Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

[Rant] This is why I can't have nice things! (car accident threa

So, I was visiting my parents last night; and a little after 9, I hear what sounds like a dryer door slamming - mom was in the basement, so i didn't think too much of it... This was followed a couple moments later with a frantic ringing of the doorbell...

I open it, and a woman asks if my truck is the one parked on the road? I grab my shoes, and run out, to see my truck pushed ahead almost 5 feet, with heavy damage to the rear; and another, empty, smashed pickup about 500' up the road...

Cue the cops, etc, etc... Turns out the truck that hit me was stolen the day before; two youths fled on foot... K9 did get one last night, not sure about the second.

Called insurance last night - they were great - setup tow, rental, etc. Truck is at the dealership now, adjuster will be out to see it tomorrow.

What a pain - trucks badly damaged; but no where near a write-off... 13 mths old, and now this. It'll never be the same...

Sucks.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

Re: [Rant] This is why I can't have nice things! (car accident t

That sucks bad.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to LazMan

I hear you, back in 08 I was smacked by an idiot who ran a red (thinking that a left turn green arrow was a regular green light) in my then 6 month old Ford Fusion, that retard did 7K of damage to the car.

I was ready to cry, the car didn't even make it to its first scheduled service unscathed

NefCanuck

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to LazMan

Yep, and an unclean Carfax knocks $1,000+ off the resale value.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

said by digitalfutur:

Yep, and an unclean Carfax knocks $1,000+ off the resale value.

You mean on average. Depends on the car and the buyer.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to LazMan

Click for full size
Welcome to my world. I still haven't fixed this ding from some old fart last fall.

I park in the furthest spot in any parking lot and the beaters arrive near me on like sharks with blood in the water.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

Which one of the 15 cars is that one?

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

Number 1 and the last I have until the day I die.

LazMan
Premium
canada

Real unique bumper and body line - I want to guess Triumph?

Still waiting on estimate... The box was skewed to the cab, but I don't know if that's just the box tweaked or the frame. My truck ('11 F150 4x4 super cab) was pushed about 4' by the impact... By a stolen '12 Chevy Silverado, so basically the same sized vehicle. Completely destroyed the Chev - it's a write off, for sure.

As soon as I get access to a computer; I'll put pics up... Cause to top it all off, I'm in the process of moving, and all my stuff is in storage.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

I know my car will get dinged up and dented. its more work and stress to protect it than it is to just let it be. If someone hits my car and puts a coin sized dent, guess what, i dont run to the body shop, i will take the insurance money and leave the dent there. its gonna get dented again after all its called a "bump"er lol
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to LazMan

Ah that sucks, I recall your previous encounter with a drunk driver.
Any chance of going after the parents of the little twits for damages?

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

I'm pretty sure his insurance will cover it under the uninsured driver clause. He shouldn't have to pay a deductable and his premiums shouldn't go up either. In this case it's the job of his insurance company to go after the offenders.
--
Tom

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

@Thane_Bitter - yeah, at least this time I've got some say in where it goes, and what happens, vs. the company truck last time... That trucks been back in 10 times, and still isn't right. Even the shop says they should have written it off.

Got the initial estimate this afternoon... a little under 10k, including straightening the frame, rebuilding the box (replacing the inner and outer panels on the left side, rear left post, and floor), replacing taillight assembly, tailgate, bumper, etc, and repairing the damage where the box hit the cab... Insurance spec'd all OEM parts, so no fight there (nice touch - I was expecting them to spec 3rd party/aftermarket).

I'm still waiting on the mechanincal check-out, I've asked them to open up the rear end, given how far the vehicle was pushed; as well as go over the rest of the drive-line...

Calling for about 2 weeks in the shop, assuming no delays in parts.

Here's a pic - doesn't really do justice, but best I've got access to right now. And a pic of what was left of the Chev that hit me... Also doesn't really do justice to how tore up it was...

Anyways, more to follow, as it develops...

My truck

Stolen truck

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada

Straighten the frame? Not an automatic write off? I would be worried about the drive train from the 5ft push.
--
~ Project Hope ~

LazMan
Premium
canada

All about the dollars and cents...

Since book on this truck is around 30; I'm not even 1/2 way to them considering it for a write off. The woman at the dealership body shop was telling me they actually replaced the frame on a 150 a few weeks ago - the frame wasn't repairable, but the insurance company wouldn't write it; it was deemed "cost effective" to repalce the frame from under the truck with a new one.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to LazMan

Eyow, that's a smack. If you were *in* that truck at the time I daresay you'd have suffered some fun facial injuries from hitting the steering wheel if the seatbelt wasn't tight enough on you.

NefCanuck

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

I believe it's a first generation Mustang... 1965 or 66...

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

So, I was visiting my parents last night; and a little after 9, I hear what sounds like a dryer door slamming - mom was in the basement, so i didn't think too much of it... This was followed a couple moments later with a frantic ringing of the doorbell...

I open it, and a woman asks if my truck is the one parked on the road? I grab my shoes, and run out, to see my truck pushed ahead almost 5 feet, with heavy damage to the rear; and another, empty, smashed pickup about 500' up the road...

Cue the cops, etc, etc... Turns out the truck that hit me was stolen the day before; two youths fled on foot... K9 did get one last night, not sure about the second.

Called insurance last night - they were great - setup tow, rental, etc. Truck is at the dealership now, adjuster will be out to see it tomorrow.

What a pain - trucks badly damaged; but no where near a write-off... 13 mths old, and now this. It'll never be the same...

Sucks.

Wow...sorry to hear about this. Kids joy ridding and getting into accidents is a problem in HRM as well...

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to LazMan

Damn, you are fortunate not to have been in the truck at the time of impact. Takes a bit of force to buck the box and roll the bumper up. There are even small ripples along the rear wheel arch and it also looks like the steel popped in around the fuel port somewhat (darker shadow).

Looks like the chevy lost, its leaking (...more than normal).

yoyomhz

join:2003-02-15
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to LazMan

Yup.

Every time you have something nice, some idiot comes along to wreck it for some reason.

I don't buy nice stuff anymore.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to vue666

said by vue666:

said by LazMan:

I believe it's a first generation Mustang... 1965 or 66...

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

Since book on this truck is around 30; I'm not even 1/2 way to them considering it for a write off.

Sometimes they will do what is called a "constructive write off" in which the repair is only a fraction of the value. There is no rhyme or reason to what some insurance companies do.

I bid on stuff all the time that only has a light tap yet is written off. At least I am putting the hard earned money you guys pay for insurance to my advantage.