HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to graniterock

to graniterock

Re: Bell to Teksavvy Home Phone...

said by graniterock:

Does bell still charge cancellation fees for switching if on month to month? I found some threads here but not sure if they are still update as some time has passed.

I think the current policy is that if you're in an area forborne from rate regulation, you are charged for 30 days of service from your cancellation date if you're simply on month to month.

The charge is of course higher if you have a contract.

switchwait
@teksavvy.com

switchwait to MZB

Anon

to MZB
said by MZB:

Note that it's also worth trying to negotiate a better deal with Bell. I persuaded a couple of friends who weren't quite ready to make the Bell -> TekSavvy jump to negotiate ~$50/month reductions in combined Phone/Internet from Bell - simply by pointing out that a friend down the road was paying substantially less for the same service.

Yeah calling to cancel and having retentions giving you a more reasonable rate is always good but the problem in this case is that we can't call to cancel, have them not give a better rate, and then end up without phone service for whatever amount of days it takes Teksavvy to set-up a new phone plus be forced to get a new number.

I'm not aware of any non-Bell/Teksavvy home phone services in the Mississauga area which use land-line instead of VOIP so have to wait

inferno_gn
Premium Member
join:2007-02-26
Verdun, QC

inferno_gn

Premium Member

Hi there,

A big FU to Bell, Teksavvy now told me that I'm unable to transfer to their phone service (blocked by Bell). This is totally BS...

Ju Leon...
inferno_gn

inferno_gn

Premium Member

Hi there,

Well, I fired up a letter to the CRTC, which won't do much in any case. This sucks...

Ju Leon...
meglin1
join:2006-02-10
Ottawa, ON

meglin1 to inferno_gn

to inferno_gn
Has anyone ported a former Bell number from TekTalk to Tek POTS? I can't imagine it would be an issue, but I would love to confirm this is an option.
epsilon3
join:2008-03-29
canada

epsilon3

My understanding is this:

- you CANNOT activate a new POTS number
- you CANNOT transfer a POTS number from Bell
- you CANNOT transfer a POTS number from a Bell reseller (like Primus)
- you CANNOT transfer a VoIP number from a cable company (Rogers or Videotron) if the number (NPA-NXX) was previously transferred to the cable company from Bell
- you CAN transfer a VoIP number from a cable company (Rogers or Videotron) to TS POTS service if the number (NPA-NXX) was assigned from the beginning by the cable company

notforme
@rogers.com

notforme to inferno_gn

Anon

to inferno_gn
I can't stand the lies anymore.
misternox
join:2009-12-17
canada

misternox to epsilon3

to epsilon3
said by epsilon3:

- you CAN transfer a VoIP number from a cable company (Rogers or Videotron) to TS POTS service if the number (NPA-NXX) was assigned from the beginning by the cable company

Any ideas if you can transfer a videotron/rogers/telus wireless number to TS POTS?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Hello,

For cell phone transfers we need: the account number, the model and serial numbers of the cell phone, as well as the carrier information.

Please be aware that not all cell numbers can be ported to landlines in all areas. If the number cannot be ported, we will contact the customer to choose to take a new number or to cancel the request.

Please keep in mind this request could on rare occasions take up to 6 months.

Regards,
Martin
epsilon3
join:2008-03-29
canada

epsilon3 to misternox

to misternox
Martin just posted again few seconds before me ...and he is the official voice here

Netfox
Premium Member
join:2008-07-17

Netfox

Premium Member

The stop sell only applies to Bell and Bell reseller transfers. New activations, CLEC & VoIP transfers are still permitted. It looks like they've stopped selling in tariff areas as well.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to epsilon3

Premium Member

to epsilon3
said by epsilon3:

- you CANNOT transfer a VoIP number from a cable company (Rogers or Videotron) if the number (NPA-NXX) was previously transferred to the cable company from Bell

Martin, can you confirm this please.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

said by Teddy Boom:

said by epsilon3:

Yes that is correct. If number was previously owned by Bell, then transferred to Rogers / voip etc. We won't won't be able to port over.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

said by JenSuisUn:

said by Teddy Boom:

said by epsilon3:

Yes that is correct. If number was previously owned by Bell, then transferred to Rogers / voip etc. We won't won't be able to port over.

So is it going to be a permanent/long term change? Or is there a reasonable chance that the restrictions will be lifted in the near future?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

I don't think we want this to be a permanent thing.
decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx to inferno_gn

Premium Member

to inferno_gn
Well I know TSI doesn't want it to be permanent, no one but Bell does. But is there a reasonable chance that Bell will life the block in the near future. The thing is that there's is quite a few people who is in a limbo thinking that this block is a short term/monthly issue and is holding off cancelling Bell POTS. So if it isn't likely that the transfers will start again soon they may want to know so they could consider other options.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to inferno_gn

to inferno_gn
Martin,

By the looks of things, it would seem that they are limiting you to the point of making this service no longer usable. If you can't port customers, unless it's a small chance they didn't come from bell to start with, then it's basically hardly worth offering the service. I think you need to either drop the service completely or file a CRTC complaint.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by koreyb:

If you can't port customers, unless it's a small chance they didn't come from bell to start with, then it's basically hardly worth offering the service.

I wouldn't go that far. The service is still useful for some new customers, and existing customers are happy.

However... Given what we've learned about the issue in this thread, it would appear that there will be no new phone ports from Bell in the foreseeable future. That is critical information that Teksavvy customers need to have.

How long has this been going on for now? More than 3 months..

inferno_gn
Premium Member
Verdun, QC

inferno_gn

Premium Member

Hi there,

I already filed a complaint to the CTRC and still waiting for their reply...

Ju Leon...
LondonOntGuy
join:2004-05-12
London, ON

LondonOntGuy to inferno_gn

to inferno_gn
Does this also prevent you from transferring your current number to VoIP as well? My number is with a reseller, Teksavvy and originally started off as a Bell number way back in 2001. I went to Sprint in about 2004-ish, who was then bought out by Robbers. I went to Execulink for both phone & internet(previously just the latter) after I was forced to by Robbers, unless I wanted a silly 'cable phone'.

I stayed with Execulink until 2010 when they brought in their own version of UBB.

Far as I know, Execulink is their own phone company, and NOT a reseller of Bell.
decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

said by LondonOntGuy:

Does this also prevent you from transferring your current number to VoIP as well?

No not to VoIP. Restriction only applies to TSI resold Bell POTS.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to inferno_gn

to inferno_gn
said by inferno_gn:

Hi there,

I already filed a complaint to the CTRC and still waiting for their reply...

Ju Leon...

There's nothing the CRTC can do. The wholesale lines and features product is forborne from rate regulation. The policy of not transferring in Bell numbers is likely a business decision based on costs, not a restriction imposed by Bell.

inferno_gn
Premium Member
Verdun, QC

inferno_gn

Premium Member

Hi there,

Isn't numbers can be transferable to competition or that only applies to cell phone only?

Ju Leon...
inferno_gn

inferno_gn

Premium Member

Hi there,

Well, got a reply from the CTRC...

1) If a telephone number has been suspended or disconnected by a carrier PRIOR to a porting request being received, the carrier is entitled to deny the port, as the telephone number in question is not considered to be a working telephone number. (e.g. This could happen if you called your current service provider to disconnect your service before requesting that the new service provider port the number.)

2) The numbers were not in the same local exchange area. (e.g. Local Number Portability (LNP) was not designed to allow customers to bring their telephone numbers with them when they moved. The idea behind LNP is to allow subscribers, remaining at the same location, to change local telephone companies if they so choose. Having said that however, you can keep your phone number if you are moving and switching companies, as long as you stay within your local exchange area.)

3) The customer's area may not have been opened to LNP. (This isn't the case here as phone numbers 514-768-XXXX are opened to number portability).

4) TekSavvy may not be offering LNP in your area. (e.g. In terms of mandating LNP, we have mandated that carriers are required to support customers taking their current telephone number when moving to another service provider (i.e.: porting out). However, service providers are under no obligation to provide service to customers and can choose to not provide service to potential customers (i.e.: porting in). In other words, Bell Canada must release your number upon request from a competitor (such as TekSavvy), but TekSavvy is under no obligation to offer LNP in your area.)

Ju Leon...
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by inferno_gn:

4) TekSavvy may not be offering LNP in your area. (e.g. In terms of mandating LNP, we have mandated that carriers are required to support customers taking their current telephone number when moving to another service provider (i.e.: porting out). However, service providers are under no obligation to provide service to customers and can choose to not provide service to potential customers (i.e.: porting in). In other words, Bell Canada must release your number upon request from a competitor (such as TekSavvy), but TekSavvy is under no obligation to offer LNP in your area.)

Ju Leon...

In this case though, there is no porting going on, so the rules don't apply. Teksavvy doesn't "port" a Bell land line number to their home phone service, as they're not a porting carrier. They are re-selling Bell home phone, so this is simply a change of billing responsibility from Bell's perspective, and the porting rules don't apply.

inferno_gn
Premium Member
Verdun, QC

inferno_gn

Premium Member

Hi there,

So in my reply to the CTRC, what should I reply?

Ju Leon...
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

What do you want the CRTC to do about it? This is purely a commercial issue that they have no control over.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to inferno_gn

Premium Member

to inferno_gn
You want the CRTC to fetch you a latte and donut too?
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by BACONATOR26:

You want the CRTC to fetch you a latte and donut too?

Everyone knows that you have biscotti with a latte, and donuts with just regular coffee! C'mon!
l053r
join:2009-03-29

l053r to inferno_gn

to inferno_gn
Will the stop sell on POTS be lifted in the near future?