join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG to Pooper3

Premium Member

to Pooper3

Re: Comcast downgraded/slowed my connection down

said by Pooper3:

Also is there a way for me to confirm which config file I have on my modem? The status page doesn't appear to show any such information.

Thanks!

When that modem first came out with an earlier version of firmware, the name of the config file used to show up among the error log entries. A newer version of firmware came along with which you had to reset the modem to factory defaults and then restart it and only then would it get displayed in the log. I believe that the latest version of firmware pushed to these modems by CC has it completely disabled now.
Pooper3
join:2012-07-11
Tucson, AZ

1 edit

Pooper3

Thanks for the info guys; I posted a message in the Comcast Direct forum as advised.

So basically before someone could actually know if they were configured to get the package they pay for; now you just have to take Comcast's word for it? Interesting — Apparently they've never heard the old adage "If you've got nothing to hide, then why hide it?". This just keeps getting better and better.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Yeah, crazy ain't it? I suppose they do this so every joe friday can't go poking around in the settings. Great idea for the every day user, but sucks for techies who like to know everything. Even provided useful info on our end.

And remember, once you get your issues solved, Comcast is pretty good...when it works.

Be sure to come back and let us know how things go after you hear from Steve.
Pooper3
join:2012-07-11
Tucson, AZ

Pooper3

It's dishonorable is what it is, and negates any type of trust I might have had with Comcast before this happened. It reminds me of when I went to get my oil and filter changed once, and instead they just topped of the oil and wiped off the filter. Sure there are many people that wouldn't notice, and maybe my Comcast issue is not intentional; three weeks with no resolution is not exactly reassuring though.

How long does it take for Comcast Steve to reply? Thanks again.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Heh. I know. I've heard horror stories about Comcast and have had my own issues with them in the past. But the most recent ones were solved with Steve's quick help. And as for his reply, it depends on when you get him. It could be a few minutes, hours or even the next day. But he does respond. And as the rules say, don't bump your own post if no reply has appeared yet, it could delay response time.

And as for your problem lasting 3 weeks, I'd have said come here and post your issue sooner for a quicker resolution, but seeing your join date, I'd say that wasn't possible. How long did you lurk before you joined and posted your problem?
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to Pooper3

to Pooper3
How is it dishonorable? Blast in most areas is 20-30mbps, with best effort to provide higher speed for a short period of time/smaller download.

You appear to have been receiving significantly more than you were paying for and are unhappy that Comcast finally realized it and made the appropriate changes.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

The issue is, sure, while he may have been receiving higher speeds for whatever reason, he can't get what he's paying for now. Any judgment or critique about the situation should be reserved until after he returns with what Comcast Steve says about his situation and fixes it.