, only as an external, rather than as a 2nd internal hd).

Ideas?
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

It actually says "160 GB / 149 GiB". This means the program was written by someone who is adamant that "1 gigabyte" means 1 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 and not 1 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to koam
»technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr···026.aspx My inclination is to say you should reactivate the disk. I don't know why you might have formatted in dynamic disk, but that is rarely a good thing to do. Good luck and I make no guarantees.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Reviews:
·OTT Communications
·Shoreham Telephone
I don't know why it's Dynamic either. I tried "reactivate" but it says it cannot do that.

I googled "Dynamic Disk Invalid" and found 2 possible solutions quickly:

»windows7forums.com/windows-7-sup···lid.html

»www.articlesbase.com/operating-s···239.html

The first requires using a Hex Editor. The second claims to be easier than the first using a utility.
--

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to koam
Get a Linux Live CD or DVD and see if the drive can be read from that.
If so, copy all the data to another drive/location different from the affected drive.
Once you have done this, then you can do whatever is needed to either redo your partitions or create something different.
Good Luck.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Reviews:
·OTT Communications
·Shoreham Telephone
reply to koam
The second solution didn't work. It wouldn't convert dynamic to basic on this disk.

It says: "The following dynamic volume on this disk cannot be converted:

D:, Simple

If you want to convert this disk, you need to move the above volume to other disks or remove them from this disk. The program can only handle Simple Volume and Mirrored Volume."

So I guess it's on to the Hex Editor...
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Try Transit Mans suggestion first - it is guaranteed to be non-damaging and it is easy to do....

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to koam
Can you hook this disk up directly without messing with USB enclosures? Just to eliminate that as a source of problems.

It doesn't have to fit inside the case - you just need to be able to get power and data cables from computer to disk. Parts laying around on the bench is fine.