Click for full size
Audio at WJBF
Click for full size
WJBF/WAGT
Click for full size
Video by my partner Jan Tholenaar
Click for full size
Jan Tholenaar
Hi....New here. Just thought I would post some picks to break the ice............Comments welcome................Thanks

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..
Now that is a LOT of coax! CMTS?

I'm not normally a fan of zipties, but those appear to have been done properly (not so tight they're crushing the cable)

Nice work!
--
Boone County Scanner Feed:
»boone.mo.scanamerica.us/

"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to andymercado
Now that is nice! ADC punch blocks for all the audio...
Video looks good too!

andymercado

join:2012-07-12
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

reply to alphapointe
Thanks for the positive response. The zip ties were only used on audio and video cables. Red and black velcro straps were used on the network cables....(cat6)

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
reply to andymercado
Audio and video equipment, very nice. Purple coax is usually a sign of the company TV Magic...did they do the install?
--
This Space for Rent...

andymercado

Hollywood, FL
Click for full size
Router by Jan
Click for full size
Master Control WJBF/WAGT
Click for full size
RF
Click for full size
Control Room A WJBF
No Sir......The install was done at WJBF/WAGT in Augusta Georgia by my partner and I (Conntech Inc.) for PCS who is owned by Media General. We did the whole TV station from the ground up. With a crew of seven.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to andymercado
If youre ever in NYC, do the NBC studio tour. You get some tiny glimpses of cabling, but damn it looks nice, just like the OPs photos.

Would have taken photos, but yeah, they are really particular about banning cameras there...

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to andymercado
Those splitters are just crazy.

andymercado

Hollywood, FL
reply to andymercado
Click for full size
Yes they were. Considering I had 5 hours to get everything dressed and running. They fed 120 monitors.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to andymercado
Wow...that splitter pic is impressive!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
It does look like some larger splitters could cut down the number needed.

Cashcon

@bellatlantic.com
reply to andymercado
KUDOS to your equipment installers! Nice variety of color.

andymercado

Hollywood, FL
reply to DarkLogix
We did have 4 and 5 output splitters in but when we did our testing the db's were not where they should have been. So the engineer redesigned it....

andymercado

Hollywood, FL
reply to Cashcon
Click for full size
Miranda
Click for full size
Control Rm. A WJBF
Click for full size
Racks 37-45
Thanks...........I love working with Miranda and other equipment like the grass valley routers. Master control was very nicely designed considering that in front of the racks there was only 80 square feet left. The sad thing is that with the HD systems and system automation, a lot of people got laid off. I remember walking in on a saturday at 6 a.m. and it being a desert. commercials running solo, and the ingest guys sweeping and mopping cause there days were numbered and they needed todo something to stay busy.........Just SAD....

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to andymercado
That's the problem with automation. Gone are the days with a control room full of people, it's just a guy with a keyboard hitting next, next, next. Unfortunately when something goes wrong, or breaking news happens, chaos erupts.

I've always loved working in the production trucks. No automation there and plenty of "push and pray" production.
--
This Space for Rent...

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA
reply to andymercado
I noticed you label your terminated data cables behind the patch pannel too, this is something I always liked to do but was always told is unnecessary what is the reasoning you find to do it? Do you do it on all projects or just places like studios? Some argue that the likley hood you'll have to repunch down all the cables to a new patch panel is unlikley in the lifespan of that cabling anyways.

What com system is the studio using? Something from Telex or others?

For your RF distribution to the TVs what's the setup with those splitters are you taking a few different amplified signals off of some equipment and distributing it to multiple pairs of splitters or are you just taking one amplified signal and splitting it a bunch of times?

I was just actually looking for a time clock to use for some stuff, is the timeclock in the studio just connected to a timecode generator or is it a separate system? Who makes the clock?

I'm looking for something to just use on remote shoots that I can use to countdown or that can display runtime / clock time so I have a larger clock display that everyone can see.

Do you need any type of licenses from your state to install these systems or do you hire on an electrical contractor for example to do anything that would require a license?

andymercado

Hollywood, FL
Click for full size
We label both ends of the wire because we do no use lengths less that 15 feet in our racks. All the wiring either goes up to the cable tray or down to the access floor from 1 equipment to another in the same rack.. The purpose of that is for a cleaner looking rack. That is also the reason we label both ends of the wire. As to the audio patch bay, what u see is temp labels. On the com system it was a telex. If you look at the rf rack, there are cable boxes, satellite receivers and in house rf signals. Every thing goes into several Blonder Tongue combiners and then out to the monitors. That particular studio uses old Big Ben. World clock by AJA. We had an electrical contractor doing all the high voltage. We our selfs carry low voltage licenses. Every state is different.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
kudos:1
reply to andymercado
I can only dream of producing something that looks like that! Very nicely done!

FLECOM
Bay Networks Freak
Premium
join:2003-03-03
Miami, FL
reply to andymercado
wow so many densite boxes! nice, I used a pair of densite (think mirandas also?) on an install couple years ago
--
BellSouth sucks