inferno_gn
Premium Member
join:2007-02-26
Verdun, QC

inferno_gn

Premium Member

Bell to Teksavvy Home Phone...

Hi there,

Yeah, Bell is being another douche and raise another 2$ on home phone again on my parents. Time for the switch... However, when punching in their number, I get this...

"Due to certain limitations associated with the Bell service platform, TekSavvy has had to impose stop sells in certain situations. Should you be affected by these limitations we encourage you to consider our digital phone product TekTalk."

What does it mean? Does Bell being more a douche losing customers that they are limiting switching? They are raising the bill, yet we can't escape, even that is legal or whatnot?

Also, my parents still have pulse-tone (yes, OLD fashion), switching will turn into "touch-tone"?

Ju Leon...

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by inferno_gn:

What does it mean? Does Bell being more a douche losing customers that they are limiting switching? They are raising the bill, yet we can't escape, even that is legal or whatnot?

Yes that's exactly what's happening, Bell is limiting the number of phone numbers that TekSavvy is allowed to port per month.

If you don't already have DSL or don't mind paying a dry-loop fee you could switch to VoIP or if you want to keep a POTS line you could look into other Bell resellers or even going to Videotron home phone, I'm not sure of the pricing as I'm in Ontario.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

said by JC_:

Yes that's exactly what's happening, Bell is limiting the number of phone numbers that TekSavvy is allowed to port per month.

I'm not sure that's even the case. The stop sell has been in place for about 2 months now.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by decx:

said by JC_:

I'm not sure that's even the case. The stop sell has been in place for about 2 months now.

That what I remember reading from what a TSI rep posted on here a while back.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

True, but that was two months ago and Bell have yet to start doing transfers again.

eots
join:2003-02-04

1 edit

eots

That's blatantly anti-competitive behavior from Bell so why doesn't TSI file a formal complaint with the Competition Bureau? Any time I tried to file a complaint with them about Bell I was told it had to be the service provider filing the complaint.

I too was considering switching my Bell phone service to TSI when my bill went up last month. I believe this Bell limitation is directly related to Bell increasing the rates and it's their attempt prevent a mass exit of customers who want to keep their phone number.

inferno_gn
Premium Member
Verdun, QC

inferno_gn

Premium Member

Hi there,

Is there anything that I can be done?

Ju Leon...

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk

Don't quote me on this, but I *think* that if your parents don't mind changing phone number, they could cancel with Bell and sign up as a new customer with Teksavvy.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to eots

Premium Member

to eots
said by eots:

That's blatantly anti-competitive behavior from Bell so why doesn't TSI file a formal complaint with the Competition Bureau? Any time I tried to file a complaint with them about Bell I was told it had to be the service provider filing the complaint.

I too was considering switching my Bell phone service to TSI when my bill went up last month. I believe this Bell limitation is directly related to Bell increasing the rates and it's their attempt prevent a mass exit of customers who want to keep their phone number.

TekSavvy's landline service is simply a resale service Bell offers, there's no tariff or regulation and therefore Bell can do whatever they want with it.

not
@rogers.com

not to JC_

Anon

to JC_
I don't think so. NO ONE from Teksavvy has actually confirmed this. Martin gave a "something like that" quote but he and the rest seem to flatly REFUSE to tell what is going on. When a company starts acting like the incumbents you know it is time to move on.

ssslim
@electronicbox.net

ssslim to JC_

Anon

to JC_
said by JC_:

They're only limiting the number of phone ports done cheaply. TSI isn't willing to take a risk with higher installation costs so clients just have to wait until their cheap quota renews.

fahim8
join:2011-02-08
canada

fahim8 to inferno_gn

to inferno_gn
I presume the same quotas exist going from TekTalk to a Tek-landline...

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to not

Premium Member

to not
TekSavvy's wireline home phone service is provided via an unregulated service platform provided to TekSavvy by Bell Canada on a purely voluntary basis. Due to certain limitations associated with the Bell service platform, TekSavvy has had to impose stop sells in certain situations.

inferno_gn
Premium Member
Verdun, QC

inferno_gn

Premium Member

Hi there,

So, if I do request the phone service, there is a strong posibility I won't be able to do the switch?

Ju Leon...

not
@rogers.com

not to JenSuisUn

Anon

to JenSuisUn
Another non-answer Martin. What situations? Where is the stop sell imposed? Honestly this is like getting info from Bell. . .
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
said by JenSuisUn:

TekSavvy has had to impose stop sells in certain situations.

"has had to" is probably stretching things a bit. Bell will be happy to take your order - the terms just might not palatable.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to JenSuisUn

Premium Member

to JenSuisUn
Would teksavvy consider creating a wait list or are things just going suddenly open up for all? I have Teksavvy DSL so tektalk / voip wipes out the advantages of as I'd have to go dry loop.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by graniterock:

Would teksavvy consider creating a wait list or are things just going suddenly open up for all? I have Teksavvy DSL so tektalk / voip wipes out the advantages of as I'd have to go dry loop.

Not nescacarily, their is still an advantage to TekTalk as the plans are better than with POTS. It's also dependent on what your band rate is, if you're in A-D than TekTalk is still viable alternative.
MZB
join:2010-11-25
Dunrobin, ON

MZB to inferno_gn

to inferno_gn
Note that it's also worth trying to negotiate a better deal with Bell. I persuaded a couple of friends who weren't quite ready to make the Bell -> TekSavvy jump to negotiate ~$50/month reductions in combined Phone/Internet from Bell - simply by pointing out that a friend down the road was paying substantially less for the same service.

For myself I'm very happy having switched to TekSavvy - but for less sophisticated users renegotiating with Bell might actually be a better approach.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

Does bell still charge cancellation fees for switching if on month to month? I found some threads here but not sure if they are still update as some time has passed.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by graniterock:

Does bell still charge cancellation fees for switching if on month to month? I found some threads here but not sure if they are still update as some time has passed.

I think the current policy is that if you're in an area forborne from rate regulation, you are charged for 30 days of service from your cancellation date if you're simply on month to month.

The charge is of course higher if you have a contract.

switchwait
@teksavvy.com

switchwait to MZB

Anon

to MZB
said by MZB:

Note that it's also worth trying to negotiate a better deal with Bell. I persuaded a couple of friends who weren't quite ready to make the Bell -> TekSavvy jump to negotiate ~$50/month reductions in combined Phone/Internet from Bell - simply by pointing out that a friend down the road was paying substantially less for the same service.

Yeah calling to cancel and having retentions giving you a more reasonable rate is always good but the problem in this case is that we can't call to cancel, have them not give a better rate, and then end up without phone service for whatever amount of days it takes Teksavvy to set-up a new phone plus be forced to get a new number.

I'm not aware of any non-Bell/Teksavvy home phone services in the Mississauga area which use land-line instead of VOIP so have to wait

inferno_gn
Premium Member
Verdun, QC

inferno_gn

Premium Member

Hi there,

A big FU to Bell, Teksavvy now told me that I'm unable to transfer to their phone service (blocked by Bell). This is totally BS...

Ju Leon...
inferno_gn

inferno_gn

Premium Member

Hi there,

Well, I fired up a letter to the CRTC, which won't do much in any case. This sucks...

Ju Leon...
meglin1
join:2006-02-10
Ottawa, ON

meglin1 to inferno_gn

to inferno_gn
Has anyone ported a former Bell number from TekTalk to Tek POTS? I can't imagine it would be an issue, but I would love to confirm this is an option.
epsilon3
join:2008-03-29
canada

epsilon3

My understanding is this:

- you CANNOT activate a new POTS number
- you CANNOT transfer a POTS number from Bell
- you CANNOT transfer a POTS number from a Bell reseller (like Primus)
- you CANNOT transfer a VoIP number from a cable company (Rogers or Videotron) if the number (NPA-NXX) was previously transferred to the cable company from Bell
- you CAN transfer a VoIP number from a cable company (Rogers or Videotron) to TS POTS service if the number (NPA-NXX) was assigned from the beginning by the cable company

notforme
@rogers.com

notforme to inferno_gn

Anon

to inferno_gn
I can't stand the lies anymore.
misternox
join:2009-12-17
canada

misternox to epsilon3

to epsilon3
said by epsilon3:

- you CAN transfer a VoIP number from a cable company (Rogers or Videotron) to TS POTS service if the number (NPA-NXX) was assigned from the beginning by the cable company

Any ideas if you can transfer a videotron/rogers/telus wireless number to TS POTS?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Hello,

For cell phone transfers we need: the account number, the model and serial numbers of the cell phone, as well as the carrier information.

Please be aware that not all cell numbers can be ported to landlines in all areas. If the number cannot be ported, we will contact the customer to choose to take a new number or to cancel the request.

Please keep in mind this request could on rare occasions take up to 6 months.

Regards,
Martin
epsilon3
join:2008-03-29
canada

epsilon3 to misternox

to misternox
Martin just posted again few seconds before me ...and he is the official voice here