Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NHHD99

join:2009-10-17
Hampton, NH
reply to NHHD99

Re: Xfinity with TiVo Premiere XL4

The article in the Boston Globe leaves out the main advantage to the Premiere XL-4 in that it allows you to record 4 shows at once, which is a big advantage to anyone who has juggled what shows to record and when. The thing is just so expensive $350+ on most websites, it's really too bad that it wasn't a little less expensive.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA

said by NHHD99:

The thing is just so expensive $350+ on most websites, it's really too bad that it wasn't a little less expensive.

I bought my first VHS recorder in 1981. $800. With inflation, that's nearly $1900 in today's dollars. I was a college student with more money than brains it would seem.
I just bought the XL4, $750 including lifetime service.

It's interesting to see how we'd value a product. The dual tuner goes for 50-100, or about $450-$500 with service (assuming an upgrade, current owners can get lifetime for $400.)
The benefit of twice the tuners with no extra outlet fee and cheaper than two machines, seems a bargain to me.

By the way, the other interesting feature is if you have two Premieres, you can watch from the other box, streaming, and delete at the end of the show. (Or delete remote box as you wish.) I find this a useful feature.

To your point, I wonder if $299 is a tipping point that gets more attention, any higher price looking a bit high?

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5
reply to NHHD99

said by NHHD99:

The article in the Boston Globe leaves out the main advantage to the Premiere XL-4 in that it allows you to record 4 shows at once, which is a big advantage to anyone who has juggled what shows to record and when. The thing is just so expensive $350+ on most websites, it's really too bad that it wasn't a little less expensive.

Looks like you may have just got your wish - there is an item on the Zatz Not Funny blog site today about TiVo getting ready to release a new "Premiere 4" (no "XL") model that has 4 tuners like the XL4, but only a 500GB hard drive (like the "Premiere 2" two-tuner model), and that is rumored to be priced at only $250:

TiVo Preps New Four Tuner Premiere 4
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - August 8, 2012
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-08/new···miere-4/

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

The new TiVo "Premiere 4" four-tuner model was officially announced today:
»pr.tivo.com/press-releases/tivo-···-0920347

The Premiere 4 page on TiVo's site: »www3.tivo.com/store/premiere-4.do

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

said by telcodad:

»pr.tivo.com/press-releases/tivo-···-0920347

The Premiere 4 page on TiVo's site: »www3.tivo.com/store/premiere-4.do

It just a renamed Elite with a smaller hard drive.
--
Caddy

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

said by Caddyroger:

said by telcodad:

It just a renamed Elite with a smaller hard drive.

Yes, the old "Premiere Elite" model was renamed the "Premiere XL4" (»support.tivo.com/app/answers/det···_id/2295).

This new "Premiere 4" (without the "XL" suffix) model has 4 tuners like the XL4, but only 500GB of recording capacity (vs. 2TB), so it can sell for the reduced price of $250 (vs. $400) for those people who mostly just timeshift and don't save many programs long-term on their DVRs.

EDIT: Looking at the specs comparision page on the Premiere models -»www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premi···ecs.html - the "Premiere 4" also cuts costs by coming with only a "standard remote" (vs. a "Glo Premium backlit remote") and not being "THX Certified" (and supplied with "THX optimizer glasses") like the XL4.