share rss forum feed

superpc

join:2012-07-12
Gloucester, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

[connectivity] Getting NID installed on outdoor workshop

Hello all,

I was wondering about requesting for Verizon to install an NID on my workshop. I was thinking about getting a separate DSL connection for my workshop (as I have a studio setup in there for broadcasting/recording and I want to keep it separate from my family's internet connection) and I need to know if Verizon will run the separate wire to the facility and install the NID before requesting DSL service (and also if they don't do it before requesting service, I need to know if they will only do it for a workshop once I request the service).

I know by law they do this for new houses but I don't know about if they'd do it for a workshop or how easy it would be to request them to do it for a workshop. I would like to request them to do them though before ordering internet service, so I can have the place wired by the time I'll actually have money to order internet service to the workshop.

Now, if they did I would wire the insides for telephone wiring, I just need to know about the area to the workshop. Thanks!

Alex G Bell

join:2002-07-02
Boston, MA

Yup, they would be happy to take your money to do that, but, if your workshop is proximate to your home, why not just use the second pair on your existing house NID for your workshop? They can install a six-pair drop and a six-pair NID if you are already using the second pair of the two-pair NID. By the way, you will need to order POTS service on the new order to get DSL.
--
"Remember, Comrade, people who are willing to destroy an efficient telephone system may not be playing with a full deck."

superpc

join:2012-07-12
Gloucester, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

My house has high attenuation since the wiring is a bit old, and it would be ideal to get it directly on the workshop anyways. The workshop is too far away from the house to run a second pair anyways.

EDIT: The workshop is closer to the road though than my house, so that would work out better in regards to distance to the phone line anyways.