All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vcool4
join:2010-12-17

vcool4

Realistic DSL vs Cable speed in North York

I'm in the North York area, just off Bathurst and Sheppard. I currently have Tel-X as my ISP, they resell Bell cable without a cap (we also get phone with it). My connection is 6/0.8 advertised, but in reality it's around 4/0.6 max, and lately it's been going down as low as 1 Mbps.

We've been meaning to get a new ISP for a while now and right now we're picking between TekSavvy, Acanac and Distributel, with at least 12/1 speed.

My question is, is there any benefit to getting a better DSL connection or will it get throttled down to low speeds anyway? As far as I understand, for DSL connections the distance to the stations affects the speeds but I don't know what station I am connected to. If the distance is killing my speed, would it be more effective to get cable? I had Rogers cable over a year ago. Realistically, what speeds would I get if I would get, say, a 16/1 connection?

We have a big family and the network is always loaded with gaming, streaming TV, and downloads, so unlimited is a must.

What bothers me most about the current internet is that we get pretty large latency connecting to a Toronto server.

Is this normal for a DSL connection?

Thanks.
donkey77
join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC

donkey77

post your modem stats, that would be a good first step, if you don't know how, search the forum for your brand of modem.

infamouskid
join:2007-01-24
White Rock, BC

infamouskid to vcool4

to vcool4
i am in the same area. check the bell.ca website. we used to be on 1728/640 and got moved to a new remote serving vdsl.
we are now on 25/10.

g121
play lordsgame com | Phone Cops are real
join:2004-05-28
Toronto

g121 to vcool4

to vcool4

i'm at bayview\eglinton & on Teksavvy DSL 15Mb plan .. cheers