All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xocsucram
join:2008-10-02

xocsucram

why arent all Premium Channels in HD?

i noticed that CineMax and Showtime have a few channels only on the SD range and they actually show different movie lineups, or sometimes movies not availible in the on-demand, ect...

whats the purpose of this, cause alot of times i dont bother going down to the SD range when browsing the movie channels and rarely remember them unless i catch something in the middle and look at its future showings and they're only listed for an SD channel

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

Verizon has no room to add HD.
dmodert66
join:2007-04-02
Ontario, CA

dmodert66 to xocsucram

to xocsucram
Not only that. Check competitors HD channel listings. I haven't checked in a while, last I heard VZ has more Premium HDs than the competitors (feel free to correct if wrong, I haven't looked recently).
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by dmodert66:

Not only that. Check competitors HD channel listings. I haven't checked in a while, last I heard VZ has more Premium HDs than the competitors (feel free to correct if wrong, I haven't looked recently).

Comcast in my area only carries the main channel in HD. The rest are SD, so Verizon still wins there. Cablevision seems to carry about the same number in HD as Verizon.
sbernstein5
join:2005-01-18
10024-5650

sbernstein5 to xocsucram

to xocsucram
The history is that initially Showtime & Starz didn't have HD feeds of the missing multiplex channels (so Verizon WAS carrying everything they could), but they DO now though Verizon has not updated them.
URFloorMatt
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

URFloorMatt

said by sbernstein5:

The history is that initially Showtime & Starz didn't have HD feeds of the missing multiplex channels (so Verizon WAS carrying everything they could), but they DO now though Verizon has not updated them.

It's worse than that. Verizon used to carry West Coast premium HD feeds and dropped them. Two for Cinemax and two for The Movie Channel, as I recall.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

billhere

There's really no need for West Coast premium feeds duplicating the East Coast ones three hours earlier.

One can always record the East Coast feed, or if there's a scheduling conflict, wait until the next showing of the movie, or oftentimes watch the movie on VOD.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin

Nice to have a choice of east or west coast version of some channels, but they should at least offer west coast feeds to those on the west coast, as well as east coast feeds for those on the east coast. Not sure how the middle of the country feels.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to billhere

to billhere
said by billhere:

There's really no need for West Coast premium feeds duplicating the East Coast ones three hours earlier.

One can always record the East Coast feed, or if there's a scheduling conflict, wait until the next showing of the movie, or oftentimes watch the movie on VOD.

What if one doesn't want to spend $ on a DVR? I'd rather have more movie HD channels, which I'm already paying extra for.
09129800 (banned)
join:2012-06-27
New York, NY

09129800 (banned) to URFloorMatt

to URFloorMatt
No they didn't. Verizon is still wasting a dozen HD channel slots with those worthless 'west coast' feeds.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom to xocsucram

to xocsucram
I have a quick and easy answer for this thread. Starz/Encore, Showtime/TMC and HBO/Max currently offer their entire montly library online for streaming. They should also make it all available on-demand. There, case closed and we now would have 35+ new HD channels available.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600

said by bohratom:

I have a quick and easy answer for this thread. Starz, Showtime and HBO currently offer their entire montly library online for streaming. They should also make it all available on-demand. There, case closed and we now would have 35+ new HD channels available.

Don't see it happening. The streaming is much cheaper and easier to implement for the providers. Also, the entire libraries are not available streaming. Several times I've looked for an older movie that I missed and it wasn't there. To RainbowDash's point, technically ALL the additional feeds are a waste for the premiums. If they had some kind of easy to use VOD channel with all the movies, that would be cool. However, you're going to alienate many older viewers who hate using VOD. I'm 33 and I hate it, the menu's are horrible. And like with satellite radio, I want to be able to surf. I don't turn the TV on and immediately, say, hmm, I want to watch Midnight Run, people like to surf.