uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Joe12345678

Re: [HD] Olympic Soccer and Olympic Basketball Channels

On my system (NW Chicago suburbs), the basketball channel is being shared with The Movie Channel HD. The soccer is shared with RedZone HD and NHL Network HD. I don't have access to RedZone, but am guessing it's not really airing anything right now.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3
reply to osravens

said by osravens:

Replace 2 HD channels with 2 SD ones (Goal Line and Pac-12 Network are being added only in SD).

Sounds like typical Comcast.

Yeah, I didn't notice there was no "HD" after those names, just figured that by now, any new channels added would be in HD.

The only one of the 10 new channels listed in my version of that flyer that has an "HD" after it is "WLNY HD" (Ch. 810) as bubba555 noted.

Both of those Olympic HD channels show that they are one QAM carrier at 717 MHz, so maybe it will be used to expand the number of HSI QAMs in our area then?

scanpa
Premium
join:2006-09-06
Lebanon, PA
reply to rej4sl

806/809 Here for the Lebanon PA Comcast system.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
reply to rej4sl

Yeah there are like extra channels on all my equipment with the tagline "SIGNED OFF" with a sine wave reference tone.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to rej4sl

These new dedicated channels are mentioned in an entry today in the Comcast Voices blog about Comcast's coverage of the 2012 Olympic games:

»blog.comcast.com/2012/07/from-te···ver.html

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

I didn't see anything about channels. Just on demand, apps, online and tablets. Nothing about channels.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

It's just a quick mention, in the paragraph right before the bullet list:

Of course, you can sit back and enjoy all the action in vivid HD on your family room big-screen TV with Olympics coverage available across nine NBC networks including a dedicated soccer and basketball channel as well as 3D coverage on our Xfinity 3D channel.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Comcast also issued a press release today about their Olympic Games coverage (»www.comcast.com/About/PressRelea···RID=1204 ) where it mentions:

Specialty Channels: Dedicated 24/7 basketball and soccer channels are available to Xfinity TV customers, and will total 770 hours of NBC's HD coverage. Additionally, all men's soccer matches and Team USA women's soccer matches will be available in Spanish via SAP.

and:

3D: Panasonic Corporation of North America and the NBC Sports Group have partnered to make the London 2012 Olympic Games available in 3D to Xfinity TV customers. The effort will produce 242 hours of coverage and mark the first time that the Olympic Games will be distributed in the U.S. in 3D. The 3D broadcasts will be shown on next-day delay and will span multiple competitions throughout the 2012 London Summer Olympic Games.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2

PQ on the soccer channel is quite good for the US/France match right now...

Glad to see...
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

FYI - An interesting article on the NY Times site about what is involved behind the scenes to bring all this coverage of the games to us:

NBC Gets Wired for Wall-to-Wall Olympic Coverage
By Brian Stelter, The New York Times - July 25, 2012
»www.nytimes.com/2012/07/26/sport···age.html

Mgsports

join:2004-11-11
Olathe, KS
reply to rej4sl

Is anybody else getting 891 NBC 3D Channel for Olympics because my area isn't.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

According to my devices 891 in my area is Encore HD. However a 981 does pop up as Xfinity 3D channel with having a few "XXX Summer Olympics" programming blocks.

Expand your moderator at work

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

3 edits
reply to Mike Wolf

Re: [HD] Olympic Soccer and Olympic Basketball Channels

said by Mike Wolf:

However a 981 does pop up as Xfinity 3D channel with having a few "XXX Summer Olympics" programming blocks.

Just a reminder to everyone on how the Olympics programming on the Xfinity 3D (aka "NBC Olympics 3D") channel will work.

As it is stated in the Comcast press release about their Olympic Games coverage - "3D broadcasts will be shown on next-day delay" - so that the 3D version of the Opening Ceremonies will not be shown starting at 7:30PM ET tonight (along with the standard NBC broadcast), but as replays starting at 5:00AM ET on Saturday morning.

There is an "NBC Olympics in 3D" thread on the "Comcast Help and Support Forums" site with more details: »forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-a···/1357307

Edit: The link to a PDF schedule of the 3D Olympic Programs to be shown on the Xfinity 3D channel that was later posted to that thread:
»forums.comcast.com/comcastsuppor···2-12.pdf

Edit2: Found a similar Olympic 3D channel schedule on the nbcolympics.com site: »www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/2···nel.html
Currently it says it was last updated on July 26th at 7:38pm ET, so it may be kept up-to-date with any day-to-day changes.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

BTW - There is also a separate thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forums site that contains a listing of the channel numbers, by Region and Market, for the Comcast Olympic Basketball and Soccer channels : »forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-a···/1350633

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to telcodad

I want to make a correction to my post. Currently the channel is renamed "NBC Olympics 3D Channel" according to my gear.

FLASH71145

join:2005-04-02
Weirton, WV

796 Olympics Hoops, 797 Olympics Soccer and 981 Olympics 3D in Weirton, WV.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

801 Olympic Basketball 803 Olympic Soccer and at one time there was a channel called Olympic Throwdown but it disappeared from my channel list.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Sadly now that the Olympics have ended I just want to say goodbye to the dedicated channels. They worked great and did their job remarkably well without any audio and video problems. Soon at 6am they will be gone, hopefully to be seen again in 2 years for the Winter Olympics, perhaps they will bring friends with even more dedicated programming. So until then, goodbye and thanks for letting us tune in.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

Amen to that. Use that bandwidth for other channels. Like espn goal line and pac12 network or more hd channels.
There is alot better use than watching a screen basically say "see you again in 2 years!"

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Well in my area and perhaps in others, channel 801 was an HD ON Demand channel and from the looks of it it is once again. Channel 803 just doesn't tune in anymore.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

mine was 796 and 797 which didn't have programming. Which means they could fill those two channels with linear channels should they chose to.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Perhaps. Too bad no one seems to be privy to their master plans.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

yeah even marketing has no idea. Which is amazing. That's why when I move I'm going to compare to directv and maybe get directv.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

ouch. personally for me when I move I'll be purposely moving only into other Comcast areas. Maybe a Verizon FiOS area if I had no other choice.

Russ

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

yeah even marketing has no idea. Which is amazing. That's why when I move I'm going to compare to directv and maybe get directv.

You should include Dish with its Hopper DVR in your comparision.

Marcus Carr

join:2009-04-08
Baltimore, MD
reply to rej4sl

The channels are still in my guide showing static screens.

psujim

join:2007-10-10
Reading, PA
reply to rej4sl

Gone here in Reading. Disappeared today.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

still on here in the pittsburgh region. Just a static screen.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to psujim

They were gone yesterday here in DE as well. Just another open QAM now just sitting there - craving to have new HD put in it.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"