spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jillxz
join:2009-02-18
Cochran, GA

Jillxz

Need Information here.

I have fiber optic cable from a locally owned cable company. it serves just four cities in my area. So it's hard for me to know which forum to go to.
I am thinking of switching back to AT@T when my contract ends in January 2013.

I get 12Mbps download with a data cap at 24GB per month. The cost is $49.97. They tell me that I will need to up it to 16Mbps to stream movies from Netflix.
Do I need that much ? At&T says not.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

No, you do not need 16 Mbps. I have seen Netflix streaming over a 6Mbps AT&T DSL connection.
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to Jillxz

Premium Member

to Jillxz
I am guessing you are with ComSouth. Your problem is the 24GB cap. You will eat that up with maybe 4 HD movies. Are you sure it is 24GB? I could not get to the AUP on the ComSouth website, so no way to check the monthly CAP.
cferro
join:2003-07-27
Jersey City, NJ

cferro to Jillxz

to Jillxz
You should not have any trouble streaming content from Neflix. I do not use Netflix, but do stream movies from Amazon. I would have to watch my usage with a 24GB cap. This month I may only use 25GB, put other months 75GB. I believe a movie can be 1-2 GB.
mccollumr
Premium Member
join:2004-09-02
Sterling, VA

mccollumr to Jillxz

Premium Member

to Jillxz
said by Jillxz:

I have fiber optic cable from a locally owned cable company. it serves just four cities in my area. So it's hard for me to know which forum to go to.
I am thinking of switching back to AT@T when my contract ends in January 2013.

I get 12Mbps download with a data cap at 24GB per month. The cost is $49.97. They tell me that I will need to up it to 16Mbps to stream movies from Netflix.
Do I need that much ? At&T says not.

Well, if you are indeed on Comsouth, and you are on the 12Mb service, then you should get 150GB cap. Here is what they offer.
Mbps Down / Up Data Allotment
1 /.256 Mbps 12.5 Gigabytes
2 /.5 Mbps 25 Gigabytes
4 / 1 Mbps 50 Gigabytes
10 /1 Mbps 125 Gigabytes
12 / 1.5 Mbps 150 Gigabytes
16 / 1.5 Mbps 225 Gigabytes
20 / 2 Mbps 250 Gigabytes
50 / 3 Mbps 500 Gigabytes
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I hope those data speeds are for a hybrid fiber coax connection and not the FTTP the OP says they have. The upload is very low in relation to the download. Even with a BPON system, I would expect upload to be at least 20% of download. 50/3 is ridiculous for FTTP. It should be 50/25, but 50/10 would be acceptable.
Jillxz
Cochran, GA

Jillxz to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
Yes . it is. I had them over last week and asked one of the techs about data caps . He said he thought it was 24GB. I called to find out exactly and left a message to call me . No one has called me back. So , ATT said I could get fast DSL at 6Mbps and a data cap of 150 GB for $48.97 , at a dollar cheaper as I have now . Would have the 6 mbps with att and 12mbps with Comsouth. I am thinking of going with ATT when my contract ends in January.

Here is their website

»comsouth.net/

And user policy

»comsouth.net/acceptable- ··· -policy/
Jillxz

Jillxz to mccollumr

to mccollumr
Thanks for telling me. I don't think the tech really knew that was why I called the office. But no one has called me back.
Jillxz

3 edits

Jillxz to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
David I don't really know. I know in another area , they must get DSL instead of cable.My area can get the Fiber Optic cable but I don't know if they are for hybrid fiber coax connection or not.

When I check my speed on ComSouth speed test , my download speed shows 12.03 mbps and upload speed is 1.53 mbps . I have 12Mbps.

But , when I check Global speed test or speakeasy speed test , the download is showing an 8.53 or 8.83 mbps and the upload is 1.53mbps. Download speed is considerably less than the ComSouth test. Upload speed is the same as the ComSouth speed test.

Is Comsouth's Download speed greater because I am much closer to it. ?
Jillxz

Jillxz to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
The tech could have said 124 GB's and I misunderstood him.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to Jillxz

Premium Member

to Jillxz
It is probably because you are doing the test INTRAnet or inside ComSouth's network instead of INTERnet or outside ComSouth's network. If ComSouth could not deliver very close to advertised speeds inside their own network, they would look very bad. What happens when you go outside the ComSouth network is not entirely controllable by ComSouth or ComSouth's backbone backhaul internet providers. Sometimes your speed test goes through too much stuff and you get significantly lower than advertised results. I just did several tests that showed downloads from 5.44Mbps to 2.4Mbps and uploads from .43Mbps to .3Mbps. I have a 6.0 down/0.5 up AT&T DSL service. The AT&T test showed 3.86/0.41. Speedtest showed 5.44/0.42. Nutty results. But I do not know if the AT&T test was done in Georgia or Oregon. That would be a big difference.
Jillxz
Cochran, GA

2 edits

Jillxz

I do think it is a good company run by good people. And they don't throttle the speed . Instead they call you and let you that you are going over your limit. and ask if you want to go to a higher data cap.

I have not had a problem since I have been with them. Also , I like the fact that they are a local company and not one of the big guys. Though the bigger companies can have their advantages