how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kungpow

join:2002-10-06
Canada

Shaw interruption

What is this about? The www.shaw.ca website has completely changed to this.

»www.shaw.ca/

quote:
July 12, 2012, 10:00 PM

We continue to see good progress in our resolution efforts and are pleased to report that all of our critical systems are being resolved on or ahead of schedule. We're confident that if we avoid running into any unforeseen circumstances, we will be able to fully restore our infrastructure for our key applications by tomorrow morning. Once this has been completed, it will allow us to activate our call centres and customer support tools and begin supporting customer inquiries.

Please note that our Online Chat is now closed and will resume support tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM MST.
July 12, 2012, 6:00 PM

Our priority continues to be restoring services to customers who are experiencing a service interruption in Calgary. Crews continue to work to get customer support services up in all areas. The City of Calgarys municipal emergency was deactivated early this afternoon and we have been able to restore power to the building. Now the process of bringing up our support services can begin.

We were able to fulfill many of our in-home appointments today and expect this to continue tomorrow and through the weekend. Our customer support tools are still down but we can provide simple troubleshooting through Online Chat - Click Here. Thank you and we appreciate your patience and continued support.
July 12, 2012, 12:00 PM

We've made good progress restoring the services to the vast majority of Shaw customers. Our number one priority is to restore services to the rest of our customers and partners who are still experiencing an outage.

Crews have been working around the clock in partnership with the City of Calgary and the Calgary Fire Department. Calgary 311 service has been fully functional as of early this morning. 911 services are still operating normally and only impacted a small number of Calgary home phone customers while their phone service was down.

Currently our internal network and tools are impacted, which is affecting our call centres and the ability to book appointments and make changes for our customers. All service calls scheduled for today will be rescheduled and we will be calling customers as soon as possible.

We are working closely with emergency crews and extend continued thanks to the Calgary Fire Department, City of Calgary, and Shaw employees who have assisted with the recovery efforts.

More updates will be provided throughout the day �€“ please follow @shawinfo for more details.
FAQs

I have just been installed and my services are not working? Our customer care representatives will be contacting you to activate and support your new services as soon as our internal tools are available. We expect this to occur in the next 48 hours.

I have an install/service call scheduled today or the next few days? Our customer care representatives will be contacting you to reschedule your in-home appointment as soon as our internal tools are available. We expect this to occur in the next 48 hours.

For business customers installations and service calls scheduled for July 12th will be visited by our technical operations team.

How can this happen, were there not redundancies in place?
We have rigorous systems in place for redundancy throughout our national network which allowed us to contain this incident to small area of downtown Calgary with no in-home disruption across the rest of the country. Due to the nature of this flash fire our generators and back-up generators were both impacted in an unforeseen manner.

I can't get a hold of customer care is there a hotline? Unfortunately at this time all of our customer call centres are impacted by this outage and we cannot accept calls. We are working quickly to restore customer support services.

When will I be able to access the call center? We are working around the clock to restore customer support services. Hourly updates are being posted on Twitter @shawhelp.

Shaw Social Media

»facebook.com/shaw »twitter.com/shawhelp

Shaw Direct Social Media

»facebook.com/ShawDirectSatellite »twitter.com/shawdirect_news

Shaw Webmail

webmail.shaw.ca

Le jeudi 12 juillet 2012 à 12 h 00

Nous sommes heureux d'annoncer que le service de la grande majorité de nos clients est revenu à la normale. Les équipes ont travaillé toute la nuit en collaboration avec la Ville de Calgary et son service des incendies.

Le service 311 de Calgary fonctionne à pleine capacité depuis très tôt ce matin. Les services 911 continuent de fonctionner normalement, et seul un petit nombre de clients de la téléphonie résidentielle ont été touchés par l'interruption.

Notre priorité absolue est de rétablir les services du reste de nos abonnés. Actuellement, l'impact le plus important touche notre réseau et nos outils internes, ce qui affecte nos centres d'appels et la capacité de réserver des rendez-vous et d'apporter des changements pour nos abonnés. Tous les appels de service prévus aujourd'hui seront reportés et nous communiquerons avec nos clients le plus tôt possible.

Nous travaillons en étroite collaboration avec les équipes d'urgence et nous tenons à remercier chaleureusement le Service des incendies de Calgary, la Ville de Calgary et les employés de Shaw qui ont participé aux efforts de récupération.

D'autres mises à jour suivront tout au long de la journée.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

I suspect that their main webserver was in the downtown office, shaw.ca and the shaw.ca domain was 'offline' for a lot of Wednesday.

Looks like a temporary webpage with some infomation on what is going on.

I'm not sure what you are asking?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

kungpow

join:2002-10-06
Canada
reply to kungpow

Found the info. Looks like the Calgary city is down because of Shaw. I thought Shaw had a much more redundant network than just backup generators. How about a redundant network?

www.calgary.ca
»www.calgarycitynews.com

quote:
July 12, 2012
11 a.m.
The Municipal Emergency Plan has been deactivated with respect to the explosion at Shaw Court and resulting service disruptions.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to kungpow

Or the thread that was at the top when you posted - now 2nd on the list

»[ALL] Explosion at Shaw Court knocks out most of Shaw services

But just downtown Calgary Shaw services affected, and anything Shaw in that building like the webserver for shaw.ca, internal tech/account tools.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.