Search similar:

uniqs
wheelbarrow
join:2010-01-06
USA

2 recommendations

wheelbarrow

Time to claim my reward

Hey TWC, I heard that Google Fiber is faster than anything you could ever dream of offering. Where's my $50?
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

But their little ad specifically asks for tips, rumors, and rumblings. What you state is a known fact, so you get NOTHING!
wheelbarrow
USA

wheelbarrow

True. But it could be taken as a tip.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

Crookshanks to wheelbarrow

to wheelbarrow
said by wheelbarrow:

Hey TWC, I heard that Google Fiber is faster than anything you could ever dream of offering.

Most people don't care. Once you get past 10mbit/s it's really window dressing for the vast majority of users. Hell, a decent majority wouldn't even notice anything greater than 3mbit/s to 5mbit/s.
wheelbarrow
USA

wheelbarrow

Businesses will benefit the most. In addition, I would say that it's not all about the speed, but more about the price. Google will really push ISPs in the area to adjust.
Crookshanks
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

A valid point on businesses, though I'm skeptical that you'll see any meaningful cost reduction.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
BS!
Crookshanks
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

How insightful, did you have to do a lot of research to come up with that detailed response? 8-)

Name one thing that the typical broadband consumer does where they will notice speeds exceeding 10mbit/s. That's enough bandwidth for multiple SD video streams and two HD ones (depending on video codecs of course).

I couldn't even manage to peg my 10mbit/s Verizon DSL connection from most download sites -- the only real way to peg it was with well-seeded torrents and a handful of mirror sites/CDNs that could deliver that much bandwidth.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
What cable company offers 10mb/s upload?
Wilsdom

Wilsdom to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
Uh, downloading files? Even software updates or pdfs can have a noticeable delay at only 10mb/s. Sure people can wait a minute, even though each second is a second closer to death . But what about the future? The "new HD," 4k resolution, will require 20mb/s to stream.
Wilsdom

Wilsdom to wheelbarrow

to wheelbarrow
TWC is capable of installing fiber since that is what all the important parts of their network is made of, they just don't think customers are important enough to get it to their houses.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

What cable company offers 10mb/s upload?

Cablevision offers 8 up on the boost plus package and 15 up on the ultra package.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to Wilsdom

Premium Member

to Wilsdom
Comcast Extreme 105 is 105 down/10 up and Comcast Extreme 50 is 50 down/10 up. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co ··· Internet

moonpie
@cableone.net

moonpie to Crookshanks

Anon

to Crookshanks
Yeah try telling that to a family, especially one with several xbox live games going. 5 mbps may work, but any upgrade would be noticeable.

mp81
@rr.com

mp81 to Crookshanks

Anon

to Crookshanks
one word: USENET

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to wheelbarrow

to wheelbarrow
said by wheelbarrow:

Hey TWC, I heard that Google Fiber is faster than anything you could ever dream of offering. Where's my $50?

No the info they need is like... where can we "accidently" cut it to bring down the whole thing

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20 to mp81

to mp81
Stop breaking the ONLY rule

gregv
@myvzw.com

gregv to wheelbarrow

Anon

to wheelbarrow
Wheelbarrow said it best. TWC should be paying it's customers the $50 for them to stay.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

Most people don't care. Once you get past 10mbit/s it's really window dressing for the vast majority of users. Hell, a decent majority wouldn't even notice anything greater than 3mbit/s to 5mbit/s.

That's exactly right. A few years ago, I saw a statisctic that said the average consumer coudn't notice a difference in speed while surfing the web once they got above 1.2 megabits. Granted video streaming and other applications have pushed that up, but it really hasn't changed much for just typical surfing. I would say that barring huge file downloads (which the average consumer doesn't do on a regular basis, if ever) that somewhere between 3 to 5 megs is the limit that most consumers can utilize. A small percentage can consume up to 10 megs, but above that you're looking at a very very small number of users.

Now, before anyone responds with the typical stupid replie of "but I download 756 gigs last month". I don't care. We both know that you aren't the average consumer.

itcrack
@kumc.edu

itcrack to Wilsdom

Anon

to Wilsdom
I have Surewest fiber to my house in Olathe, I have 50mbps up and down.